Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-terra 705 on frozen ground

rseasy1

I went hunting today in a field (bean field) that I just got permission to hunt has three old home sites in it this field is hugh! The ground was frozen enough to walk on good and able to dig a plug easy enough
maybe a half to one inch frozen ground.I did'nt find anything more than about three inches deep.and the signals sounded lazy if that makes sense.
I rechecked my setting several times just could not get any depth useing the 7.5 KHZ. 10.5 inch coil Running AM when I could tolerate it.
Then the snow started coming down so I packed it in.
My best find for the day was a horse shoe and the very edge of it was even with the ground.
Does frozen ground restrict detectors abiltys to pentrate the ground?

from my experiences with farm field hunting you loose depth when the ground starts to freeze and that happens in yards too, any ground. Also in farm fields you will not get much depth because the soil gets turned over ever year and the coins or other things do not have enough time to build up a Halo effect and also the coins are sitting a all different angels so it's harder to detect them. It's not very often that I find a coin much deeper then 4" in a farm field.

I would to go back next spring right after the ground thaws and before the farmer tiles up the field and I bet you do a lot better...

Mark!
You got a point there !
I couldnt find a coin at 12" when the ground was frozen in my test garden.
No problem freshly buried, with the Blisstool V3 but Xterra struggled.

Have been working frozen fields but newer dug anything deeper then 8"

Mike

I think that it's a couple of things. First, I think that it changes the structure of moisture, effectively making it drier so you lose the damp advantage.
And, recently turned fields have had the ground matrix messed with, which we know works against us. Makes me a real fan of "No-Till"!

I like getting on stubble, but around here a lot of it gets chiseled pretty soon after harvest. Next best is in the spring when it's had time to settle, and when the frost has heaved the ground and pushed stuff closer to the surface.

This new field I was hunting was a bean field with the stuble still in it.It's not been chisled yet, Last fall I was in one of my favorite fields I have hunted in with the X-terra and
my AT pro, it seems like the AT pro always got better depth and I could find smaller targets with it also,On the other hand it operates at 15 KHZ (8.5x11DD) vs.the 7.5 KHZ (10.5 DD)of the X-terra coil.
My experience using these these two machines is the At pro gets a little better depth no matters what the conditions are but the X-Terra is a much smoother running machine with
more bells and whistles like the tracking G.B and the coins + mode and being able to change the freq. with a simple coil change.
Back to the frozen ground in the same fields I was hunting last fall I was in a week ago with the same crusty frozen ground with the AT pro pulling items at least six inches deep.
I"m thinking it's not the detector it's the freq. of the coil is whats makeing the difference on the frozen ground.

If someone has the 18.75 KHZ DD coil for the X-terra and tries it on frozen ground I would like to kow there results.
If I was to buy another coil for my X-Terra it would be the 3 KHZ six inch which I would also bet it would almost be worthless on frozen ground but thats
just a guess,The 18.75 on frozen I would bet would be the one to use.