Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra Small Coil Information and Field Test Reports

wpaxt

Minelab X-Terra Small Coil Information and Field Test Results

As I am sure most of you are now aware (thanks to my friend Randy aka

Glad to see your post. After having been "sworn to secrecy" for so long, I was beginning to wonder if you and I would ever get to "talk detecting" again! Good to hear from you! And again, very good report. Thanks for sharing it with us. HH Randy

ausflag:
Hi Bill{s.ca}
One thing you did not mention about the 6 inch coils was are they waterproof. I have been speaking to Minelab here in AUSTRALIA and they told me that the 6 inch coils are waterproof.

Regards Pinpointa Down Under In Oz.:twodetecting:

n/t

Why do you suppose the small coil effects the ground track mode on the X-70 ??????

Elton,

I can tell you that these are VERY sensitive coils. Perhaps that causes the ground tracking to have a tough go of it, but I'm no engineer so I can't be sure. I seldom use ground tracking on the 70 anyway as I prefer to manually check and set the GB myself so it really isn't an issue.

Bill (S. CA)

Hey, Jerry, how are ya?

My guess is that it is due to the higher frequency of the DD.

Nice coils--you gonna try one?

Hope you are doing well.

Bill (S. CA)

I have no cause to immerse the coil as I only use large coils at the beach so I neglected to mention that fact.

Thanks for catching it!

Bill (S. CA)

Right back at you, my friend. Your intro to the small coils post was great.

Yes, it is nice to be able to share this info with everybody after the long wait.

Talk to you soon, buddy!

Bill

Great report.Thanks

Even if i dont hunt nuggets it will be very interesting to see the reports from dedicated nuggethunters like BT. Wonder how small nuggets he can find with this DD coil......

Waterproof and sturdy, 6" on square tabs. This is going to be killer coils both for US and Europe.

Bjorn

They will both come in the opposite configuration too or atleast a 7.5 DD now that most things are ready.

That would be less devolpment cost and more profit %%%

me thinks so....

does that take the chattering out of the ground tracking on the 70?

seems a shame one of the 70s features gets sacrificed for a new coil.

thanks,
neil

You know I am going to get one. As much as I hunt in the iron trash and the regular trash I really need a small coil for my X70. Been waiting for this one for a while. I keep the 5X10 18.75 on my X70 90% of the time. It still don't hunt like a small coil will. guess I will wait till the DD 18.75 comes out. I like the DD coils better then the Concentric for my kind of hunting. E-mail me once in a while. All us old guys try to keep in touch with one another. You Lurk more then I do :rofl: I thought I was bad. :crazy: Later Bud, HH and good review. Thanks, :D: :D: Jerry Aka Tinfoil

n/t

Why am I an Aussie and I am reading all about one of our products from the other side of the world? :rage:

Guilty as charged--I do probably lurk too much. Sometimes the informational nature of the forums gets too "debate-oriented" and that's when I bail for a bit. Seeing the finds that folks make & sharing info with guys like you is what I truly enjoy.

I'll do my best to stay in better touch, promise!

Bill

Neil,

Tried that but it didn't help. I'll be honest that I don't use the tracking feature much anyway, and since I was doing well with manually GB'ing I never went back to mess with it. My guess is that since the coils are very sensitive and the ground was loaded with trash that perhaps the tracking was tuning to the trash and then the ground as it reset itself which may have accounted for the additional noise.

If you'd like, I can take my 70 out for another go next weekend to a couple of different parks and then post a test just of my results with regard to tracking. I'd be happy to do this so don't feel like you are imposing.

Bill

Like Bill, I found the tracking mode to be a bit "hot" for my preferences. Now I am a guy who likes to run his X-Terra on the brink of chatter. But the small coil seemes to intensify the sensitivity settings, compared to the larger coils. Here is my theory on why. Keep in mind this is just my opinion. I may not have a clue as to what I am talking about......

I wonder if maybe the X-70 Tracking mode operates in conjunction with software programs designed around the stock coil? If so, and these new small coils are a bit more sensitive, then maybe the GB being continually updated at the stock coil levels is what makes them seem a bit hot. ??? Remember that Tracking updates and adjusts the GB every few seconds. If you are sweeping through a particularly trashy area, those readings can change with every target you encounter. Even the X-70 Manual says that the sensitivity may have to be lowered in areas with a high amount of trash. The manual also recommends that you shut the Tracking off when you have detected a target. This is due to the fact that the detector will GB to the target instead of the ground, with repeated passes of the coil. (as in Xing over it).

During my tests, I found that both coils were extremely sensitive, even when ground balanced "normally". Normal for me is to use AutoGB, then confirm it manually. Typically, I like to run my larger coils a couple of points more positive. That lets me hear a bit of chatter when I am being sloppy with my swings. With the small coils, (more so in the concentric), I found that setting the GB a couple points negative, and lowering the sensitivity a couple points would allow them to run more like I use the larger coils. Now before some of you get the idea that there is something wrong with the small coils, let me explain a few things. There is nothing wrong with sensitivity when you have controls to lower it. In fact, I would be disappointed if a coil wasn't very sensitive to small targets. No two coils are going to respond exactly the same for any two of us. The other two field reports have confirmed that for me, on these coils. Lots of similarities mixed in with a few differences.
During the past 18 months, I have posted that I ran a lower sensitivity on all my 18.75 kHz coils (compared to the 7.5 kHz and 3 kHz) for stability. I usually boost the sensitivity of my 3 kHz and 7.5 kHz coils at those same sites. With each of these new, small coils, I again lower the sensitivity and prefer to run without tracking for the reasons I have mentioned. But like I said, being sensitive is a good thing in a small coil. JMHO Randy