Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XP Deus

Page 28 at the manuel... http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/docs/deus/DEUS_English.pdf
I am using the horseshoe and the Sound, to tell me depth and size of the object.
It is not a depth meter in inch, just an indication to help us with small or Big targets, deep or surface finds.

I never really understood the whole depth indicator in inches because they are only accurate on coin sized targets (sometimes) anyway. The horseshoe indicator on the Deus will give you an idea on whether the target is shallow, medium depth, or deep and that's good enough for me. I don't think that you will be disappointed on the information the Deus gives you on a target.

The horseshoe has served me well for nearly 4 years and does the job.:thumbup: Jerry.

PS If you get a dig me sound and its not registering on the screen go for it as it will be deeper down.

I had a conversation with a British friend of mine. He made the observation that Yanks hunt with their eyes and Europeans hunt with their ears.

Meaning we look at the display to tell us what it is & how deep it is. They listen with their headphones and let the tones tell them what it is and how deep.

I told him that I must have more European blood in me. (Big surprise to my Native American roots.)

I hunt with headphones (even with bad hearing) and hardly ever look at a LCD screen on my machines. :laugh:

I use both my hearing and the controller.

Seriously using this method I dont very often get it wrong other than ferrous with a hole in it.:thumbup: Jerry.

The "Hunt by Ears" approach is a good one if you are looking at digging anything that is not ferrous which is not the way most US hunters can approach sites. We have aluminum, foil and scores of other non-ferrouys trash targets to deal with and the "Ears Only" approach is not feasible in those cases. The sudio capabilities of the Deus can help here but that approach is best suited for beach and relic hunters and not coin hunters (not old homestead coin hunters whcih are more like relic hunters). The Control Unit provides additional information that compliments what the audio is telling you and it really does not make a lot of sense - at least for the bulk of US hunters - to ignore that information and rely strictly on the audio.

Peronally, not using the control unit is giving up a piece of information that can help determine to dig or not. Running with the AUDIO R boosted will help ensure small or deep signals are not missed but this eliminates the strong / weak signal response as they are all strong - in this case, the horseshoe icon gives the relative depth indication which can't be extracted from the audio signal. Iron wrap around is another reason to glance at the control unit display - a good sounding signal with a 98 - 99 signal indicated would tell me to keep walking - the audio alone would say "DIG".

The Desu is verstaile but to discount a tool provided to gain more information on a target may not always be the best option . . . . otherwise we could all simply buy the Deus Lite and save some $$$ :cheers:

Andy

I do like to use my hearing but I always double check the display , all my metal detectors are display models. BTW I am coming of White's XLT, V3i ,AT Pro and Safari- how much of a learning curve ,am I looking at ? The detectors I already have are plenty good enough for my needs, but the weight is a problem, this is one of the reasons I am interested in XP Deus and I hope the weight of the detector will not be the only reason. I should have my Deus in less than two weeks. Anyone used White's before Deus ? I think Andy is familiar with many.
Thanks to all.
Jan

eagle52 said:
I do like to use my hearing but I always double check the display , all my metal detectors are display models. BTW I am coming of White's XLT, V3i ,AT Pro and Safari- how much of a learning curve ,am I looking at ? The detectors I already have are plenty good enough for my needs, but the weight is a problem, this is one of the reasons I am interested in XP Deus and I hope the weight of the detector will not be the only reason. I should have my Deus in less than two weeks. Anyone used White's before Deus ? I think Andy is familiar with many.
Thanks to all.
Jan

Jan

Weight 8is a big factor for some and to be honest, swinging an Explorer or E-Trac all day makes you think even harder about weight and balance.

As far as a learning curve, the best thing I can say is don't make the Deus more complicated than you should - it is an easy unit to master especially if you compare it to the menu layers on the V3i and XLT. Once you get it dialed in, you can pretty much turn on an go with only a tweak here or there if needed.

Use this site (and the new book :) when it hits the street) to shorten your learnign curve

Andy

Andy Sabisch said:
Jan

As far as a learning curve, the best thing I can say is don't make the Deus more complicated than you should - it is an easy unit to master especially if you compare it to the menu layers on the V3i and XLT. Once you get it dialed in, you can pretty much turn on an go with only a tweak here or there if needed.

Use this site (and the new book :) when it hits the street) to shorten your learnign curve

Andy

Good advice - "... don't make the Deus more complicated than you should". Far too often I see things posted where someone buys a new unit and wants to "tweak it' for max depth right away and then gets frustrated when it doesn't perform well for them. The Deus is a high-end unit and it will perform right out of the box. Use the factory programs and learn your detector before you begin to "tweak" it. Most of all... keep it fun!!! I haven't heard of anybody getting rich off this hobby just yet anyway. :)