Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-30 or Ace 250?

Jazzylady

Hi, I had a CZ-5 for a year which I finally sold. I've been at this for five years or so starting with a Tesoro. I was thinking about an XL Pro which was recommended by Monte. But, I cannot find one in my area to test and I will not buy something I cannot test drive prior to purchase. So, have handled an X-30, an Ace 250, MXT and QXT. For the money I am leaning toward an X-30 and would like the comments of folks who have handled both the X-30 and Ace 250. I hunt parks and playgrounds. Your comments are appreciated. Jazzy

"Here is what the Garrett Ace 250 has to offer for 199$:

Display with these features:
Graphic Target ID Cursor (12 Segments)
Discrimination: Accept / Reject Notch
Electronic Pinpoint Tone and Visual
Battery Condition Indicator
Coin Depth Indicator
Push Button Controls
Tone ID, 3 levels
Touch-n-Go Operation

Search Modes:
All Metal
Jewelry
Custom
Relics
Coins

Extra coils that are really inexpensive: 4.5 sniper coil about 60$, 9x12 coil around 80$.

Here are some tips for the new and old Ace 250 owner to get the best power out of it.

1. Tape the coil cable straight up the lower rod.
That way you can run sensitivity much higher without falsing.

2. Hunt in the Relic or All Metal Mode. If you start notching out more you will easily loose 2 inches of depth.

3. If you get a weak signal try to swing the coil faster over the target. That improves target ID and depth.

4. If the target just jumps in the coin range, it is a deep coin most of the time. If it jumps all over the ID range it is trash.

5. If you use the 4.5 sniper coil (just 60$) run sensitivity at max. You can still get coins 6 to 7 inches deep !
This small sniper coil is important for trashy sides (around old houses, around trees in parks). The standard coil sees to many targets at once and good targets will be masked by trash. Try it...it will open you eyes what target separation is.

6. Pinpointing:

If the pinpointing area seems to large go over the target release pinpoint switch and press it again OVER the target.
That is called detuning and the target will shrink and be in the center of the coil.

Now for the XTerra 30:

It cost 430 $....more than twice the price of the Ace 250. Your question should be.....should i buy an XTerra 30 or TWO Ace 250 ?

Or XTerra 30 for 430$ or the Ace 250 with all available coils for 340 $ and still have saved 90 $ ?

The XTerra has even less features to offer than the Ace 250 !

The Ace has 5 Modes and the XTerra 30 just 2 !!!

Did i say that you can't even buy a smaller coil for in trash hunting for the XTerra ? You can't buy a bigger coil either !

The XTerra is a little more sensitive if you compare both detectors with the standard coil but if you use higher sensitivity on the Xterra the target Id will bounce around and is worthless.

Did you notice how many guys sell their XTerra 30 on the classifieds ?
And Minelab didn't even sell as many as Garrett sold Ace 250.
The Xterras don't even sell used for 350$ and that is already a 80$ loss compared to the price of 430$ (new). Now try to sell an Ace 250 for 80$ less than its 199$ price (new). You will have 10 emails in an hour from guys who want to buy it.

For me the XTerra 30 is an overpriced copy of the Garrett Ace 250 idea.

HH,
Andy

I have owned every model that you mentioned. And, I currently use 3 of them on a regular basis. You will find that everyone has different likes and dislikes, depending on geographics, how long they have used the specific detector, their style of hunting, site conditions and most importantly, how successful they were when they used it. If you would like to discuss any or all of them, send me an email via the private message link. HH Randy

I think well worth it.
More depth and sesitivity.
Andy makes some good points though. However, with the 250ace, in a year you will probably want to get upgrade. The XT30 is comparable in performance to Whites DFX, at half the cost!
Just my opinions. I may be a little biased, but it is not without justification.
MM

I realize that it's all a matter of where you swing your coil, but a good friend in our club purchased a brand new Ace 250 about six months ago. Since then he has found just under $3000 worth of trade tokens from some of the nearby ghost towns. :yikes: I don't believe he'll be looking to "upgrade" any time soon.

As for me, I got one just to see what all the hype was about. Oh my goodness, was I ever delighted. It gets almost as much use as my Garrett 2500 and DFX combined. It's light, batteries last forever, depth is good, target ID is good, price is incredible and, for those who haven't experienced it yet, there is absolutely no one like Garrett for standing behind their products.

I bought my Garrett GTI 2500 6 years ago used off eBay (at half what they were selling for new). In that six years, I've had two minor problems fixed, both of which I had created. Each time, the good folks at Garrett fixed it up like new and wouldn't take a penny for their efforts. Now THAT is customer SERVICE!!!

IMHO, the Ace 250 is worth every penny of the $430 that the X-terra 30 costs, but apparently customer satisfaction is more important to Garrett than the almighty dollar.

A Minelab explorer in the hands of someone who knows how to use it is an incredibly powerful machine. This doesn't mean however, that everything that has the Minelab name on it has that same or even similar power.

I really like Andy's idea. Buy the Ace 250 and all the available accessory coils and use the extra $90 you'll have left over from not buying the X-terra to put gas in your car to take you to your favorite detecting hotspots. You won't regret it!

The X-Terra 30 or the 50 take a little more to use and understand, but from what I have seen will go deeper, pick up some coins in with trash better and better quality also than the Ace 250. The Ace 250 for the money is a good detector, but don't feel it will do the job the X-Terras will.

Rick

Got me curious now, if you need a repair, is there a repair service center in the USA. or do you have to send it to Australia, and if so what kind of turn around time for repairs?

I also was thinking of getting a XT50, but would like to know about warranty service, any information appreciated. HH, Bernie

the service center is in Las Vegas and has quick turn around and very accessible.

Is the Christmas special which many dealers still have as you get a full 4 years warranty, a nice carrying bag and a trash bag free when you send in the warranty card. In those 4 years you may never need this warranty, but if you do it is sent to Las Vegas and back to you in record time. In all my years of detecting (33) i have had to send a few detectors in for repair and I find Minelab, Tesoro and Troy Custom detectors have the best warranty and turn around time of them all.

Rick

The Ace 250 standard coil is not 8" ...it is 6.5 x 9 inch.

The best depth ???? On what target ? In what ground ?

Fact is even with the standard coil the guys over on the Garrett forum don't complain about not having depth. Due to its frequency it is hotter on silver coins than on nickels.

On a coin size target you can get about 2" more depth than the standard coil. But a bigger coil is more effected by masking than a smaller coil. There are more coins hidden by masking than by depth.
Get a smaller coil first.....which is not available for the XTerras.

HH,
Andy