Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra 705 Headphone Suggestion

SandPhantom

What headphones are you using with your 705's?

Well I run the 70 but would think the headphones would be the same as to how they work? Anyhow I have 2 sets: Sun Ray Pro Golds and thr RAT Max. I like both and they both really help. I use the RATs the most, but either set would do you well, Beale.

Lifetime warranty, I use the regular and the "Stinger" Single cup, great for hot weather, nice and light.........MO

Here is a concept to consider. I use a pair of Sony headphones with a noise canceling circuit. These are the kind that if you put them on, even if not plugged in to anything, when you turn on the headphones, you will hear much if not most of ambient sound disappear. I've worn them to listen to music on my IPod while on a plane and it removes practically all jet engine noise and only permits clean, concise music to come through. On my 705, when you plug them in and turn on the headphones, the rest of the world disappears except for your detector audio. Like many 50-60 year olds, my hearing is not what it used to be, particularly when I'm trying to pull a voice (or in this case a signal) from background wind, traffic, etc. The noise canceling headphones are just the ticket. I was detecting in Cape May N.J. a few weeks ago on the edge of the water and all of the wave crash was practically impossible to hear. But, audio was clear and right up front. In fact, I find that audio is usually turned way down when using noise-canceling headphones. Much of the volume is used to 'overcome' background distractions. One caveat - if you detect in an area know for rattlesnakes as we do in central Pennsylvania, eliminating EVERYTHING but detector tones just may not be the way to go!

I would give you my model #, but I know Sony has replaced them with a newer model. I'm sure if you were to purchase BOSE noise canceling headphones, that you would pay several hundred dollars, and there is no doubt any better. But, I know that I didn't pay more than 50 or 60 dollars for my Sony headphones. Go to somewhere like Best Buy, and ask to try a pair. You don't necessarily want to try them plugged in to any audio source, instead put them on, turn them on a listen how store sounds disappear.

Right off the bat would recommend headphones made for metal detectors and gosh there are a bunch to choose from expensive and inexpensive...Personally use $20 Calrads and they work well on every unit I ever used. Right now had the present pair for 7-8 years with nary a problem but are worn..No offense but using headphones made for different uses or real expensive ones is a personal preference...and again whatever works....Google metal detector headphones or inquire at a club meeting personal preferences and it will aid you in choosing...

No offense taken and I offer it as a suggestion. But, I gotta say this.... my recent purchase of my 705 was from arguably one of the largest dealers in the US. Included in the deal were headphones. They work, and work fine. But I must say, they are far from being a good quality headset and the trade name of them leaves no doubt that they are not MD designed. I wouldn't pay the huge bucks for the top of the line noise canceling either. Then again, you don't have to.

Sure do agree Dan.I have had both expensive and not so expensive..They both work the same taking into account just a little different tone quality..

morelic55 said:
Lifetime warranty, I use the regular and the "Stinger" Single cup, great for hot weather, nice and light.........MO

Do these fit very tight? I had a single earcup one from a different company and they felt like they were cutting my blood circulation off.

Lets face it young or old our hearing varies so what works for the other guy may not work for you and a competent mult-line dealer should be able to help as styles, personal preferences also come into play so in the end your call...Keep in mind some companies have units made for their units which should be a plus....

is the fit. Most all manufacturers of headphones (used for metal detecting) provide a quality product. Stereo/mono switch, coil cord, somewhat adjustable fit, 90 degree plug and volume control(s). With that in mind, I chose a model that fits my head and ears. I have a fairly large "melon" in that I wear a size 7 5/8 cap. As such, many of the current headphone models pinch my ears or feel tight on my head. I've tried about every model out there and have only found a few that allow me to wear them for long periods of time without discomfort. I use Gray Ghost by DetectorPro. I have the Originals that I purchased 5 or 6 years ago and a new set of NDT's. The main differences are that the NDT's have a replaceable cord and dual volume controls. Both offer extremely comfortable (replaceable) ear pads and both block out most ambient "outside" noise. Like I said, there are many makes and models that will provide the audio reproduction we expect. But the Gray Ghosts do it (for me) with comfort and dependability. JMHO HH Randy

They are quite confortable, not tight at all............MO

xwyokid said:
morelic55 said:

Do these fit very tight? I had a single earcup one from a different company and they felt like they were cutting my blood circulation off.

I have a fairly large "melon" in that I wear a size 7 5/8 cap.

Well Randy, I've got a biggun also. I've always thought people with big noggins needed it to house all the brains........That's what I tell anyway, that's my story and I'm sticken to it:heh:I'm looking at a set of NDT's or the originals now myself.

what do you do when it is hot out? Regualr sized headphones make me sweat like crazy and I simply cannot handle that, in the summer I use smaller ones I got from radio shack

I use the full cup ones year round. I sweat a bunch also. It does not help that I am completly bald, Beale.

I'll add my 2 cents worth, I have several pair and found I like a Sony pair I bought at Wal-Mart the BEST. They were $19.97, comes with the 1/4" adapter and they do not have the coiled wire. I find I like the non-coiled wire better, because when I set my detector down to dig a target, they don't tug at my head and I can keep them on with no problems. They don't cover the ear completely, but have enough soft padding to hear anything you need to hear. They are incredibly light and I have used them for hours without any discomfort. I highly recommend them. A wise $20 investment!
Bill

:minelab:Headphone Dilemma........ Personally, I use stereo 'I-Wave' noise canceling headphones with volume control. They're a 'knock-off' of Sony;s stereo headphones. The ambient sounds around me are seldom heard and they're light. At least to some degree, it's a falicy that you must have metal detecting headphones to metal detect. There are several on the market, such as Detector Pro Grey Ghost etc., that do a fantastic job but they're expensive (upwards to a $100 bucks). Mine cost me $8.00 on sale! They sold for three times that but my local retailer had four sets on sale for $8.00 ea and I bought all four. I'm now on my second set and, for the money, I'll hunt for another year, at least, before the need arises to buy again. You don't always get what you pay for...do you? My father used to say "A word to the wise is sufficient". I think he was right all along.

:minelab:SeniorSeeker/Support Your Local Full-Service Metal Detector Dealer or at least Your Local Retailer prior to purchasing from another source.