Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Xterra 705 old stock?

It is an excellent detector. It has been my primary in the past and I will not hesitate to recommend it for use today.

I know that I'm biased as hell, but I have to say that for those who actually put the time in to learn what the 705 can do it's an amazingly capable machine. It was ahead of it's time when released, and I'll never be without one for what it brought to the table.
Congratulations on your new X-Terra!

Will Minelab still fix the 705's?

Congrats on the great deal with warranty too! They're great detectors. I've never heard of one failing other than a rare speaker dying which is a simple fix. I did have one with a loose connector but just pushed it on.

They really are pretty trouble free. I've heard of a couple main board failures, but it's an extremely rare occurrence. Everything else I've heard of was either physical damage, or the afore mentioned speaker issue that's most often just a bad connection in the headphone jack.
Oh, and every now and then a coil goes south, but even that's not common.

Where..?
I was in Sportsmens Warehouse last night and saw they were having a sale on metal detectors. On the shelf was a new Xterra 705 for 297.00. Salesman said they were getting rid of old stock. Didnt plan on buying one, but couldn't pass it up. Everyone needs another detector!

Dude,,,you are so correct, I just tried the Nel 12x13 coil,
Holy cow..Now I'm at 23"s deep!!!
Eat your heart out knox lovers.
Just think of what it could do with a large properly programmed coil, like a 15" Coiltek/Minelab.
NEL coils and all the other pirated technology coils for Xterras are NOT authorized, and do NOT benefit from information necessary for optimum function in the all digital format that the Xterra line pioneered.

The nel coils were the best made coils made for the Xterra construction wise. You didn’t have to worry about balance and coil ears breaking. I had several nel’s .I used the hunter the most. But I liked the minelab coils also. I had probably ten or more coils over the years for them The deepest coil I had was the 9inch minelab 18.75 khz for civil war bullets though. I’m with longhair on the xterra being ahead in it’s time. They were and still are great detectors. I had three of four 70’s and two 705’s. And one 50.

The nel coils were the best made coils made for the Xterra construction wise. You didn’t have to worry about balance and coil ears breaking. I had several nel’s .I used the hunter the most. But I liked the minelab coils also. I had probably ten or more coils over the years for them The deepest coil I had was the 9inch minelab 18.75 khz for civil war bullets though. I’m with longhair on the xterra being ahead in it’s time. They were and still are great detectors. I had three of four 70’s and two 705’s. And one 50.
The NEL coils might be built beefy, but they lack in performance. Personally, I use my Coiltek coils the most, and never give the construction of them a second thought. Now that Minelab is producing the coils that Coiltek developed, I would trust them the same.

li would have to disagree with you on performance. I have used almost every coil made for the xterra. The hunter coil was my favorite coil. I would agree that the bigger Nel coils didn’t perform as well. I know for a fact you used to use Nel coils and highly praised them years ago. But when you got affiliations with Minelab you changed your stance. I have always looked up to you and respected you highly and alway will but you need to let people have there opinion on Nel coils. I have thousands of of hours on xterras and both companies make great coils. Minelab coils are great but Nel coils are too.

li would have to disagree with you on performance. I have used almost every coil made for the xterra. The hunter coil was my favorite coil. I would agree that the bigger Nel coils didn’t perform as well. I know for a fact you used to use Nel coils and highly praised them years ago. But when you got affiliations with Minelab you changed your stance. I have always looked up to you and respected you highly and alway will but you need to let people have there opinion on Nel coils. I have thousands of of hours on xterras and both companies make great coils. Minelab coils are great but Nel coils are too.
I used ONE, but only until I knew better. Working with Randy and Coiltek to develop new coils was quite an education. The time I spent evaluating coils prior to their release and communicating with Coiltek made me aware of specifics that I still can't disclose, that the pirates don't have access to. Some things (especially digital things) simply can't be reverse engineered. They might get the hardware pretty close, but the programming is another story.

Yes you and digger do know how all the internal s work on a coil. I have know idea how that all works. But you and digger sure could find the good stuff with the xterra. I think digger found two or three 1877 Indian cents with his. I will probably have another xterra one day.

Still wish Minelab or Coiltek would make a 5x10 open frame, waterproof coil and a 11" DD like on the Nox and CTX.

Still wish Minelab or Coiltek would make a 5x10 open frame, waterproof coil and a 11" DD like on the Nox and CTX.
Sadly, I'm afraid that there won't be any further coil development for the Xterra line. You just have to be satisfied with the 5X10" HF and the 10½" MF & HF offerings (which happen to be the only coils that aren't waterproof). Some folks have waterproofed their own coils with Flex-Seal™ or even silicone caulk with good success.