Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

x_terra 705 coils

harryh31

Hi
I have x terra 705 detector with two coils........
minelab 10.5" DD 7.5 kHz
minelab 6" DD 18.75 kHz
What benefit would I get from obtaining a Minelab 10" x 5" elliptical HF 18.75 kHz DD X terra coil ( IF ANY) considering
I have the opportunity to search along river bank and adjacent ground which is fairly overgrown.

I don't think you would gain anything except ground coverage. And the 5x10 is not waterproof. The 6 inch is. I like my 6 coil a lot.

I have both of these coils for my 705 and I agree with 7centsworth that you won't notice any difference in performance. They're both deadly accurate on clad and silver with the bonus that they are both very sensitive to small gold rings. Always investigate a steady TID 8. So if the terrain is rough or wet, put on the 6" but if you want to cover a sports field with the same sensitivity to gold, then switch to the 5x10" and you'll be finished before game day. Both well worth the cost. Good Luck. :minelab:

Hello Syd BC,
Thanks for your reply............when you stated "they're both deadly accurate on clad and silver" did you mean gold and silver ?
also can you please tell me ......if when swinging the coil over the ground or sand , and when the coil touches the ground you get a signal does that indicate
the sensitivity is to high ?

Hi Harryh31,
I meant that the TID on these HF coils is deadly accurate and consistent on clad and silver coins. A US clad quarter or a Canadian silver quarter are almost always a TID 44 and down to about 6 inches it will be accurate. A US dime, clad or silver is almost always a TID 40. Of course I'm talking about the soil around here so other places may be different. Canadian steel coins are harder to detect but these HF coils are the best that I have ever used on these low conductors.

I usually run the sensitivity at 25 or higher and yes you might get a false signal if the coil touches the ground. I've never had a problem on grass like sports fields but you may have to turn the sensitivity down over sand. The one thing that I like best about these HF coils is that they are very sensitive to gold. For parks and sports fields I like to notch out the ferrous items and pay special attention to TID 8-12 and 20-26 for gold rings, but on any number, if the 705 "locks on" with little or no bounce it's a very good sign. Good luck.
Syd

Hi Syd,
Thanks for your reply, I live in the west midlands in U K, that's why I was unfamiliar with the term clad.
I'm understanding the 705 a bit better now........got to start looking into how to "notch out" now, bit more reading of Randy Horton's manual on the 705 should sort that out.
Harry

Hi Harry. You should get more depth with a ten incher.
We usually say that a coils depth is roughly equal to the diameter of the coil.
So you should expect that to have around a ten inch depth.
A couple of other things to think about:
You say that you will be hunting river banks.
First of all, river banks are the most difficult terrain there is to dig in. Just hard packed rocks, sometimes LARGE rocks.
You need to ask yourself, do I really want to be digging down ten to twelve inches in this kind of terrain? If so, you need to be ready for a very serious physical workout!!
Next, you mentioned that the river has some overgrowth. A ten incher is going to be difficult to use in overgrowth.
Personally, I would stick to the 6 incher that you already have. These rivers usually are super highly mineralized, with almost every mineral in the elements chart. Your six incher should be able to provide more separation among all these different minerals.

Hi MassSaltH20,
"Serious physical Workout".........no-way!!.......river banks are out, I'm in my mid 80's, I'll stick to flat easy going terrain in the fields, adjacent to the river.
Think I will select a small area and search it first with 6" DD 18.75 KHZ coil, and then go over it again with the 10.5" DD 7.5 KHZ coil and experiment,
H

Hi Kev
Very disappointing first visit to this new site, chose what appeared to be a good field only to find it was full of trash, i think the owner had over the previous years used it as a dumping ground for all of his site rubbish, levelled it off, turned it over and now , quite recently, started to use it as an overflow car park, Bottle caps, pull rings, old cans, old motorbike engine parts, silver paper, I think every TID number was indicated at sometime or other, and every time you move the coil you would get a signal all finds were at 6" deep.
I think I know what your next comment will be.................Discriminate , knock out all the trash numbers.............. At least I know the 705 works..........., and how!!!!!!!
Harry

Hi Harry. Sorry about that!
No, I would avoid a site like that like the plaque.
Seriously. There has to be better places for you.
Happy hunting. :crazy:

Hi,Kev,
This is slightly off the topic, but I think, relevant, because of the experience of that trashy site the other day. i want to experiment at home with different buried objects to get used to the tones and the TID numbers, and my two coils, I've got a plastic bin about 30 cms high, which am going to fill and then bury various items one at a time, and run tests. I had thought about filling with soil .... but wondered if sand might be easier to use, which do you think would give best results......( I know sand would be easiest to bury and recover the items )
H

Hi Harry. I think that is a great idea you have. Just make sure the bins are deep enough.
Depends on what kind of terrain you will be hunting.
As a beach hunter, of course I would use sand.
Try and fill your bins with soil that is representative of the terrain you will be hunting in.
One more thing. A target that has been buried for decades will sound different than a just buried target.
And probably will have a different TID number as well.
But the bins should give you a general idea of what you are looking at.
What are you looking for, BTW?
If you have several different targets that you would like to find, for example, old coins and also gold,
You should have a different coil and setup for each target.
Put on your first coil, set the settings for your first target, and search the area.
Then put on your other coil, set the settings for your other target, and research the area again.
I think a lot of hunters are lazy. They just want to use one coil to find different targets.
I do not think this is a good way to go.
For example, if one wants to find silver and coins, they should run a 3 kHz coil with the right setup.
If they are hoping to find gold, they should switch to a high freq coil with the right setup, and research the area again.
Let me know how your idea works out plz.
Happy hunting. Oh, BTW, my new toy came in yesterday. :biggrin:
Kev :crazy:

Hi Kev,
Thanks for your thoughts on that.......searching for coins and roman artifacts.........whats your new toy.....not a cuddly teddy I hope !!!! LOL
H

My new toy is a brand new Minelab X-terra 705.
Still trying to memorize the different buttons and whatnot.
Maybe head out Monday morning for my first hunt if the tide cooperates.
I havent checked the tide schedule yet.
Happy hunting, Kev :crazy:

Congrats on getting your new toy. I don't think you will regret it. when you have familiarised yourself with the controls etc. you will find yourself considering purchasing other coils available for the 705, which one have you got now.?
The problem of which coil you should add to your collection for the 705 needs a lot of consideration, they are rather expensive. (when you change your coil on the 705 ...... you change your machine)
I have made my test box filled with sand to practice and get familiar with the TID numbers and tones of the 705. Will start practising today.
Happy hunting with the 705
Harry

Just spent a couple of hours practising at home .....well worth it.
Used £1 coin, silver ring, gold ring, 2p coin, nail.

These points may be elementary to the more experienced but can be considered useful on the newbies learning curve.

a) sweep very slowly
b) 10.5" DD 7.5 KHZ Minelab coil recovers 6" - 8" plus...........6" DD 18.75 KHZ Minelab coil recovers at 3"-4" (designers of this 6" coil must have had aged users in mind, I'm fed up digging deep holes to find large trash)
c) using the 6" coil, the audio / tone signals and the TDI numbers are much more steadier and constant than on the 10.5" coil.
d) Discrimination seems to be better using the 6" coil.

Practising at home, when raining or dark, saves time when out on site.

Wish I had the coiltek 6" (Digger) 3.75 KHZ coil ............next on the purchase list, I think. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS. Comments welcome.