Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-50 question...

rentasquid

I havent posted on here for quite a while and havent kept up with xterra news, so forgive me if I am rehashing old stuff...

I've got a X-50 that I pretty much like to use, but I have one issue that keeps popping up (hence why I only pretty much like the detector). That is the all-metal chatter that happens about once a hunt. I remember there being some issue with the detector, when it first came out, with the battery compartment design, and I believe this is along those same lines. When the detector starts chattering in AM mode, the only way to fix it is to open the battery door and reset it. That or turn the detector so that the door is facing up and gently tap the detector until it stops.
It isnt the batteries. (it does it with fresh or partially drained alkalines). It most likely isnt the coil. (does it with the mid-range and high-range coils that I have).

Does anyone else have these problems, or have had these problems? How was it remedied?

Thanks for any help you can give me. (I have sent a note to Minelab, but wanted to pick all your brains for added help)

J. Brown

I've not heard of anything like a chatter. Is the display flashing? If it is a battery compartment issue then it's usually that the springs have been compressed. The compartment design was updated a very long time ago, within probably the first year of production. If you're not under warranty I'd take a flashlight and look at the surface of the springs to make sure I don't have any corrosion on them. A little cleaning of the springs with a Q-tip moistened(not wet) in Rubbing Alcohol won't hurt anything. And some have used a Crochet hook or similar to pull up on the springs lightly(at your own risk).

HH
BarnacleBill

The display does not flash. It sounds like you are scanning over incredibly mineralized ground, with a multitude of pops and low level beeping. The battery compartment looks pristine. I was wondering about the spring thing. Thanks for your help.

J.

When I had my 50 it would just shut off instead of chatter. The only time it chatter was if I had sensitivity up to high or close to power lines.

Well. I think that xt50s do that, mine does.... it chatters alot but I think due to sensitivity, I was out the other day and it started chattering than I noticed an electric fence 100 m away!!!! mine used to shut off too, I got it fixed by sending it back. It still however with partially drained batteries start becoming relaxed and the signals are not as clear. I have always found if I turned sensitivy down to 16, and keep GB it, it works better otherwise it just keeps going all over the place. xt50 doent like wet sand either...... also try the noise cancel button just keep going at it................