Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XP Deus vs Sovereign GT? :confused:

rexy

Hello everyone.
I am stuck in a difficult spot on trading my detector for a Sovereign or a XP Deus. I live in SoCal and do all types of hunting. Coins, Beach, Relic, and Gold. I do come across some infested areas and am wondering what your opinions for these detectors are. I have never seen any comparisons online between these 2 so I am hoping you could help.

Thank You.

I do not know anything about the XP Deus but the Sovereign GT is weak when it come to small gold. It is a killer on rings but chains and small charms/pendants are difficult to find with the GT. The GT is an excellent beach machine for dry and wet sand. Even shallow wading as long as the control box does not get wet. HH

I agree with george but would also add i have the gt and find it great for beach and its killer in farm fields for large cents.. it can also struggle a bit in areas with a lot of iron as those conditions cause masking which if i can believe what ive read the xp is supposed to accel in ...plus the xp has a meter but i have never used an xp so take it for what its worth...

rexy said:
.... I do come across some infested areas and am wondering what your opinions for these detectors are........

Your question is specifically for function in/around nails/iron, right ? If so, then the Sov. was never meant to be an iron-see through and see-around/between type machine. Yes I know there are some people who have even gotten used to the sounds, to do so-so ok in junky iron-ridden sites. But all in all, NOT meant to be a ghost-townsy type machine. The tails (where nulls or tails of conductors) are going on, would not help in "seeing next to" stuff. Nor do I think it would necessarily average well (where a coin is under a nail, yet the "average" of the two tells you a conductor is underneath).

The Sov. excells in different areas, like depth. Not iron see-through & around. Hence the answer to your question would be that the Deus would be the better for such environments.

Thanks everyone!
Sorry Tom, Living in Orange county There is barely any nails around, and I saw from the videos below that It handles quite well. By infested areas, I meant more like areas with pull tables, and aluminum bottle caps, etc. Non iron junk targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NilnTD47FoY

Thank You!

-Rexy

For me the Sovereign has done well for me for coin hunting and preferred over other detectors for finding coins in trash both iron and pull tabs, maybe not solid iron or tabs as no detector will do that. There is a learning curve with the Sovereign as many will tell you and some don't have the patience to get to understand it, but those of us have learned it just love this detector.
Sovereign hate iron so a person can walk over 90% of it and getting to know where the pull tabs read and how they sound you will hear them, but you ignore them and when you go over them, but a coin it you will notice a difference right away. In with pull tabs I have found a few gold rings as they have a different sound to them then the pull tabs too, but it is not 100% accurate every time so you will dig some pull tabs that just sound different.
In iron what impressed me was I got a Franklin half with a big rusty bolt right on top of it others told me it was iron that were with me, but going slow and knowing the detector you will hear a good target with trash.
The more you use the Sovereign the more you will learn and the better you will be with it, the secret is knowing this detector well and with me adding the 180 meter give me visual ID plus the tone ID of the Sovereign and by going slow there is not much you will miss.

Rick

Very interesting youtube video. I haven't used excalibur in many years. But back when I used one for several years, I never had the impression it could do that test. I always assumed that the "tail" (reminiscent of the original 6000 d "tail") would be a detriment to masking. As opposed to machines which have a concise "beep". But as the fellow in the video points out in his text on the screens: target separation (recovery speed) and ability to see through (aka "average") is two different things.

Interesting video. I had always assumed the Sov. (& excal) was simply not a nail-see-through machine.