Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XP Bootcamp round up 11/4

To sum it up in one word would be to do a disservice to Andy and Charlene.

Awesome. Informative. Educational. Outstanding.

You get the idea. Here's the thing. Most of what you read on the forums is wrong in terms of setting up your machine. There really is a common sense way to do it based on your location and your ground. Grabbing someone's program of the day is more than likely going to leave you frustrated. If you are anywhere near where Andy puts one of these on you need to go. Andy doesn't need me to say this but if you're a Deus user you need what Andy has to offer.

Skate

There's a bunch of tweaks. TX power is one. Ground notch is another. Silencer is another. Each one affects another. I could go on as I'm still processing it all. I suppose you could read Andy's book and get it all together but it's another thing to have him there explaining it all while you program your remote. I'm not here to say anyone else is wrong but I would argue that Andy is more right than others when it comes to the Deus.

I don't use Andys style of hunting even though I read his book and studied it to no end. I cut my teeth on it and it taught me much about the deus. I adopted Garys Blackwells style from over in the U.K. a low discrim open type machine. I have since developed a pitch program for relic hunting and its the best program ive ever used for relics in a low to no modern trash iron infested site. I don't use ground notch and have videos showing why I don't use it. Run the silencer at -1 all the time . I use a tx power of 3 on the lf coils in my soil, soil is key for that setting though.. I think Andys style is more geared at the American coin shooter but that's just my opinion. Would I recommend a Andy Sabich bootcamp YES! If he had done one here I would have been first in line for it. Is the book he wrote on the deus good? In my opinion its very good and a MUST read for any deus user. With that being said I will say this if one wants to master the deus he must learn the deus well enough to set it up for their style of hunting and area.. The MOST comment above bothers me because there are some very capable deus users on these forums and just because someone uses a different style than another doesn't make it wrong. Me and CT TODD use different styles I use full tones and pitch now and he uses 5 but we both do well... is one better maybe maybe not... I used some the settings I learned from Todd in my new pitch program and it smokes in iron... What I'm getting at is we all know Andy is a top notch detectorist and author but to say MOST info on the forums is flat out wrong well that's overstating your case a little . ..

I use what works and adjust as necessary.
Learn what your adjustments do and go from there for your ground and targets.

one of the keys to what works for you CD is "in my soil" which looks very sandy. those settings probably wouldn't work very well for me up here in Western N Y. i love low discrim but its hardly usable here due to so much junk iron as its like a machine gun of various sizes and depths. there's no way to hear anything in that that mess except possibly the elliptical coil. much of the Deus stock programs are for UK fields and not for us for the most part. but each of us has to figure out what works best in our areas and for what we are hunting for.
GL&HH to all.

calabash digger said:
I don't use Andys style of hunting even though I read his book and studied it to no end. I cut my teeth on it and it taught me much about the deus. I adopted Garys Blackwells style from over in the U.K. a low discrim open type machine. I have since developed a pitch program for relic hunting and its the best program ive ever used for relics in a low to no modern trash iron infested site. I don't use ground notch and have videos showing why I don't use it. Run the silencer at -1 all the time . I use a tx power of 3 on the lf coils in my soil, soil is key for that setting though.. I think Andys style is more geared at the American coin shooter but that's just my opinion. Would I recommend a Andy Sabich bootcamp YES! If he had done one here I would have been first in line for it. Is the book he wrote on the deus good? In my opinion its very good and a MUST read for any deus user. With that being said I will say this if one wants to master the deus he must learn the deus well enough to set it up for their style of hunting and area.. The MOST comment above bothers me because there are some very capable deus users on these forums and just because someone uses a different style than another doesn't make it wrong. Me and CT TODD use different styles I use full tones and pitch now and he uses 5 but we both do well... is one better maybe maybe not... I used some the settings I learned from Todd in my new pitch program and it smokes in iron... What I'm getting at is we all know Andy is a top notch detectorist and author but to say MOST info on the forums is flat out wrong well that's overstating your case a little . ..

All I said was there was misinformation on the "forums". I'm always amazed at how people not mentioned somehow take offense at something not directed at them. I was speaking about how great it was to spend time with someone who is arguably one of the top detectorists around and people get snarky and use the idea of "free" info as somehow better than what Andy charged me for. At $125 for 9 hours of one on one, all questions answered about a detector I paid $1500 for was a bargain. If he asked me I'd encourage him to charge more because Andy is a professional who puts his name and his skill out there.

People need to step back from the keyboard sometimes and realize it's not about them but about a hobby where folks WILLINGLY SPEND THOUSANDS in the hopes of finding seated dime worth a $1.25 in melt. I saved for months and my wife and I got to see a part of the country we hadn't before and she got to spend an afternoon in DC for the first time in her life all because I wanted to go to the XP bootcamp. Best money I've spent in a long time.

I firmly believe in having an open forum where people can post their thoughts and receive feedback but in the case of this thread, I felt the need to post a few comments in response to the individual comments that have been posted.

First, if you have not attended a Bootcamp, making blanket statements such as “I don't use Andy’s style of hunting” or “Andy does not know how to hunt in my area” is a bit presumptive. Since I hunt a wide range of targets in a wide range of areas, I can't recall posting my settings online. There are 100 ways to skin a cat and that is part of what we cover in the Bootcamps. I do not push one style of hunting imply because there is no one style of hunting that works in all areas and for all types of hunting. The content is not simply a rehash of the book and that is the reason each Bootcamp is customized to what type of hunting people do and where they hunt. We send out questionnaires in advance to ensure what we cover is applicable to what people want to get out of the content. Settings that work for relic hunting in the Carolinas rarely work when coin hunting in Indiana or beach hunting in New Jersey. We also try to have co-instructors that are familiar with the local areas and specific types of hunting so that they can share another perspective to attendees.

