Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra 50

Nice surprise, got a "earlier than usual" visit from UPS this morning, yeah I knew it was coming but I'm like a kid in a candy store when a new detector arrives.
Opened the small box, read the manual, and went thru the motions of assembly, man is this little guy light and natural feeling :)
My son drove up about the time I was considering a run to a small site to get acquainted with the X-Terra and he decided to tag along. This is NOT meant to be an official field test by any stretch of the imagination but I did want to share my first impression about todays little hunt.
First off, this ground is iron ore rich/ red clay in most places and is hard on detectors, hot rocks are everywhere and some to the point that they actually stick to a magnet (pea size).
We went to a spot that was used for several decades as a picnic area and Turkey Shoots. According to the old timers around here, only black powder rifles were allowed.
Luckily a good deal of this area is now shaded and fairly close to the river, otherwise the dirt would have been so hard we probably couldn't have retrieved a target since there has been zero rain here in a month of Sundays.
I turned the X-Terra on and it ground balanced much easier than I expected, especially in this soil. Put it in all metal, set my headphone volume and left everything else alone. My son was using my Tejon and couldn't get it to GB right, he was running it to hot, I got it GBed for him pretty quick and we both headed towards the pit area.
Not one time did I hear any interference from his detector, nor him from mine.
He got the first hit, I checked it with the X-Terra and got a soild 12, I told him nickel at 4", he dug it a sure enough it was a buffalo. Yeah, I've been reading all of you guy's post and they were very helpful :)
I got the next hit, reading 27 @ 8", I was really amazed that the sound was this strong and expected to find whatever it was much shallower than what the depth gauge was showing ... WRONG it was a 50 cal. 3 ringer at a measured 8" on the nose.
We each dug at least a dozen or so of these in an hours time, I also hit what was left of a brass cased pocket watch that was over 12" deep and it hit loud and clear ... had that thought run thru my mind just how good a period belt buckle would sound at that depth.
This is a FUN detctor to use ... more to come in a week or so.
H.H.
Mike

But ... I talked with a dealer or two "that support this forum by the way" and they are expecting them to arrive the in another week. Hope all interested parties get your order in now if you haven't already because after talking with Dick Schultz in Vegas yesterday I was left with the impression that allot of dealers have MANY of their first orders pre-sold already.
After my reading all this good info shared by the field testers so far and what little bit I ran mine today .... I can see why :)
Minelabs got something here alright in the X-Terra! I was having so much fun with it that I didn't want to call it quits and I wouldn't have if my son hadn't needed to get back.

"Opened the small box,... "... Small box, well organized instructions and easy assembly.

".. man is this little guy light and natural feeling."... One of the better-feeling newer models to come along in quite some time, and especially for the performance it provides!

"I turned the X-Terra on and it ground balanced much easier than I expected,..".... We can refer to the GB procedure to be a little 'different' from what we generally listen for, but it is going to be easier for many users who have shied away from it in the past. Very easy.

"... set my headphone volume".... Another nice feature to have a separate speaker and headphone volume setting.

"... and left everything else alone.".... In most sites I run mine closer to maxed out, but at the factory preset the X-TERRA 50 is still a very good performer. Much better responsiveness to a variety of coins and similar-sized targets in different ground environments that I have seen from many new model entries over the last decade, by comparison.

"... I was really amazed that the sound was this strong..."... A strong and clear audio without any raspy or 'sharp' annoying responses that still convey nice audio information even at depth when it is a little more modulated in strength.

"This is a FUN detector to use."... No doubt that this one factor, >> FUN << is going to be very important to a vast majority of detector buyers. We've seen several newer models in the last two or three years but I haven't found any of them to be as much fun and rewarding all at the same time.

Oh, glad to see your son is involved with you. I have a couple of kids (the oldest about to turn 34) who enjoy detecting with me as well and I can imagine that he's be considering an upgrade by Christmas. ;)

Monte

Only if they don't want to sell many. Those dealers who are listing it, that I've seen, have it at $594.15, 15% below MSRP, as my local dealer explained it to me.

HH
Relic