Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XS Coin Program. Set and go!

A

Anonymous

Hello to everyone,
I recently bought a Explorer XS. I have read the Owner's Manual and also I have read the book by Andy Sabisch. I have tried setting the XS up to learn the "Olde Coin" Program + New Coin Program but I am not receiving any good signals. All I seem to be digging are junk items.
What would be your alls recommendation on setting up a coin hunting program for an area with very little trash. I have tried using the "Deep" recovery option with Audio 1 engaged but I have not been able to find any good targets. I took my White's Spectrum out the other day to the same ballfield that I have been using the Explorer at and ended up digging a 1943 Walking Liberty Half. So what's the deal? Why didn't the deep seeker XS not find the coin?
I have bench tested the XS and have tried listening for the sound a coin held 10" away from the coil sound like. What does a deep coin that is buried in the ground sound like? Will I have a repeatable sound if I pass the XS coil over a deep buried coin? My XLT seems to be telling me "boy they sure did sucker you into a buying a Explorer after reading all of their posts on the BBS Forum".
After reading Andy's book you would think that any ole' Joe could go out in the back yard with a brand Explorer without knowing what the heck is going on and start digging up Mercury dimes and Wheat pennies? After I had read this I was set on buying an Explorer! You all reckon this was kind of a "fish tale" or one of them hunting stories everyone seems to be telling these days?
So what am I to do now? What should I set the adjustments on the Explorer to and go out and start finding good targets? I would really appreciate what information you all could supply to a "virgin" in this Minelab realm. Please give me some help in finding a decent program that I can set the machine up to start finding old coins. I know that the old coins exist since my Spectrum found the Walking Liberty at 5". By the way everyone that was talking on the BBS Forum, you would think that I would be digging Chinese coins by now since the XS is such a deep seeker! Thanks for all of your help, Ridgerunner

Man do I know how you feel, but it just takes time. Richard from Canada on Nov 4 posted a photo of a basic "Find the Coins" screen. I loaded it and open a spot for nickles and it works fine. I just don't have enought time and now snow. Just read and look at all the great info on this forum and you will be kicking butt in no time at all.

Be patient,savitch says a mouthfull inhis book"forget anything you know about previous detectors" Easy said,hard to do.First reaction,I can;t pinpoint Next hmmm summa this trash is really deep.Then in my case"wow" this is a1927 walking liberty...Hang in there it all comes together,,,The forums have archive search engines that werk really well...cs

To me very little trash is like music to my ears since I only rarely hunt a site like that. Anyway, I would start off in the factory preset coin program which opens up virtually the entire right side. Then, and this is where the school of thought differs on Explorer newbie settings, I would hunt in Digital. The reason for this is the numbers(ID) is easy to reference and it leaves you needing only to watch the ID# and the Depth meter. You can always go to smartfind later as it is ultimately the best screen for analying targets.
6's, 28's, and 30's are digs but only dig these when you get a half a depth meter or deeper. These are all going to be pretty much just old coins. Also, patients is key because you may go as long as 45 minutes or longer before hitting one of these ID#'s at just the right depth but it's worth the wait. If you don't want to pass up any wheaties then just add bouncy 22's thru 26's to the Digital ID#'s, and watch the depth meter if you hit a 22 jumping around fluidly, not too erradic, then it's a dig.
Now, should you dig everything? I'm assuming you just want to get a couple deepies real quick before moving on to a more advanced operating mode so no I wouldn't do it.
I would say that in the site you describe it sounds like a place where I might go Iron mask -8 and dig everything deep, within reason. You could try this, however I would still recommend just digging the #ID's in Digital that are high percentage goodies so that you can gain the confidence in the Explorer you need before moving on to using advanced hunting strategies.
I would also stay in Semi-Auto Sensitivity for now, but set it between 28 and 32. Recovery should be set to Deep only, this because the site as you discribed has little trash.
BTW, 31's are not digs, that is a sure sign of iron.
Hope this helps a bit, GL/HH

AJ,i went to a hunt yesterday where 300 old coins were buried and there were 22 detectors out there with me.i used the same screen you are talking about with the area opened up for nickles. now if everyone found the equal amount of coins that would have been like 14 coins each. i walked away with 45 coins. but i did miss the prize gold coin by inches.

First of all, I would say that the main thing is you gotta get the coil over old coins to be able to find them, 2nd I am not a big advocate of any programs at all, prefering to just use iron mask and listening to the audio,,, coin signals are very distinct from the others once you listen to a few, as atr the majority of common trash targets, if your blocking those signals you wont learn what they all react like. Now being your hunting clean ground it would make me even more apt to use iron mask alone. One thing about clean ground is most machines work at there max potential there, so unless there are extremely deep coins there it is possible the others got most of the coins already if its been hunted hard. I found very little at the shallower 6 inch or less in heavily hunted good ground with my explorer as compared to ground with iron and trash.. My first hunt with mine I was disappointed hunting a park that was clean, my second hunt I took it to an iron ridden cellar hole I hunted a hundred times with the last few giving up nothing at all and found 7 coins, 3 of them silver with signals that were blasting through so good I couldnt believe my ears...keep on going.. when it clicks in, the coins and deep stuff will come

jim , when your hunting like that how do you set your sens up? and are you using the normal audio?

Varies with ground conditions and what coil I am using.. generally in fairly iron free ground I run 26-28 manual with the 10 inch coil, as the iron increases I drop down to as low as 18, but on average I would say 24...run a bit higher with the smaller coils.. I use normal audio and fast response almost always..but thats just my preference, but if I get into places with real deep stuff I will switch to deep response, so far I havent seen anything in one mode the other didnt when switching back and forth, sometimes the deep response seems to give a more solid signal on the deep ones though...Jim

This machine is differant. Maybe your expectations are to high, I had a roough time myself. But, it will come to you. Be patient

I know Minelab does not have a video for the Explorer but a simple audio cassette with all kind of sounds and explanations could not be that hard for Minelab or some one else to make . Heck the person making the audio tape might even make a few cents with it . They could show what a good signal sounds like and a deep signal . Things like that.