Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

xterra 705 volume mutes out

Joe Z

I purchased an exterra 705 about 10 days ago and every now and then when i use either the external speaker or headphones the volumes will mute out and i hear nothing but the screen still shows the TID's and all other functions as i toggle around..... I then shut off the MD and turn it back on (sometimes more than once) then the volume will return. Has anybody ever run across this situation?
I have been all thru the manual and randy's book and no mention of it anywhere and my volume is definitely up high from the menu setting along with fresh batteries. Sure hope it's something simple
Joe

Hi Joe!

Looks like you have some problem with your MD,haven't heard of that problem until now.
Better contact Minelab.
I have a bad coil that will go in for repair,also sometimes pinpointing acts weird on my X-terra 705,the sound just disappear to a very faint signal making it very hard to locate the target,but that is only with headphones?? Really strange but I guess there is some
sensitive electronics in da

It sounds like it's simply a loose connection Joe. It happened a bit early on when the X-Terras came out. If you take it back to your dealer, they can have it repaired (warranty) real quick.
Mick Evans.

Thanks Mike,Mick....
It does it very rarely but it still happens......I'm afraid if i send it back now it won't happen in their shop.....Maybe i'll give it a few weeks and it will get worse so a diagnosis would be easier......
All in all this is a very good machine at detecting and would still re-purchase this if i had to..
Joe

My 705 sometimes mutes out too, but in pin point mode. I go in and out of pin point and it seems to work.
My machine was purchased June 2011.
Thank you

Maynard.....
That's what starts mine doing it also, going into "Pinpoint" will have to try your remedy
I see your outside of Pittsburg...we just moved four months ago from Reading, Pa area to Arizona
Thanks,
Joe

I noticed that mine mutes in pinpoint mode as well, sometimes I need to take it out of PP mode and then back in and then it's good. When I do this proceedure, I am sure to have it in mid air. I was wondering if it was caused by it being on a target when it went into PP mode and caused it to somehow cancel?

Maynard, enjoyed the hunt last week, I was sure whooped when I got home, my feet still hurt the next day! We did some serious walking miles!

I feel better already seeing that it happened with a couple of you in pinpoint mode as that what happens with me so a simple in/out on pinpoint should reset it.
thanks, I'll post back next time it happens :)
Joe

It IS because you're over the target.
It responds just like holding your ProPointer on a target when powering up. It basiclly de-sensitizes it to that target.
Best consistant results that I get are when I'm off target, but still reading the TID that I'm pursuing when I hit the pinpoint button. It's sometimes difficult when in a peticularly trashy area.

I do notice that it effectively "blanks" the target if I'm on it when I switch to that mode, but there are also times when a halo around a rusty piece will give a good tone just off an edge, and when I change modes there's nothing there in that TID range. Then I'll swing back further than I was getting the tone and engage the iron.

Old Longhair
Thanks for your input and I fully understand what you are saying and from now on when i switch to pinpoint i will be sure to be away from the target..... The strange thing is that when it mutes out it mutes out for everything and no matter what target i am over while walking around it is completely silent and even the threshold is silent. I spoke with a minelab rep and they know about what they called a glitch and a simple on/off pinpoint should straighten it out but i will be very careful as you pointed out to put it in pinpoint while off target.
Thanks,
Joe

Wow! Guess I did not realize that my X-terra's will de-sensitize (like the ProPointer) when I go to Pinpoint ... but the Factory Instruction Manual does say that once a target location is known, "move the coil outside of that area and [then] press Pinpoint". So I guess this infers that I would be de-sensitizing my X-Terra to any objects below my coil while I am still in Pinpoint mode!!!

Thank you Old Longhair for this 'heads up' on how to properly pinpoint with all the X-Terra's.

Just like us men, we never read the manual! I guess that explains it.