Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XT 70 THRESHOLD

claddagh

G'Day all,
I recently bought a XT 70 and even read the manual before I turned it on(gotta be a first for me), I only have a question about the Threshold volume as I seem to be a bit deaf I have it fairly high with the volume set fairly high as well is that ok to do?.
In the manual it says to "when Threshold and volume are used together there is greater control over targer response",does that mean like both set on 20 for example?. I use it with and without headphones.
Just a word for any beginners like me who are thinking about getting one ,yes it it is a turn on and go, but later when you know the machine better there is so much more potential.
The other thing I realised is I need a bigger shovel.
Many Thanks,
John
ps A small coil would be a great advantage I think

Hey John, A couple things to keep in mind. Number one, there are two volume control settings. One for headphones and one for without headphones. Since you said you hunt both ways, make sure you set them both properly. And number two, as to setting the threshold and volume, the numbers don't have any correlation with each other, as far as what the numbers are. Everyones hearing is a bit different. And we all have different preferences for the amount of threshold tone we want to hear. What I suggest is to set the volume as high as it will go. Then set the threshold to a level that gives you the sound you like. I hunt in all metal most of the time. And I prefer to have mine set so I can hear it in the background. And when I do pass the coil over a target, whether ferrous or conductive, their tone will over-ride the threshold tone. HH Randy

Hi Randy,
many thanks for the great info, I was setting the threshold so I could just hear it and could'nt really hear the blanks anymore.but now I know,cheers.
HH, John

Like Digger said, each to their own. I like volume set at max and I bring the threshold up to just above audible. I also run All Metal.
In excessively noisy areas I run pattern #1 with just -8 knocked out.
Don't be afraid to experament. Everything is an easy fix. Good luck and have a blast.

I run in all metal 95% of the time because I like to listen for the subtle sounds of an "ignored" object helping me determine if there is an adjacent keeper! When I want to give my hearing an occasional rest, I switch to a modified Pattern, with all the negative notch segments and the +48 notch segment set to reject. I don't worry about shutting off those segments because, for coin hunting at my sites, I have yet to find anything I'm searching for that will be accepted by those segment ranges. HH Randy

I hear ya, love picking the occasional hidden coin out of the undesirables.
The XT loves those hard to locate dimes too. Been over the same spots with Explorer and X5 only to pick a dime from the same spot.

[quote Digger]---snip--- Then set the threshold to a level that gives you the sound you like. I hunt in all metal most of the time, and prefer to have mine set so I can hear the tone null out on rejected items. HH Randy[/quote]

Not quite sure I'm follwing you here Randy. If you're running in all-metal, which items are rejected? All-metal should respond to all metal targets, unless I'm missing something here.

[quote Digger]I run in all metal 95% of the time because I like to listen for the subtle sounds of a rejected item telling me that there is an adjacent keeper! ---snip--- HH Randy[/quote]

Again, I'm not understanding that there are subtle rejected item sounds in all-metal. Please explain a bit further. I missed this in the manual.

Thanks,
OldeTymer

You are correct. Those comments makes no sense at all. I wonder if that comes from having fingers that type about 3 sentences behind what I am thinking?

I do run in all metal most of the time. And, in the all metal mode, all ferrous and conductive targets will provide an audio response. The threshold sound of the X-Terra is a separate digital tone, not necessarily associated with the audio tones being produced when the coil passes over a target. In other words, and in my opinion, the threshold tone is simply "background noise" to let you know your detector is working. If you are in a Pattern mode, the rejected targets will null out the threshold tone. If you are in all metal, all targets will over-ride the threshold tone with their assigned tone.

As to the subtle sounds in all metal.... rejected was a poor choice of words. Ignored would have been a better choice. By passing the coil over the target from several directions, you can determine the "dig-ability" by looking for consistent location, audio and TID. In other words, if a target does not give the same tone from the same location, no matter which direction you pass over it, it won't likely be a coin. At least that has been my findings.

Sorry for any confusion. I'll edit those posts and start proof reading my future comments. HH Randy

Also, the volume of the threshold tone will determine whether a real deep target is heard or not. There are opposing sides to this statement.
In some cases with the XT70 and more so with the Explorer you will find that the threshold tone drops off in all metal just prior to the audio tone of a target. In other words it sounds like its nulling but I believe it is hesitation between threshold tone and target tone. If that makes any sense.

One more clarification please. When I was out on Sunday, I tried running in the all-metal mode, but, besides the threshold tone, only had one target response tone, not multiple tones. IE; 2,3,4,99. Perhaps I need to again review the manual.

The only way I was able to hear all of the tones (2,3,4,etc.) was in one of the patterns (pattern 1), and after I changed the pattern to accept the predefined rejected segments (-2,-4,-6,-eight). I left segment 48 as rejected. Worked great, but are you saying you don't have to do that to get "all" of the tones you have set regardless if they are set to accept, or reject? I would think by the very nature of having a rejected segment that it's audio wouldn't be heard. That's the idea of rejection, or else things changed recently, and my old age has really caught up to me. :D

I might add that up to Sunday, I was still on the fence with the X-Terra 70. Of course, I had only been able to use it briefly before the snows came in mid December, and didn't leave until about a week ago. After changing Pattern 1's rejected segments to be accepted so I could hear both the iron (low tone), and the non-ferrous (high tone) targets, this machine really started working for me. I was using the 10.5 7.5kHz DD coil, and the performance was exceptional. The iron would grunt as expected, and the non-ferrous would sing out. I was running in two tone mode as I didn't care where the non-ferrous came in. I just wanted to hear it's high tone as opposed to the low tone of the iron. There was no modern trash at this site.

Thanks,
OldeTymer

you should hear how ever many tones you have the detector set for. I like to run in four tone mode. That gives me a low tone for all negative notch segments, a medium-low tone for notch segments 2 through 24, a medium-high tone for notch segments 26 through 40 and a high tone for 42 through 48. If you re in a Pattern mode, you will only hear the tone represented by the targets that are being accepted. Rejected target notches will not make a tone. If you are only getting one tone in all metal, you might want to check to make sure your settings are correct for the number of tones you want. HH Randy

Thanks Mike,and all that replied, I think I've got my head around the Threshold now and sorted out the headphone problem.Did some experimenting with the 70 on a fairly clean stony river shore,ground balanced it with auto and then checked every so often it didn't change much,and as the targets where few and far between I tried out the prospect mode which I found excellent, on hitting a target a quick change to see what it is in AM Coin and then decide to dig or not.Sometimes the AM coin mode couldn't find a signal till I dug down a way,I don't consider this a fault with the machine its more like putting it in to overdrive.(Those Alu.lids can be pretty deep).
I have one more question about the ground balance numbers would I be right in thinking that the lower numbers mean low mineralisation and vice versa?.
HH
John

Hmmm, I'm going to have to check mine out. I thought for sure that I was only getting a single tone in all-metal. Perhaps I didn't have the machine set as I thought I did, or there was some other pilot error. I'll let you know what I find out after I get done with a bunch of "honey-do's".

Thanks,
OldeTymer