Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X terra 50

Kiwi

Hi, Hope someone can help me with some information

I decided to learn more about my machine so found an area in my back yard that was free of any metal, cut out a plug and put in a paper cup that I could refit into the hole and remove again so as to change coins.
Tried several different old 1930's coins (threepence's, sixpences & 1 shilling piece) ground balanced and took air test readings but when I put the different coins under the dirt plug the readings were all over the place even into negative numbers but gave similar readings to the air test on top of the ground.
Tried adjusting the sensitivity but got no sign on the small threepence piece even though it was only down 3 inches below the surface. Thought there might have been some dirt/ dust under the skid plate so removed that as well still the same, changed batteries (made no difference) checked the coil lead connection

Any thoughts on what could possibly be wrong or (either machine or operator error)

Thanks John for pointing me to that page, it has answered my question also has lots of information, now to put it to the test..

Because it has information in it that would change the way people hunt and use their detectors. It affects motion based detectors of every brand ,and in particular has real significance for those hunting plowed fields. In your case you are shooting yourself in the foot by creating a void using the paper cup. First make sure the coins aren't clad steel coins, then dig hole, stick coin into the solid dirt in the side of the hole, put an inch of dirt back in the hole and tamp down, another inch tamp down etc etc. till the hole is filled and even with ground level. Not above ground level, not below, even. Move any piles of excess dirt out of the way so the coil doesn't travel over them.

Since I made the following post I have learned more and am carrying out more experiments. Plus having them cross checked by a fellow forum member. If the results hold up, it will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up if you use a motion based metal detector of any brand or model.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,374688,374688#msg-374688

HH
BarnacleBill

I don't know why but detectors hate holes but they do! Some people say then why do freshly dropped coins hit so hard? Because they are on top of the ground! Fresh dropped coins are not 6 inches deep. They have to sink and season in. Do what BaracacleBill says about pushing your coin into the side of the hole. Good hunting to all!