Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-terra 705?

I am wanting to know some info on this detector. I have been reading about this detector and have some questions about it. There are certain things i have read about it that i like. Right now i have a Racer 2 and while it is a deep machine it has its faults. One of them is falsing or false signals when ground minerals change. My questions about the 705 is i want to know if this detector does that to? From some of the things i have read, it sounded like it didn't or not much anyway. Is this true?

Properly setup it is a very smooth running machine. The Tracking feature and the Tracking Offset feature offer flexibility that no other machine can.
And in really tough ground, you have the option of Prospector Mode, with or without Iron Mask. You lose VID, but gain depth and stability in dirt that are impossible to hunt otherwise.

On numerous occasions I've stated that regardless of what may hit the market I'll never be w/o a 705, and I stand by that statement. No other machine is as flexible and capable....period!

You can utilize Prospector Mode with any authorized Xterra coil in any frequency.
I personally have even used it with a Coiltek 15" 3kHz coil with great success on really deep coins in moderately tough ground.

What about false hits in pockets of minerlized ground? Have you had experience with that? I had a mxt before and it would also false in some places. I have read that minelabs were good in this area of handling mineralization better than other detectors.

The 705 is much better than most, largely because of it's all digital platform and it's tracking system that resets itself faster and more accurately than others.
I'm not going to blow smoke up your butt by saying that you can hunt successfully anywhere, but you will be able to succeed places where many machines fail for sure.

One thing that will stop you though, and that's severe EMI that will put the brakes on hunting with anything but a magnet. The Auto Noise Cancel feature works, but even it has it's limitations. I have my 705 and an Explorer SE, and between them I hunt just about anywhere I want.
A lot of my success is in places that have been hunted hard for decades. Some of it can be attributed to the usual things like nobody ever happened to swing their coil over it before, but then there are places that you know everyone has swung over it and just didn't see it. THAT'S one big reason I'll never sell my Xterra. It has so many user configurable features to explore that if what you're doing isn't working, you just have to try something else....and you can.

Longhair i got me 705 to try out and so far i really like it. Only used it one morning in my two test beds and then for awhile in real hunting. So far so good. My opinion could change later but right now i like it. For me i think it needs the 10.5 dd medium frequency coil, to go a little deeper for my needs, but like i said, i like it. To me its not enough to go deep, but the detector must be honest, by that i am talking about false signals. So far so good.

:thumbup: I highly recommend that you play with it in your test bed to see how SLOW you can go and still get a good signal response. Often times that it may seem to be falsing, it is actually due to sweeping a tad too fast.

Everyone gets so hung up on speed. The fact is that the slower you can go, the easier it is to pick a good target out of heavy trash or heavily mineralized ground. This is one place that the 705 really shines, because not only does it typically work well at sweep speeds slower than most other machines can return a good signal, but when it can't in C/T Mode, it can in it's no motion Prospector Mode.

Experiment with it. Try different combinations of things. Soon you'll see why I say that it's the best kept secret in detecting, and why I'll never be without one.

JJames,
In 45 years of detecting I've tried so many machines, quite a few that aren't around anymore. The 705 has been my favorite so far. Once you learn it you'll be surprised at how easy it can be to identify most targets by the tone. A few of the guys here use 99 tones, personally, it's sensory overload for me. In time I could get used to it. 4 tones and all metal are more my speed. I listen for those good tones in between the junk. Sometimes even that can be too much.
Enjoy that machine and try different coils. I have the Digger, the 10.5DD(which I use a lot) and the stock.

I have only used it one time, but i put it through some tough tests. Against targets and some minrilaztion, so far so good. Let me use it a week and I'll let you know my finale opinion. It takes awhile to get a detector into certain situations to see how they perform. It takes about a week for me to get a feel for them.

I used it for a couple weeks to get to know it. While it is definitely a good detector it has its weaknesses. It can false on ground minerals like many other detectors. If your a park hunter it will be ok for that, probably really good. This is an honest opinion. I no longer have mine.