Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XS Question

Yankees

I recently got back into this great hobby of ours after a 2 year break and am trying to focus on learning the XS. I got this machine shortly before I was forced to take a break and I Feel like a day one newbie(not that i was a pro) went out to an old house that I've hunted with a DFX and a CZ-70pro and my head is spinning!

The problem I'm having is I start in smartfind and have a steady threshold but when i start swinging the threshold disappears on me. It will give sporadic iron noise but for the most part she remains quiet while swinging.

This house is the oldest standing house in my town and have found some really neat stuff, any suggestions or remedies would be appreciated.

when you lose the threshold it is nulling over a target you have discriminated out.

would i be better off in iron mask being 90% of the property the detector is nulling constant in the preset

I think preset is set at -6 iron mask. So many people think if they lose threshold with the Explorer,
they wil be missing good targets.
This isn't really the case at all. Some opt to use no iron mask with ferrous sounds to keep the
detector from nulling but one will get a steady sound of low iron tones using that setup.
Here is what I would suggest, first do some easy detecting like at a site where there is a
lot of clad to get used to the different tones then as you get used to the detector, you
can take it to those more challenging sites.
I think you can still find good stuff even with preset, right now you just need some time getting
used to the detector.
Don't worry so much about the nulls for now then later on you can adjust settings more to
your own taste.
If you have a small coil you can use that first at the site you have been hunting and shoot between
some of the iron trash that is present.
I have the XS and use manual sens with a low level of iron mask but I have been using it for years
now.
I have never worried about losing the threshold because I know it will give a signal if there is something
mixed in with the trash.
So believe me when I state, losing the threshold isn't that big of a deal with the Explorer, you may
need to go to a smaller coil if the nails are thick though.
Hope this helps and don't be afraid to go through the menus and try different settings after you get
some time in with it.
Set items on the ground in your yard and sweep over them and get used to the tones before going
on a hunt.
If you can, get Andy's books on the Explorer/Etrac series and read through them, they will give
you info on how the Explorer operates, also if you know someone close by that has experience
with this detector, see if you can get up with them.
HH