Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra 705 Virginia question

ScottTX

I'm in the process of getting a backup machine for DIV. I drive 1265 miles to get there and want to make sure that if (and I seriously doubt it would happen) my GPX failed I'd have a detector that will work in that red dirt.

My concern is strictly with the ability of the detector to silence the feedback from the soil and get good depth. The GPX does an amazing job of doing that. Its quiet as a church mouse and normally finds items from 12 to 20" depending on size. 12-16" being the sweet spot. I have an eTrac but it is useless in that soil (and that came from a ML dealer who tried one).

So can anyone answer help with an answer?

i brought one as a back up too for the minelab pulse machine to work in the red dirt in Australia and would like to hear some feedback too? but i can say this everyone i talked too pointed me in the direction of the x terra 705, these machines were made in Australia to work in the gold fields so while i don't expect pulse power and depth am thinking it would do well on small stuff ?

10 x 5 coil is whats recommended .

and plus its a machine that can be used for other things so will not just use it as a back up, i think the etrac with all those freq's is more designed for coin hunting old silvers ect having said that i think from what i have read the xterra will work well on silver too?

Hay pard...I think you will like digging in Virginia soil. Most of the soil in eastern Virginia (Richmond, Petersburg area) is very low in mineralization, so you want face much of a problem there. In the northern and southwestern sections of the state mineralization can become a problem. This is especially true in southwest Virginia. I swing both the X-Terra 70 and 705 and use the 10.5 DD 7.5 MF coil. All of the DD coils handles the mineralization quite well. I have recovered cw bullets to 12" with that coil. Hope this helps. HH TomB

Yes, thats very helpful. Normally the DIV have been around Brandy Station. The GPX has no problem with the soil.

I talked with a dealer in Va. who I met at DIV XVII and he said I might try the Eureka Gold. But he can't tell me yea or ney as to whether it would definitely work. I also found a video from Kevin Hoagland in Arizona. With his info and yours I'm fairly convinced that the X-Terra will make a good back-up.

Thanks

I prospect with the xterra in Arizona. Great machine! I hunt just about everyday and have only had one bad day when I was in an area full of large magnetite rocks. It will make a great backup machine for your GPX.

The 6" 18.75kHz coil gets the best depth and detects the smallest gold in my tests.