Second, forums are a great source of information and hats off to those that share what works for them to help others. What many tend to forget however is that settings and styles differ due to the type of targets you are looking for and the area you are hunting in. Sandy, low-mineralized soil requires different settings than red clay or dark soil with coal cinders so when posting your settings, think about adding some details about the conditions of the ground. I know hunting in the UK, we found that virtually everywhere you went, the ground tracked to “90” which is why the presets work . . . but understanding WEHN a change is needed and WHY it is needed rather than simply copying settings is critical to getting the most out of the Deus.

Third, many of the settings shared on the forums are stressing depth and in sandy soil, flood areas or areas where fill has been added that might be key to finding what others have missed. However, in many areas, separation wins over depth. I get depth with my settings but when I hunt sites that are littered with iron or urban sites littered with trash, I need to switch settings to find what I am looking for. In these sites, 80% of keepers are coming from depths of 8” or less.

I have had the opportunity to hunt across the US as well as in many areas around the world. I know a lot of hunters that I can reach out to and find out what works in their area which forms the basis for the content in the Bootcamps. I have my preferred style of hunting but that changes based on what I am hunting for and where I am hunting. I had the opportunity to meet a relic hunter in Gettysburg this past weekend that had just found a beautiful US plate that came from a site that has been hunted for decades. It had been buried about 9” down on edge next to a large piece of iron. His partner checked it before they dug it and said it was iron and would not have dug it. When they saw what it was, they were shocked and the only difference between the two Deus detectors was the settings in-use . . . those I had provided were what helped him unlock the site and find the plate.

The bottom line is that reading twice before hitting post once is often a good approach. Knowing the person that posted the initial thread here, I know there was no intent to slam anyone in particular and if that is how you took it, take a deep breath and don’t feel you have to jump onto the keyboard and respond. I’m sure we can all get aggravated at work so the forums should not be a source of frustration and devolve into a war of words.

Our intent is to train people on what the machine is capable of doing and cover all options it offers. The final decision on what options to use is up to the individual and if someone’s finds meet or exceed their expectations, then they are the right ones for that person. If you are able to attend one of the Bootcamps and feel the investment in time and money is justified, we love to meet you and based on the feedback, attendees feel it was a great investment in the hobby. If you are someone that feels that they have mastered the Deus and only hunt in one area and for one type of target then maybe the Bootcamp is not your “cup of tea” although we would love to talk to you about being a co-instructor. But questioning the need for anyone to attend or jump on those that have and posted their impressions is not what the forums should be about – if you feel the need to get into a war of words with a poster, think about clicking on the next message and see what it contains . . . .

Andy Sabisch

I guess I took offence to the original posters comment about most info being wrong and posted about it and should have passed it by. .He was just posting about his experience but I took offence to the most info comment. Maybe I prejudged you and your style of hunting should have done some more homework on that too. So guys please accept my apologies if I offended anyone.

Spoken like a Southern gentleman. I am self taught on the Deus and have enjoyed increasing success the more I use it but could not have done it w/o the help from all the skilled contributors who have contributed to this site. At the same time, I've done Andy's ML Boot and I can tell you w/o a doubt that I will do the Deus Boot if the opportunity presents itself and now I will tell you why. I suspect that this discussion became a bit heated because of the 800lb gorilla which can be summed up in 2 words, Modern trash. I cut my teeth 30 years ago as a kid relic hunting and its still my first love, but I have to drive 30 or 40 miles to the closest site, whereas I live in an older town and can step outside my door and find older coins and rings. In the last month in 2 city parks have found 2 gold rings, a 1898 IH, a 1900 VN, a sterling eagle pendant from WW2 and some other goodies. . But it was a LOT of work. The Deus was developed for the European market where theres mainly field hunting and iron is your big problem. I can totally understand why its such a good relic machine and I look forward to being on a CW site soon(which will be like a vacation), but for the trashy sites, some tweaking is incumbent unless you want to leave with only 200 pull tabs.I try to remember the old adage, " Every man is my teacher in that I may learn from him." Thanks to all and HH.

I would like to have the bootcamp n Arizona so I can go, post how great it was (As I am 1000% sure and can not wait...) and all.....

I just wana go!

LOL

Always good info posted from those that go and while learning from them I know I will learn a ton at the bootcamp. Also I have used several programs from a couple people here and some worked great, some I tweeked, but they gave me a base if you will.......Nothing wrong with either one, but as Andy and others have said, know the machine and know what your changing and how it changes other settings.

Did I mention I just wana go?

Jim

I'd just like to point out that i live in the UK, and i never had the Deus track to gb90, my area would gb 84-82-79-76 but never 90, and i know of many other Deus users here in the UK who's ground balances way off gb90 and it's became the 'thing' here to always do a correct gb especially for deep fieldwork.
To run 90gb in many areas means your just surface skimming.

The areas we hunted the ground varied by maybe one or two numbers off of 90 . . .if you areas are different, then that was something we did not see in the 10 days we were hunting in the UK and it was in areas many miles apart.

You are right, if you do not watch the ground your performance suffers

Andy