Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Xterra 305 and 505 depth difference and GB 0-20 vs 0-50??

Lem

I like what I see about the xterra, wanting to get one for my wife, who is a beginner, just not clear on the significance of
how they differ concerning depth, and the difference of 0 to 20 versus 0 to 50 on ground balance. Our soil conditions are moderately to highly mineralized.

thanks for your assistance

I don't believe that there is any depth difference based on GB range. The range is the same, but the increments are finer with the 505...similar to the increments of discrimination.

Having owned them both, IMO the depth is no difference with the 9" CC factory coil for the 305 vs. the 505. As far as GB, I found (in highly mineralized soil) that my normal GB on the 305 was around 4-5 and on the 505 was around 9. Think that figures out to ~20%-25% of the total GB range on each detector (with a slight adjustment on the 505 for finer increments). My thought is that the GB range is the same [same lower limit & same upper limit] on both with the 505 being able to obtain a 'finer' or 'narrower' GB setting. Being able to achieve a 'finer' GB might allow you to get a little more depth, but I found it to be of minimal , if any, difference. Keep in mind that both the 305 & 505 both have manual GB and both are set in the same way. The 705 has auto GB.

Other thoughts:
You will find that you will benefit greatly with a DD coil in highly mineralized areas.
The 305 is a great beginners detector, but the 705 is actually more simple to use (just has more bells & whistles)
Again, IMO...I would stick with either the 305 (for price) or jump to the 705 and not go for the 505 (and I still use my 505 as a back-up).

Hope this helps.:twodetecting:

Long hair and Mountain Digger, sincerely appreciate your response, you've answered my questions. I like the 705, and yes auto GB would make
it easier for my wife. All know at this point, is I want a 705.:crazy:

good choise 705 all the way