Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-terra 50........

mike_wrub

Hi i've been reading the the posts and responces latly on the forum, and some people are finding dimes and penies from 8-10 inches!!!!! Now thats awsome. It sounds like a pro machine I was thinking of picking up one of my own. The only thing that is holding me back is that some of the people are saying that it is a good begginer\ mid range detector. I dont know why they are saying that because it goes deep. My brother has a mxt and thats a good detector. I would like to keep up to him or maybee even beet him with the x-terra 50.

any comparisons or info would be appreciated thanks.

I think you have to put the comments "good mid-range detector" into perspective. Those who state the X-Terra is "mid-range" might be making that comparison to the Explorer. If so, they might also compare your brother's MXT to a DFX and refer to the MXT as a "mid-range detector". Personally, if it hunts deep, is sensitive to small targets, separates trash well and provides sufficient discrimination characteristics, I don't care what they call it.
I have the X-Terra and the MXT. I also have an Explorer and an XL Pro. And an Advantage and ......well, you get the picture. I find the adjustable discrimination capabilites of the MXT to be better able to identify targets than the notch characteristics of the X-Terras. But honestly, not as good as the Explorer or the XL Pro. Notice I said identify the target, not locate the target. I believe the X-Terra hunts every bit as deep as the MXT, deeper than the XL Pro, and is much lighter weight than any of those others for surviving those all day hunts. The X-Terra can be worked much faster than the Explorer, faster than the MXT, but not as fast as the Advantage or the XL Pro. The MXT offers 2 tone target ID (in Relic mode) and the X-Terra 50 offers 4 tone audio ID in all modes. The MXT offers a preset notch pull tab rejection and the X-Terra 50 offers 18 separate notches that you can either accept or reject. The Explorer can be programmed to hunt just about how ever you want it to. Except fast! A big factor, if you are willing to look down the road a few months, the X-Terra 50 will allow the flexibility to change the frequency of the detector by simply adding the 18.75 kHz coil. Not the X-30, just the X-50.

So, which one you buy is a decision you will have to make on your own, based on the priority of your needs. Weight, balance, depth, sensitivity, separation, visual target ID, audio tones, notch vs adjustable discrimination, manual ground balance vs automatic ground balance, battery life, etc. Study them all and determine what is important to you. If you have any specific questions, I can try to help answer them for you. HH Randy

don't let the label "good beginner machine/mid range detector" stop you from buying an X-Terra. It is a good beginner machine because it is so simple to use but it is a good buy as a mid-range machine. The X-Terra is pretty close to the same depth as the MXT as far as I can tell but I haven't done extensive testing on my X-terra yet. One important test of a detector for me is the nickel to trash ratio. The MXT is hands down the winner of all detectors I've owned and used in the nickel/trash ratio. The X-Terra(I've only got 6 hrs use) gives indications of being very good at picking nickels from trash too. So far I have no complaints on the X-Terra 50 and it has been very enjoyable to use.