Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XP and bottlecaps?

jimmyzr1

Am I doing something wrong? What's with the XP Deus and all of the bottlecaps I dig at trashy parks? At one of our heavily hunted parks here in the Sacramento area, my friends with Minelabs have been killing it, I usually dig 20-30 bottlebaps to 1-2 good targets in the worst areas. Don't get me wrong though, I have found plenty of great finds with it since I bought it last year but I will get to that a little later in this post. I have also heard of alot of people jumping ship from the XP to the Racer as of late. I recently also have gotten great deals on 1st an Etrac and about 3-4 weeks ago just got a Ctx-3030 for $1300.

One of my 1st great finds with the Deus was a very nice ladies 1 3/4 ct 18kt gold ring that I took in to one of the local jewelry stores that they said they would sell for 7500. and I had made a few more gold ring finds and a nice 27 gr. gold bracelet with it as well but I had not found a piece of silver until about 3 months ago. That was when I got to hit a school that was redone from the playground to the back yard. I probably found 6-8 silvers, 3-4 buffalos, 2 or three War nickels, as well as several wheat pennies. Nothing was at extreem depths though. Then came some heavily hunted parks, and my friend mascard1 on some of the forums and some of his Minelab friends, kept hitting the deep silvers thyat I didn't seem to find. So after watching him dig yet another silver, made him put it back in the hole (which he didn't want to do I might add) so I could go over the target and then I realized that I was not digging those iffy targets that barely sounded off. My 1st good find after that was a 1912 V nickel, a 1919 s wheat penny, and a 1919 mercury dime in the same hole, although I think I damaged all 3 coins. I dug that hole for 40-45 minutes. The 1st 3 inches were hard but nothing like the last 3-4, which was like trying to dig through concrete. 1st I dug with my predator shovel for the 1st 3-4 inches, then went to my lesche digger, then back and forth between the two. When I could finally hear them with my garrett pp, I tried to go slow and widen my hole but every try pounding down just seemed to bounce off the ground and not get any deeper. Long story short, I nicked the penny and the merc near the edges and put a big crater right in the middle of the head on the V nickel. I was bummed about that. But my friend said so what, at least you found silver. He has over 100 silvers for the year. Not too long after that I started finding some silvers here and there. In the past 2 months I have 2 Barber dimes found and a few more silver coins and a silver and gold Grim Reaper pendant found with the Deus.

Back to the trashy park though, our club has a weekly hunt where several of us get together and go to different schools or parks and we went back to that same difficult park that was like digging through concrete. Anyway, I decided to try using the 3030 and ended up finding 1 59 roosevelt dime, a 42 mercury dime, a 41 washington quarter, a small silver ring, and a fairly small silver st christopher pendant, but I dug no bottlecaps. I did dig a few screw caps, maybe 6 or so and a few rusted nails, but I dig some of those with the Deus as well. I almost forgot to add, There were probably 11 or 12 of us at this park , there were no other XP's or Minelabs. Some of these hunters are pretty good with their detectors and there were only 2 small silver rings found and 1 gold plated tungston ring found by the others. Using that 3030 on that hunt opened my eyes. But it is not the endall detector either. I know it has shortcomings as well.

HOW CAN I GET AWAY FROM FINDING ALL OF THESE STUPID BOTTLECAPS?

My other question would be: Why are lots of people jumping ship from the Deus? I think I hear they go to the Racer or something like that. I am not thinking of selling my Deus, I have made lots of great finds with it, but...

build a second program like the one that you are useing and put it next to it in 4K... then switch between them... i use 12K and bottle caps come in at 92-94 and when i switch to 4K the numbers either stay around the same or go up and i know it's a bottle cap. if the numbers go down it's a digable signal.. give it a try and see how it goes for you... GL &HH

This video helped me out a lot - I set up the program in the same order as what's shown - not sure why the order matters but this is a great place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzjVyki6qus

Have been using the Deus for a while now and although I still dig a good amount of bottlecaps, it's nothing like it was in the beginning. You get to where you can ID them by audio and just as martygene said a quick jump into 4khz will ID them nearly 100% of the time. Deeper, rusty bottlecaps will sound better than freshly dropped caps in all other frequencies, 4 kHz does a good job by itself for most caps...silencer helps too but at the cost of a little depth.

With Coop's 4 kHz program you will lose some depth and sensitivity but try it first, get some hunting time in that program, and then you can further tweak the settings as the site requires.

GL & HH

jimmyzr1 said:
My other question would be: Why are lots of people jumping ship from the Deus? I think I hear they go to the Racer or something like that. I am not thinking of selling my Deus, I have made lots of great finds with it, but...

I am not aware of that trend. I know lots of folks that are jumping on the Deus bandwagon. From what I have seen, it's that most folks who don't like the Deus or complain about it's inability to do something, really haven't put in the effort to learn the machine and understand its features and modes of operation. The Deus is not the "greatest" detector in the world. There is no one machine that will meet everyone's needs. But if you put in the effort to learn the machine you can certainly deal with things like bottle caps and you can certainly compete on the same level with the other top end machines.

Using an adjacent 4 kHz program on the Deus to help sniff out a bottle cap is a commonly used "trick of the trade". The beauty of it is that it only requires you to push 1 button to switch between programs. Good luck.

I run the machine in full tones and wide open.
I have norm if on.

I have a 4/8/12/18 freq program.

If it sounds scratchy i will run it over in freq 4 and its gone. This means 99% of the time it's a bottle cap

personally i wouldn't ever use that program in the video unless i was doing a seeded hunt where targets are shallow and you don't want to take the time to switch between programs. That program loses too much depth and also with reactivity at 3 you lose even more depth. Try it out for yourself. if you are hunting in your normal program and get a good signal, switch to reactivity 3 while in the same program and see how it is barely there if at all... maybe only a tiny squeak and only a few inches down. I have found that even in very trashy areas re 3 just doesn't do that well,,, just use 2 and slow down, you will hear the target in between other targets much better and deeper. just sayin'

thanks for the tip martygene :clapping:
the 2 program/diffrent frenquncy trick works good
gave it a go today on my bottle cap rich beach :detecting:
a real helpful tip

A frequency shift is the trick as martygene said, works wonders!! Shift to a Lower frequency and number should drop. If it doesn't, it's a bottlecap or iron.

I am also in Sacramento and i use the x y screen all the time especially when hunting parks with lots of bottle caps. I made this video showing the x y screen a couple years ago and i still have great luck with it. i actually pretty much only use the xy screen and sound i dont totally rely on the screen but it is helpful.
https://youtu.be/izfzu1egbT4
also you can turn up the silencer to help with bottle caps.