Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Xp orx vs Vanquish 540

unchained

Hello everyone. I am interested in these two detectors to buy . They are both multi-frequency machines(vanquish SMF), and what i found they are similar in test results. My soil is mostly mild with iron & aluminium trash and targets would be tiny medieval coins and some romans.
Which one would be the best
Thanks

1st the XP ORX is not multi-frequency. It has multi-frequencies you can select from. With the HF 9" coil you can run 14, 30, or 54khz which will really hit those tiny silver coins. The downside to that is aluminum trash will hit harder as well. It's billed as a gold machine because of these higher frequencies >50khz but it makes for an excellent coin hunting machine as well. You essentially are getting the two most popular Deus programs Deus Fast program 3 and Deus Deep program 4 but without custom settings. (Not having the customization is a turn off for some like no iron audio volume control, or tone breaks, the classic x/y screen - but it is also the cheapest entry into the XP lineup of machines with the incredible recovery speed in very trashy iron.)

The Vanquish is a true multi-frequency machine (So in theory it should be able to hit small gold objects and silver coins without the need to manually change the frequencies - I personally think this is more of an issue in difficult soil or wet sand conditions) It also has some features like notching out specific target ID's which the ORX does not have if that is important to your hunting style. The Vanquish also has Iron Bias but you don't really need that with the ORX because it makes up for it with recovery speed.

Both are lightweight so it is virtually a tie in that department. Both have very fast recovery speed. I owned the ORX but not the Vanquish - I would say if your hunting in mild soil and not on the beach the ORX is the way to go. Its a close call but something to keep in mind is you can purchase the Vanquish Pro Pack with two coils for less than the ORX. I didn't have that option 2 years ago so that might have swayed me towards the Vanquish. I would also say that the ORX has more stable VDI numbers but again it's probably very close in mild soil.

I would recommend you checkout some youtube videos by "The metal detecting skill school"on the ORX - Gary is the XP expert and for the Vanquish there are a ton of youtube reviews but I like EnglandsHistory

Whatever you decide let us know what you think!

I have spent two years with both 540 and ORX ….. both are capable detectors. I didn’t like the compressed VDI of the 540 .I made some good finds with it, but I feel I am making better, more, unmasking targets with the ORX . Sold the 540 and keep making great finds with ORX using the 9” round HF coil. ORX !

1st the XP ORX is not multi-frequency. It has multi-frequencies you can select from. With the HF 9" coil you can run 14, 30, or 54khz which will really hit those tiny silver coins.
Yeah I meant that, wrong expression

The downside to that is aluminum trash will hit harder as well. It's billed as a gold machine because of these higher frequencies >50khz but it makes for an excellent coin hunting machine as well. You essentially are getting the two most popular Deus programs Deus Fast program 3 and Deus Deep program 4 but without custom settings. (Not having the customization is a turn off for some like no iron audio volume control, or tone breaks, the classic x/y screen - but it is also the cheapest entry into the XP lineup of machines with the incredible recovery speed in very trashy iron.)

The Vanquish is a true multi-frequency machine (So in theory it should be able to hit small gold objects and silver coins without the need to manually change the frequencies - I personally think this is more of an issue in difficult soil or wet sand conditions) It also has some features like notching out specific target ID's which the ORX does not have if that is important to your hunting style. The Vanquish also has Iron Bias but you don't really need that with the ORX because it makes up for it with recovery speed.
This I don't understand. ORX doesn't have iron audio at all, or the iron audio can be heard( dualtone) and you can't mute it? Does discrimination affect the iron audio?

Both are lightweight so it is virtually a tie in that department. Both have very fast recovery speed. I owned the ORX but not the Vanquish - I would say if your hunting in mild soil and not on the beach the ORX is the way to go. Its a close call but something to keep in mind is you can purchase the Vanquish Pro Pack with two coils for less than the ORX. I didn't have that option 2 years ago so that might have swayed me towards the Vanquish. I would also say that the ORX has more stable VDI numbers but again it's probably very close in mild soil.

I would recommend you checkout some youtube videos by "The metal detecting skill school"on the ORX - Gary is the XP expert and for the Vanquish there are a ton of youtube reviews but I like EnglandsHistory

Whatever you decide let us know what you think!

Although the vanquish is lightweight, I've heard people complain that it is very flimsy, there are even youtube videos how to screw a bolt and make it more firm.
I watch endglandshistory very often, great channel, it is one of the places I've been interested in the vanquish :)

I have spent two years with both 540 and ORX ….. both are capable detectors. I didn’t like the compressed VDI of the 540 .I made some good finds with it, but I feel I am making better, more, unmasking targets with the ORX . Sold the 540 and keep making great finds with ORX using the 9” round HF coil. ORX !
That is what I wanted to hear, someone using both detectors, and gives first hand impression! Thank you

And thank you all for helping me choose, 90% it will be the ORX !

Tony-OK is correct I would check the manual you can turn Iron volume on or off. I just prefer to listen to it...but in really trashy parks that may not be for everyone.

You can turn the discrimination up higher and then you will get more iron audio "grunts" or you could also turn the discrimination up and turn off iron audio volume and you would simply be discriminating more targets out and not hearing them as iron. You could in theory -- I may have to check on this but I think you can discriminate all the way up to 90 and turn off Iron audio and then you would only get targets like dimes, copper pennies, and quarters - wouldn't personally recommend it though. For every 100 solid VDI 20-40 I dig 1 out of 100 is a gold ring. Gold rings sound the same as pull tabs or pieces of a pull tab. I almost never dig targets between 70-85 almost always junk unless I'm at a site with relics.

You won't regret the ORX its a great buy! I love mine - I keep buying machines but always go back to the ORX.

My sweeper mode on the ORX is using the 11 inch X35 coil, sens at 80-85, disc set to 35 and iron vol off. The audio tone and break up of junk targets is a lot better than the Etrack I used for years.

I switch to the fast mode with the 9 elliptical in a higher frequency to go back over and get the small low conductors . The ORX is really great as a coin machine btw.

Vanquish is best at the beach! The Orx is best for inland.