Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

x terra 705

joe dirt_1

I'm considering trading for a used 705 with 3 coils, stock 9 inch concentric, 10.5 inch DD 7.5 kHz, and 10x5 inch 18.75 elliptical coil.
The detector looks to be in nice shape and not much use, but it is 5 years old. I'm not sure if I need to worry about it being an older detector or not.
I will be trading a Tesoro Tejon and a Compadre for the Minelab, but don't want to have the Minelab possibly shoot craps on me and be an expensive fix to repair it.
Should I not worry about the detector being 5 years old and go for the trade or forget about it ? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.....HH

Roger

Unfortunately that's the chance that you have to take. Not sure anyone here can give you a comfortable feeling about making the trade, especially with not being able to see it or test it. I would say that most of us have not had any problems with our detectors. With the 4 that we have in our family and a friend with one, only one of them had a problem and it was pretty much right out of the box.

FWIW, the Xterra series in general is quite sturdy, and failure rate is far less than many (most) other machines on the market. Coils are more likely to have issues than the control unit, and even they don't have trouble very often.
I say "Go for it!"
I don't know what you're trading, but there's easily $300 worth of coils in that deal alone.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of trading a Tejon and a Compadre for the minelab. Both detectors look like new. I have a lifetime warranty on the Compadre since I bought it new, and the Tejon was 2 weeks old when I bought it, so Tesoro would charge me 50 bucks to service it. Not a bad deal at all. My only experience with Minelab was a X-TERRA 305 that I bought and tried, but didn't care for it much. I have owned several Tesoro detectors, both new and used, and never had any kind of problems with them. I like the features of the 705 but the age really has me worried, plus what would the resale be on the Minelab be if I didn't like it...I'm gonna think on it some more I guess. Thanks for your help....HH

Roger

We sold three Tesoros in my family after switching to the Minelab 705 if that helps you any with your decision. I don't believe that anyone has regretted it.

That 7.5 DD coil is the bomb:thumbup: I put that coil on my 705 after I bought it and the stock 9" is just collecting dust. My experience with Minealb has been a very good one. I have owned a 305, 505, and 70. I presently swing a 705 and love it! The 7.5 DD coil makes the 705 even better. Go for it!:biggrin:

I've also owned the X-terra 305, 505, and 705. Never had any problems with any of them. I traded up from the 305 with a forum sponsor, and sold the 505 outright (here on the forum) without any difficulty. I mostly use the MF 10.5" DD coil but I also have the 6" HF DD and the stock 9" MF CC coils. Since I've never used a Tesoro, I'll not offer an opinion on a trade, but suffice to say I like my 705 for it's features and ease of use.

I have recently purchased a minelab x-terra 705 gold detector, I got a smokin deal on it as it was still in the box unused and I couldn't pass it up at $400.00. I have read the manual on it and have used it for about a month and found some much older silver coins at 8 in plus. My problem is that I want to search and find gold rings with it and it seems that the gold seems to ring in on the same vid numbers as trash such as pull tabs and tin. On the x-terra gold vids are as follows: 6-8-10-12-14-16, and the trash is pretty much the same numbers. seems like I would have to spend a lot of time digging all low number targets to find gold rings. is there a solution to this delima? I have the 18.5 khz coil on the detector right now ( came with it) this is my first minelab detector, I came from a Whites XLT so any advice is appreciated.

With my 705 my wedding ring comes in at 20. Pull tabs quite often come in 18-20.
Just about any detector you use will skip gold rings if you adjust disc to where pull tabs disc out. And anybody with a bunch of time will tell you that you have to dig the tabs if you want to find gold rings.
If you find a better way, please let us know, I'll be all over that.

Unfortunately, the conductive values for many pieces of gold jewelry are similar to those of modern trash. If you want to find the goodies, you'll have to dig your share of trash. But if you think about that, if detectors could tell the difference, someone would have already dug them! I posted several links in the FAQFAQ section that might be of help. Here are links to two that Minelab put on their Treasure-Talk pages. HH Randy

Notch Discrimination on the X-TERRA - Ever wonder what you're missing? Part 1
http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/notch-discrimination-on-the-x-terra-ever-wonder-what-you-re-missing-part-1

Notch Discrimination on the X-TERRA - Ever wonder what you're missing? Part 2
http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/notch-discrimination-on-the-x-terra-ever-wonder-what-you-re-missing-part-2