Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra Ground Balance Comparison

Tarot

I have searched the forums, but can not find an answer. Hopefully someone who has used at least 2 different models in the XT range can help.

The 3 current models each have ground balance capabilities, but use different scales.

305 = 0-20
505 = 0-50
705 = 0-90 + Auto + Beach

Is the ground balance range the same in all three models, with just more refined adjustment on the 505 and 705.

For example is a GB of 20 on the 305 equal to 50 on the 505 and 90 on the 705.

Also does the beach setting on the 705, just add some presets or does it extend or shift the GB range.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

GB on all three models have pretty much the same "minimum to maximum" parameters. As you said, the 505 and 705 have more adjustments, allowing them to be more finely tuned. If you have a 70 or 705, using Auto GB will result in a more precise setting than doing it manually.
Beach setting adds what I believe to be a bit more filtering, due to the fact it is used to combat highly mineralized salt water locations. More filtering means you might lose some "detectibility" toward ferrous and low conductive targets. JMHO HH Randy

Hi Digger

Thanks for your opinion and reply, which confirms what I had been thinking. I had suspected that many of the features on all three models are the same (GB - Sens - Disc) etc, but with more refined and accurate adjustment on the higher models.

I'm not sure what you mean by filtering being used in the 705's beach mode. Is this something that could be achieved on the 305 and 505 with manual adjustments. If so, would all three models be equal in performance on wet salt beaches.

I know that the 705 has auto GB and tracking, but manual adjustment on the other models is very quick and easy.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

I'm not sure how to explain the filtering in Beach mode either. I suppose a better term would have been to say it is a totally different program than regular tracking. And, it monitors (and compensates for) both conductive and magnetic properties simultaneously. This means you can hunt from wet sand to dry sand, and back again, when Beach Tracking is implemented. Here is a link to an excellent post made some time back, by BarnacleBill, regarding the comparison between Beach and regular GB. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,653711,653711#msg-653711

As to adjusting the 305 or 505 for the beach, yes you can. But you won't have the degree of "accuracy" that you will have with the larger scale on the 705 or 70. Plus, tracking mode allows you to go from wet to dry sand, with minimal interruption. If you are in manual mode, it is best to hunt the dry sand and wet sand separately. And make sure you GB when you go from one location to another. Again, the chart in the post BarnacleBill made (link in paragraph above) will help explain the advantages of tracking.

Manual GB is quick and easy. The problem is, you don't know when the mineralization changes, so you don't know exactly when to change it. Tracking updates continually. I refer to it as ground balance on the fly. And Beach Tracking is even faster. Some reports I've read indicate it resets the GB twice as fast as normal Tracking. HH Randy

Hi Digger

Thanks again for your reply, and the link which was very interesting. In Barnacle Bill's post it would appear that the beach mode on the 70/705 does extend the GB range. As part of his pre detecting tests he says "Standard GB mode will run out of adjustment scale".

Regards Tarot (Bob)