Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra 705 Help

DigginDoc

Hello all
I bought an X705 in Mar. To be honest, I have tried hard to learn this thing. I have read everything I can find and everything on here (thanks to all). I bought this for general all around detecting and the TID as well as deeper stuff.
Exclusively used through the summer in parks etc and found some fairly deep aticles. It seems OK for silver (couple of rings and a bracelet) No gold. Studying the forums etc, I determined the concentric coil may not be high enough frequency for gold jewelry small or otherwise. I parked it in the garage about 8 weeks ago and hit the parks with my old unit, the Tesoro Eldo. 2 gold rings in one week and another last week.
My question
What coil is suggested for general park searching for small and medium gold etc? Beaches? Frequencies? DD Large? DD small? What do you guys think? Not ready to give up on this one yet but the thoughts are perhaps a DD.
Thanks and happy hunting
Doc

In my opinion, the best X-TERRA coil for parks is the 6-inch DD at 18.75 kHz. It is small enough to get in to those "hard to reach" places. It provides very respectable depth. It offers superior target separation. And the higher frequency makes it an excellent choice for gold hunters.

Just curious, did you sweep the X-TERRA coil over those rings after you found them with the Eldorado? A suggestion I would offer to those "comparing" two detectors is to take them both with you, mark the potential target with a golf tee or something non-metallic before digging, and see how each detector stacks up.

HH Randy

Thanks Randy
I have practised and read all the tips and help you and the others have provided so far. I appreciate your imput and expertise. Yes, I ran the rings past the concentric as I do with everything I have found with the other machines. The TID and signals tested ok but fairly low. Air tests in the after thought are ok but the idea of testing them before digging is a nice idea if I am close enough to the wheels. I think I will get one of those coils. Perhaps I should have bought it back in Mar. I suppose the 6 inch is better in the trashy areas. I was wondering about the larger DD coil as general hunting with faster coverage if I go to the beaches also.
thanks again
Doc

Hi Doc,

I love my Xterra but only in 4 tone (multi tone is way too busy for my simple brain :wacko:)
I have the 6" DD 18.75khz and the 5x10" DD 18.75khz ...they both are great but as Randy stated the 6 shines in the trashy spots and hard to reach places.
I prefer the 5x10 for general use for its better coverage and have found a few gold rings with it.
Sometimes I sweep a new spot with the 5x10 till I find the sweet spot and swap to the 6" to retrieve the close together coins.

I used to always use the concentric coil for everyday coin hunting, then one day I went hunting shallow, modern, recent coin drops with a mate.
I passed over a signal that the concentric was indicating as junk (the tid was not a normal coin number)...my mate came along and swept it with his DD Etrac coil and seperated 5 coins and retrieved them before my eyes. It was my fault but it prompted me to try the DD for coin shooting and multiple targets close together. I find it very hard to go back to a Concentric coil now.

I class myself as still a learner but after 1500 hrs and over $5000 in coins + gold with my old Xterra 70... I can say Xterra's are certainly worth sticking with.
In my opinion the trick is simply to know your detector well.
Good luck

T59

T59
Thanks for chiming in on this situation of mine. I also use the 4 tones and agree that maybe it is better for now. The other machines are hard enough to follow. This X705 was a way of maybe getting an edge on the others by TID. The TID seems to change so much due to GB, depth, and variety of metal, I tend to wonder. I think I would tend to agree with using a 5x10 DD HF coil in my area and perhaps the smaller one down the road for specific older areas of relic and deep silver. This town is between 2 lakes and great beaches utilized by the tourist trade. Competition is high with 18 members of our club and various others beating up the beaches and parks. This year has been OK for me and I hope to maybe get the "edge" next year. 10 silver rings, 6 gold as well as a few other items and about $560.00. I work hard at it and continue to learn.
thanks again for your welcomed and informed input.:minelab:
cheers
Doc

Were you hunting in one of the preset hunting modes? If so you will have too run your coil over a few different gold rings as they all can ring off with different id #'s and I found I had to open certain id # so those id # would come thru and not be masked out. run coil over rings and add or reject as needed. To be safe also hunt in all metal mode.

Check out your soft -4 -2 2 4 6 readings carefully if you are looking for small gold.
Don't be afraid to use your prospecting mode, toggle back and forth.
If it is non-repeatable in c&t but OK in prospecting, DIG!!

Denny

Check out this video... I am learning now as I am getting a new one next week. Kevin Hoagland is a big help and he made the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPJ7uMulip0

bubber said:
Where can one get one of those videos? It doesn't work very well on my computor.

I tried to just post the link but for some reason it posted the video..... 7centsworth is right but this one came from you tube.... I can download it and email it to you if you line.... If you have a slow internet it will play a lot better then streaming it. If you like pm me you email and i could email it to you or if thats a problem I could also burn a dvd for you and send it snail mail....

digmeahole,, I tried to send a private message, but it wouln't do it for some reasonl Your offer of a DVD is very generous, which I'd gladly pay for.

bubber said:
digmeahole,, I tried to send a private message, but it wouln't do it for some reasonl Your offer of a DVD is very generous, which I'd gladly pay for.

I wouldn't take it. It would take me all of 5 minutes and a stamp. My email address is antandshell@gmail.com. Just send me name and address where to mail it...I will try and get it out to you by Monday.... You have the X-Terra 705 right?

Please don't give up on the 705, you will be sorry. If you are using any of the preset hunting modes you probably have the tids blocked out. I would highly recommend testing with a fefw gold rings to see where they are registering. If it appears they are blanking out use + or - accept or reject to open those bars to let in the full signal. I wasn't finding any gold juwelry either and this is the reason why. I opened them up in program 2 and I switched to hunting mainly in All metal as well and double check with #2 program. gold sounds off around 4-8 id #. I would highly reccomend getting a 5x10 DD HF coil as this will get all the gold, jewlery and nuggets. Let me know if you have more quetions.