Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XLT Repair

I have an XLT that's been shutting itseft off. I'll be hunting along and all of the sudden it's off. Sometimes when I turn it on only half of the screen comes on, then I shut it off and turn it back on and it's okay then. Any suggestions, or is it time to send it in for a repair? Oh yeah, I also have to put someting between the battery and the lid to make sure it has a good seat with the battery contacts in the front of the control box..

My XLT needed the contact prongs pulled out a little bit. I used a piece of a hanger to pull them out.

The XLT shutting off could be because of intermittent loss of power due to the poor contact.

Use the eraser on a pencil to clean the contact in the detector and on the battery pack.

If it keeps shutting down send it in to White's. Sweet Home charges a flat rate to diagnose and repair. Last February is was $56 + the parts and $12 return shipping.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Alan,
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I did all of the above. Looks like I may have to send it in for some servicing. Thanks again.
Sheldon

Hi,
Maybe your battery pack is losing its

I was using my backup pack with the 8 AA's the last few times it did it. I even put a kleenex between the battery and the door to make sure it was getting good contact and it still did it. Thanks for the info though.

If you're feeling brave, you could open the case and unplug/plug all the connectors you can find. Most of these problems are caused by loose connections or built up oxidation on the connector pins.
Since you've about reached the point of sending it in anyway, I figure you've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Good luck!

I once purchased a non working shortwave radio receiver. I got it home and was messing around with it and plugged in some headphones and though I heard a very faint bit of static. I got some q-tips and some deoxit (a chemical used to clean electrical contacts, pots and etc) and cleaned the inside of the jack real well and the old receiver came to life. It seems that the internal switch in the jack was filmed over and wasn't allowing the audio to get to the speaker or the headphones thus getting me another estate sale bargain. It sounds like the last poster indicated,,,, something isn't making a good contact.