Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XP 11" or 9 low freq.

cookie58

Is there any difference in depth between the 11 and 9" low frequency coils? I have just the 9" and like it a lot----weight and size. This is for relic hunting. I have noticed some problems with high grass. Another question----Does depth change the tone. I use the hot program and full tones. What about pitch for the tone?

On the important targets the 11" is about 1 1/2" deeper on average. 12kHz being deepest on most things including silver coins.

11" is deeper on small silver too, which is nice to have gained depth instead of loosing sensitivity.

Depth does change the sounds from round, beep like hit to a drawn out tone, gentler tone.

I have a 11 and 9 and the 9 gets used 98% of the time unless im field hunting.

Thanks for the information fellows. Hey Calabash Digger. Do you use your pitch program for relic hunting and how does it work with bad, red and clay type soil?

It's my understanding that the lower the kHz the better for silver and depth increases. Gold detectors run at higher kHz to hit better on gold.

Lower khz is ok on high conductor milled silver, for small thin hammered silver and reales etc 12+khz is better.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
It's my understanding that the lower the kHz the better for silver and depth increases. Gold detectors run at higher kHz to hit better on gold.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
How many hammered silvers have you found in the United States?

North America has 5 cent silver and deeper dimes on edge.

I literally just got home from a hunt where I found a deep silver dime and a thin 1.2 gram silver pendant in 12kHz. The pendant is 0.5mm thick. (20 thou) and has a smaller diameter then the dime.

I've only found one and it was a BIG surprise!
Don't find many on the west coast.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
How many hammered silvers have you found in the United States?

You can find them, i think you class them as colonial sites, quite often i see folk post big old coppers and the thin silver spanish reales, there's late 1600's uk hammered coins that are possible as well.

I usually hunt in 8kHz. Maybe I should up the kHz for on edge coins. I wonder if I'd lose much depth going 12 as opposed to 8. Probably not much.

hairymonsterman said:
HuntinDog said:
I've only found one and it was a BIG surprise!
Don't find many on the west coast.

Defo looks like a hammered, what diameter is it, it looks like a long cross on the back.

Hairy,
It's about the size of a US dime and thin as hell.
the back has the shield with castles and lions but it's tough to see.
I haven't found an example of the cross yet to attribute it to.
It is a cool find that I never would have thought I would have found.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
I usually hunt in 8kHz. Maybe I should up the kHz for on edge coins. I wonder if I'd lose much depth going 12 as opposed to 8. Probably not much.

Depth on what?

12kHz is deeper on most coins then 8,4 or 18 kHz.

Perhaps 8kHz is deeper on 1 ounce copper but for the "regular" size coins 12kHz is the deeper freq by a considerable amount, assuming average "regular" mild dirt.

There might be certain situations where 8kHz hits lower due to bad mineralization or whatever, but that is the exception to the rule and a special situation.

18kHz is good for on edge coins, (But is shallower),I usually use 12 first then come back in 18 to eek out some extra coins and whatnot.

It appears that size factors into the frequency used as much as conductivity ultimately.

enderman said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

Depth on what?

Perhaps 8kHz is deeper on 1 ounce copper but for the "regular" size coins 12kHz is the deeper freq by a considerable amount, assuming average "regular" mild dirt.

There might be certain situations where 8kHz hits lower due to bad mineralization or whatever, but that is the exception to the rule and a special situation.

18kHz is good for on edge coins, (But is shallower),I usually use 12 first then come back in 18 to eek out some extra coins and whatnot.

It appears that size factors into the frequency used as much as conductivity ultimately.

Depth on coins like silver dimes and quarters.
It's my understanding that the higher frequency a detector uses the less depth one gets.
Some gold nugget detectors use very high frequencies but there is a loss in depth.
The lower the frequency, the harder the hit on high conductors like silver coins. But I could be right about this. :)

That is the general consensus, that low frequncies hit high conductors better. It's mostly what I attribute the Etrac/Explorer/BBS sucess on silver to. They operate at a 1.5kHz fundamental frequency which is right in the sweet spot for silver coins if you look at resonant frequency. (800Hz to 3kHz for Big silver to small silver)

However, there are always compromises, despite being at the right resonant frequency, the total package isn't overly sensitive on the small stuff, though I've hit silver dimes at 10", I've never dug a fishscale deeper then around 4" with an Etrac.
The Deus in 12kHz is inches deeper on that same coin in an air test, time will tell how deep I will hit one in the ground, they are a fairly scarce coin. Etrac is "multi frequency", however the higher frequencies are harmonics that diminish in signal stregth as they go higher, if I'm understanding it correctly. So the Etrac can hit dimes fairly deep with the help of some higher frequency information, but it's not the same as running that higher frequency at full strength.

The reason why 12kHz seems to be better then 4kHz on silver coins is because the higher frequency is more sensitive to smaller items, so as I say it's not just the conductivity, but the conductivity and size of the target.

To really drive this home I suggest you take your Deus in Basic 1 with a piece of wood and mark how deep your desired targets go in the different frequencies, you'll be surprised.

Now as far as the gold machines, 18kHz hits gold alloy very hard. Pure gold I would assume to be a lower conductor then a gold ring which is why nuggets would benifit from even higher frequencies, add to that nuggets are much smaller then a gold ring so again, the super high frequency would help. You are correct that it would be shallower again, all things being equal with the coil.
When you bench test make sure you do a gold ring in 18kHz, it will be deeper then any other coin size target. It will be way over a foot, if you do the test out side who knows you might still be getting a faint past 16", it's ridiculous. Then try that same ring on your Explorer, I would be surprised if it gets 1/3rd the depth.

As mentioned in a previous post, there might be a time when 8kHz punches deeper into bad ground then 12 or 18, just don't use that as your default. IMO of course.

And not all machines @ 18khz are equal either, my GM5+ running 18khz was far more sensitive to small items (12"x10" coil) compared to the Deus (11" coil) in my soil which is quite mineralised, the Deus was slightly deeper, but the GM gave a stronger audio report on targets and less likely to only hit in a one way
sweep.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
enderman said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

Depth on what?

Depth on coins like silver dimes and quarters.
It's my understanding that the higher frequency a detector uses the less depth one gets.
Some gold nugget detectors use very high frequencies but there is a loss in depth.
The lower the frequency, the harder the hit on high conductors like silver coins. But I could be right about this. :)