Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra production dates

rlt9999

Does anyone know if there is any way to figure out the production date of an X-Terra 705 from the serial number?

Contact Minelab. They can tell you when it was made quickly, and whether or not it has any remaining warranty.

I contacted minelab Americas to find out when my xterra 705 was made and was sent an e-mail by nadia j. mosley stating they had no way of determining production dates, however i could contact the original dealer and they might be able to help. The serial # could be used to determine if there were any warranty left. :shrug:

Other than warranty concerns, what difference does actual date of manufacture make?

ottawa_r said:
i think someone's looking to purchase an NEL coil :thumbdown:

That was my reasoning a while back, but since i couldn't determine the date, I backed off

ottawa_r said:
i think someone's looking to purchase an NEL coil :thumbdown:

Thank you all for the replies! That is exactly the reason I wanted to know when mine was made. I already know my warranty status. Looks like I won't be buying an NEL coil unless it's a new one. I would have thought that they would know when a unit was made by the serial numbers unless they are recycling old numbers.

I find it hard to believe that minelab does not know the date of a detector by the serial number. What is the serial number good for then? I bought a used xterra and was going to keep the newest one about a year or two ago and they said they did not know. Oh well I still like my minelab xterra.

With all CS transactions, a phone call is always the best place to start.
Beyond that, if you stick to authorized coils it's not an issue. It's only a problem if you want to use stolen technology.

7centsworth said:
I find it hard to believe that minelab does not know the date of a detector by the serial number. What is the serial number good for then? I bought a used xterra and was going to keep the newest one about a year or two ago and they said they did not know. Oh well I still like my minelab xterra.

7centsworth, i totally agree about " Minelab not knowing about production dates" with the serial number.:spin:. I personally believe it is minelabs marketing ploy, 'to say no one is going to sale aftermarkets for our products, so we can keep charging " high retail", so to speak. And i love my xterra 705...... Just saying it like i believe it to be.:)

If that were indeed the case, then Minelab would not have authorized Coiltek to produce Xterra coils, and would have kept it all to themselves. Sorry, but that point of view doesn't hold much water.
If you want to gamble your machine and your hard earned on second rate aftermarket equipment, produced with stolen technology, from a company in a nearly third world country, just to save a couple bucks, knock yourself out.

Mr old long hair, i surely do believe in what i am saying, and i surely believe it is minelabs intention to keep anyone from creating aftermarket parts for their products. ALSO i am not saying Minelab as a company is wrong in that tactic. They put in place a tactic to keep NEL from producing a coil for the xterra line after mid-april 2012? i think i am correct about that date. And also i think i am correct that they increased the cost on the Minelabs to the point that sunray stopped production on the sunray probes for the minelabs because it got to the point it became not-profitable for Sunray. I believe these things are done on purpose. Also COILTEK, I believe they are an australian company same as Minelab, so therefore i wouldn't put a ton of confidence that minelab is looking for outside vendors. Wouldn't even go as far as to say COILTEK might not even be affiliated with Minelab...NOW with all my ramblings, I would like to say my favorite detector i own is my xterra 705. If you look at my profile signature you can see i own a few detectors. Bottom line for me is as much as i like the Minelabs i wish they would open up a little more.:)

Well there Mr. yowow#1, suppose you explain how Minelab's price has anything to do with Sun Ray's decision to stop production of X-1 probes? I personally believe that it was due to a shrinking demand for that product, due to the elimination of all but two models of machine able to run their probe, along with a change in direction that Minelab is headed with future production (FBS2 now being the top dog).

I don't know (or much care) what you think my position is, but I can assure you that I own and use machines other than Minelab's, and also that :coiltec: has no direct affiliation with Minelab. I can also assure you that FBS coils (basically all that an X-1 probe is along with a switchbox) are very different than V-Flex SmartCoil's, in that FBS coils are not chip controlled digital technology like the V-Flex coils are, which happens to be unique and patented technology. :coiltec: had to go through a lengthy process of negotiation with Minelab to acquire license and specifications to produce Xterra coils, which no other company has done. It's the LAW, not company policy that prevents com-bloc knock-off coils from being legally retailed here in the U.S., which is why you can only buy them by mail. If you want to gamble by buying clandestine products, go ahead, but they will not be discussed or supported on this forum because they are a violation of LAW.

I am not in an any way employed by either Minelab or Coiltek, nor am I compelled by anything other than legality and quality to endorse either company or their products.

yowow#1 said:
Mr old long hair, i surely do believe in what i am saying, and i surely believe it is minelabs intention to keep anyone from creating aftermarket parts for their products. ALSO i am not saying Minelab as a company is wrong in that tactic. They put in place a tactic to keep NEL from producing a coil for the xterra line after mid-april 2012? i think i am correct about that date. And also i think i am correct that they increased the cost on the Minelabs to the point that sunray stopped production on the sunray probes for the minelabs because it got to the point it became not-profitable for Sunray. I believe these things are done on purpose. Also COILTEK, I believe they are an australian company same as Minelab, so therefore i wouldn't put a ton of confidence that minelab is looking for outside vendors.

It is quite obvious, since there are some "non-approved" coils in the market, that Minelab hasn't kept them from being created. From a business standpoint, I can also understand why a private company may not be willing to share proprietary information with those who's products compete directly against their products. Minelab hasn't allowed anyone to produce aftermarket coils for the CTX3030 either, their other hobby detector with Smart Coil technology. The reluctance to share that proprietary information is the reason that probes and/or coils are not being produced by aftermarket manufacturers such as SunRay and DeTech. Reputable companies, such as SunRay and DeTech, don't sidestep the law, just to make a profit. You are correct that Coiltek is an Australian Company, as is Minelab. In my opinion, the reasons for Minelab preferring to do business with Coiltek is the same reason many American companies prefer to do business with other American companies.......simplicity in licensing, tariffs, taxes and logistics.

