Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

xp deus hf 9x5 coil

Waterdog

I run the xp deus with the 9x5 coil running it at 15 khz. will running it at higher frequency get better depth for coin shooting?
Thank you

It's been my experience that the lower frequencies tend to work better on coins and that depth is more a matter of soil type and condition, EMI, ground ballance and gain & or sensitivity settings being most important.

15kHz is a great middle of the road frequency for coin shooting for sure since it will hit pretty hard on both low and high conductors in moderate to low mineralized dirt. If you have moderate to highly mineralized dirt like me I usually run a bit higher at 18 to 30khz for coins, jewelry, relics and gold prospecting. If you are looking for depth with the 9X5" coil........ I know the Deus has some major "magic" going on inside it but depth detecting coin sized objects with a 9"X5" coil, no matter what frequency you are running, is determined by the size of the coil and detecting conditions. So, coin sized objects=5" to 9" and any coin closer to 9" is going to be beep and dig with little or no VDI. If you want a lot more depth, a bigger coil might be needed.

Jeff

I don't have a Deus and it might provide more operating Frequency choices, however, here is what I found using my two ORX devices and 2 search coils, especially when employed for typical urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting:

ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil.

I started with the ORX trying both the Coin Fast and Coin Deep default modes. I preferred Coin Deep. I then used all the standard Frequency choices. I then worked with all of the adjustment functions at quite a few different Coin & Jewelry locations, until I determined what settings seemed to make the best combinations for me for Coin & Jewelry Hunting. I then made all those adjustments and 'Saved' them in the slot labeled 5 User Coin. That is my primary-use package with that elliptical HF coil and is as follows:

Sensitivity .. '99;
Discrimination .. '7'
Frequency .. '14.[size=small]4[/size]' kHz
Reactivity .. '2'
Iron Volume .. 'On'

I found the 5X9½ HD DD to provide very ample depth-of-detection in most sites, and I do use it for some of my Coin & Jewelry Hunting. For the most part, however, this package set-up is what I grab for hunting more of the Relic Hunting type locations with more brush and weeds, rocks and other site challenges. Also for helping me deal with dense iron debris when Relic Hunting old homesteads, ghost towns and comparable iron-littered places.

ORX w/9" X35 DD coil:
I did purchase a 2nd ORX to add to my Detector Outfit and make use of the 9" X35 DD coil that came with it. This set-up provides me with more noticeable Detection Depth than the ORX w/ elliptical HF coil, especially noticed when Coin & Jewelry Hunting some older parks, picnic areas, plowed fields or other open locations. I mainly wanted it for those older grassy sites where I know there's better likelihood to find silver or other higher-conductive targets like copper or brass trade tokens. With this ORX and coil, I have 5 User Coin saved as follows:

Sensitivity .. '99;
Discrimination .. '7'
Frequency .. '7.[size=small]7[/size]' kHz
Reactivity .. '2'
Iron Volume .. 'On'

Yes, almost identical except for the Frequency. I like the ORX because it is simple and lacks a lot of adjustment functions that are often not really needed. Yes, I have tried all of the available Reactivity settings which are:'1' .. '2' .. '2.[size=small]5[/size]' and '3' with the ORX, and I have also tried the other Operating Frequencies. The lowest is just a bit better on the silver and other high-conductors, but the '7.[size=small]7[/size]' kHz works better as a good general purpose Frequency for cons and tokens and jewelry that run from lower to higher conductivities. I also used the different Reactivity settings in more open areas as well as when the desired targets were in amongst a lot of mixed trash, and the result is that '2] works well for almost any target environment, whereas '2.[size=small]5[/size]' or '3' more often than not impaired good performance, especially on a lot of higher-conductive targets.

The higher Frequencies are best used for lower-conductivity targets, such as gold nuggets or small gold jewelry items like baby rings, thin chains, etc.

Monte

Find a weak-sounding target and run through the adjustments to see what gives the best response. may take you five minutes to get it where you like,. Time well spent.