Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra 70 Coil Test Results

SAGITTARIUS

I was just informed by another member in a PM that www.detectortest.info/ had test results of Concentric and DD coils. At the website click on Minelab, scroll down to the X-Terra 70 concentric section and compare those results to the X-Terra 10.5"DD coil results two sections below.

DetectorTest.info
1. TEST TRACK
Several objects (items) were buried 2 years ago, on several depths (measured in cm.) in a garden. The grounds are mineralized, iron-polluted and located close to a Roman road.

I stand behind what I've posted dozens and dozens of times ...... Concentric coils hunt deeper that a comparible sized DD coil in moderately mineralized soil. If you encounter soil conditions with higher levels of mineralization, a DD coil is your better choice.

Having been involved in Field Testing the X-Terras and their coils, and having spent several thousand hours using various combinations of X-Terras, coils and settings in the field, my "rule of thumb" is........if you are able to properly adjust the ground phase reading on your X-70 (or 705) at a level greater than 28, a concentric coil will serve your needs well. However, if your ground phase reading on a properly adjusted X-70 (or 705) is 28 or less, the DD coil design should provide better results. JMHO HH Randy

LET BOTH TEST SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES

2. INGO TEST

The second method is a mobile test, the ("INGO TEST") which was invented by a very experienced German detectorist. In this test, a metal-free spot is located and several objects are then injected into the ground. First, a steel rod goes in. Then, the item is placed on a wooden rod, measures are taken to make sure each object will be kept horizontal. Now the item is gradually lowered into the hole, determining the depth (in cm) the device is able to detect.

INGO TEST BELGIUM MAR 2009

X-Terra 70 10.5" DD Coil Silver coin: 38.6 grain 0.7 inch. 6.63 inches depth
X-Terra depth beat one of the Safaris with standard coil and an E-Trac with 6X8 SEF Coil

DIGGER, Let

as Randy stated above the soil in your area will determine whether the DD or concentric coil will work best for you, I orderd a 10.5 DD for my x-70 months ago even though I was going AGAINST the advice of what Randy said, I JUST HAD to try it for myself, well he was right I was wrong, my 9" concentric coil out performed the 10.5 DD coil in my area with the soil we have around here.

And even better the 3kHz out performs the stock coil on silver and copper coins I have in my test garden. I have them at a measured 7.5 inches, my stock coil can barely hit on them and ID numbers jump all over, a signal most people would NOT dig, the 3kHz coil gives me an accurate reading and good strong signal. And I can use the 3kHz at even higher sensitivity than the 7.5khz stock coil. Not sure why but it is more stable at higher sensitivity. I have been getting greater depths on coins for sure over when I used the 10.5 DD coil, real world experience in my hand and what I can see with my eyes is what I will believe and trust in.

Goes4ever, your finds are impressive and is one of the reasons I traded my Sovereign GT for the 705 X-Terra. Obliviously, the 3kHz coil works very well for you. Your finds would be just as impressive on the Explorer forum. Half the fun of this hobby is reading about what others have found and I look forward to your posts. If you still have your 10.5" DD, would you ground balance them in the same area and see if the numbers vary as much as mine did? HH Don

Maybe I bought it. I got a used one from Richard. Thanks for the reply. Don