As to using wondering why Minelab has not made it easy for "non-authorized" manufacturers to produce aftermarket coils......seems like a good business plan to me.............if you installed an aftermarket computer module on your Chevrolet, would you still expect GM to honor the warranty if the computer module created a problem and damaged the engine? JMHO HH Randy

Sorry guys, I sure did open a can of worms with this thread! Fact is, being fairly new to this hobby that I wasn't aware that the NEL coils were 3rd party knock-offs that aren't approved by Minelab, and now that I know I won't be buying one. I would also think that Minelab would have a legitimate legal claim against NEL for copyright infringement, seems every time you read something these days someone is making a copyright claim in court these days. At least this thread has been interesting and informative reading, even if I never will know the production date of my 705. lol

HH

No problem rtl9999. Since proprietary technology chipped coils are exclusive to a very few detectors to this point, it's understandable that some folks don't know much about the whole picture. If it were just copper windings in an epoxy filled plastic housing like every other coil, things would be different.

Digger said:
yowow#1 said:
Mr old long hair, i surely do believe in what i am saying, and i surely believe it is minelabs intention to keep anyone from creating aftermarket parts for their products. ALSO i am not saying Minelab as a company is wrong in that tactic. They put in place a tactic to keep NEL from producing a coil for the xterra line after mid-april 2012? i think i am correct about that date. And also i think i am correct that they increased the cost on the Minelabs to the point that sunray stopped production on the sunray probes for the minelabs because it got to the point it became not-profitable for Sunray. I believe these things are done on purpose. Also COILTEK, I believe they are an australian company same as Minelab, so therefore i wouldn't put a ton of confidence that minelab is looking for outside vendors.

It is quite obvious, since there are some "non-approved" coils in the market, that Minelab hasn't kept them from being created. From a business standpoint, I can also understand why a private company may not be willing to share proprietary information with those who's products compete directly against their products. Minelab hasn't allowed anyone to produce aftermarket coils for the CTX3030 either, their other hobby detector with Smart Coil technology. The reluctance to share that proprietary information is the reason that probes and/or coils are not being produced by aftermarket manufacturers such as SunRay and DeTech. Reputable companies, such as SunRay and DeTech, don't sidestep the law, just to make a profit. You are correct that Coiltek is an Australian Company, as is Minelab. In my opinion, the reasons for Minelab preferring to do business with Coiltek is the same reason many American companies prefer to do business with other American companies.......simplicity in licensing, tariffs, taxes and logistics.

As to using wondering why Minelab has not made it easy for "non-authorized" manufacturers to produce aftermarket coils......seems like a good business plan to me.............if you installed an aftermarket computer module on your Chevrolet, would you still expect GM to honor the warranty if the computer module created a problem and damaged the engine? JMHO HH Randy

-Yes sir it sounds like a good business plan to me too

NO Sir i wouldn't, just like i wouldn't expect minelab or any other company to honor such a warranty that their product didn't cause something to go astray, BUT, :) it seems like minelab goes that extra mile. I can't think of any other hobby detector company that doesn't have aftermarket companies making aftermarket accessories for their products. just expressing my opinion.. Hope that's okay .:cheers:

Old Longhair said:
Well there Mr. yowow#1, suppose you explain how Minelab's price has anything to do with Sun Ray's decision to stop production of X-1 probes? I personally believe that it was due to a shrinking demand for that product, due to the elimination of all but two models of machine able to run their probe, along with a change in direction that Minelab is headed with future production (FBS2 now being the top dog).

I don't know (or much care) what you think my position is, but I can assure you that I own and use machines other than Minelab's, and also that :coiltec: has no direct affiliation with Minelab. I can also assure you that FBS coils (basically all that an X-1 probe is along with a switchbox) are very different than V-Flex SmartCoil's, in that FBS coils are not chip controlled digital technology like the V-Flex coils are, which happens to be unique and patented technology. :coiltec: had to go through a lengthy process of negotiation with Minelab to acquire license and specifications to produce Xterra coils, which no other company has done. It's the LAW, not company policy that prevents com-bloc knock-off coils from being legally retailed here in the U.S., which is why you can only buy them by mail. If you want to gamble by buying clandestine products, go ahead, but they will not be discussed or supported on this forum because they are a violation of LAW.

I am not in an any way employed by either Minelab or Coiltek, nor am I compelled by anything other than legality and quality to endorse either company or their products.

Well Sir, I can only say i that read that Ralph from sunray said that they stopped making the sunray probes for minelab because minelab raised the price on the lower shafts to the point it became not-profitable.

Sir i have no idea what your talking about when you say "what you think my position is" So i am only going to say i didn't post to this post with anger, just posting my opinion. I didn't mean to anger you. My apology for whatever went wrong for you.

I suppose that I'm just a little frustrated at your need to re-hash all of this after we've already had this discussion, as if you still don't get it.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1967201,1967201#msg-1967201

Ralph also said that they have discontinued probes for a couple Fisher models. Did Fisher raise their prices too?
And the price of LOWER rods has absolutely no bearing on his decision. Possibly UPPER rods.....but I don't believe for one minute that it was the sole determining factor in his decision. I personally think that he could have easily passed the increase along if that was all it was, especially since we've all seen the X-1 probes now selling for obscene prices.