Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra 305 On The Beach

Tarot

Using on the wet sand.

Has anyone used the 305 on the wet sand at the beach, and how does it perform. Is the ground balance able to cancel out the mineralization, and can the sensitivity be run at a level that allows reasonable depth. I guess this question also applies to the 505, because neither have the beach settings of the 705.

My other question is about coils.

From what I have read the DD coils perform better on the beach, but the DD's are not waterproof. Would the 9" 18.75 KHz concentric be a good option, it is waterproof, and more sensitive to gold items.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Hi Bob.
I had an X-Terra 30, which did not have a ground balance feature.You can use the 305 in wet sand. Having the ground balance will help a fair bit and a DD coil will also help. The only one that is not water proof, is the 5x10 DD coil.
You will lose half you depth with any VLF detector in the wet sand. Also, it won't like having waves crashing over it as the minerals in the water, will cause it to false. I don't hunt the beach much but a little trick I found with my Ace 250 in wet sand that helped to keep it stable, which may work on the 305, was to reduce the sensitivity to around two thirds of max and knock out the bottom 3 or 4 notches of discrimination. It seems that the falsing seems to occur in that range. I don't remember if I tried it with the X-Terra. I live 400kms (250 miles) from the closest beach.
Mick Evans.

I use the 705 on the beach and have been finding lots of small items (no rings yet though). I think the reason I haven't found rings yet is coz there aren't many there to find in the first place :sadwalk:

I too have the 5x10DD and it works well. Sensitivity down to about 16. I've yet to try with the concentric coil with it being waterproof and all. I'm thinkin i might buy a Garrett Sea Hunter for some real beach and water detecting...

Cheers
Snoopy
12kms from the nearest beach :spin: