Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra vs Quattro

Clifford Powell

I had pretty much made up my mind to buy a Quattro after the first of the year but now with the introduction of the X-Terra 50 I'd like to know how they stack up against each other. I like the idea of a lighter machine but I don't want to sacrifice depth. I also like the apparent shorter learning curve of the 50. So, with that said, what are the opinions?

TIA
Cliff - - -

I think the XTerras can not be compared to the Quattro or Explorers.

The Explorer and Quattro with the FBS need to be sweeped slow and do better on the wet part of the beach than any single frequency detector. But don`t forget the weight of these detectors.

The new XTerras should be compared to other single frequency detectors like the Whites MXT, Garrett GTP 1350 and others.

I ordered one and will put it up against my Whites MXT. To this day i think the MXT is the best metered single frequency detector and i want to see how the Xterra 50 compares to it.

There will be situations where the Xterras will do better than the Explorer or Quattro.
Like in an competition hunt because the Xterras are lightweight and can be swinged faster.

HH,
Andy

I've not used the X-TERRA but I can comment on the Quattro. There have been quite a few people get the Quattro that will echo the same thing to you that I am about to testify towards.

That said...go read the Quattro classroom forum and you'll note that most of the people that love it are using it on the beach. And the general agreement is that it is not so great on land. It has an EXTREMELY slow recovery time. It has two modes of operation to kind of counter act this...high and low trash density settings. The low setting is where the machine is suppose to shine...where as the high setting the number IDs bounce around A LOT. The thing with the Quattro was the nulling. You could either run it in all metal and stop the nulling or just deal with it...but the problem with just dealing with it is that unless you are going at a snail crawl you'll be missing good targets in trashy sites due to the S-L-O-W recovery of the detector. In my testing of it, I would actually have to lift the coil up in the air for the treshold to reset in order to detect things in my test garden and in real world sites I took it to. I hated it for that very reason...much prefer a faster response machine and I think alot of other users did too.

I'm hearing the X-TERRAs can be swept faster...somewhat like the Musky Advantage...and I hope the target seperation is about like that of the Musky or possibly in that ball park.

Thanks for the replies. I had thought I would get a Quattro after the first of the year but maybe now I need to look at the Explorer and the X-Terra as I'm in NM and will not be beach hunting much at all.

Cliff - - -