Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Xterra coil

I a 18.75kHz coil for my Xterra 70. I am considering buying a 7.5kHz coil. Would I be better off using the coil I have for relics, or the 7.5 kHzcoil. Thanks.

I take it you're talking about the 9-inch concentric coils? If so, I don't find much difference between the 9-inch concentric at 7.5 kHz and the 18.75 kHz, as far as depth is concerned. I do find the 18.75 kHz to be a bit more sensitive, requiring me to back the Sensitivity off a couple clicks from what the X-TERRA is "capable" of handling with either of the other two 9-inch concentrics. What is more important than frequency is the coil design. If the ground phase number that you get when you ground balance your detector at some of your favorite sites is 28 or smaller, that means your soil is mineralized to a level that you'd be better off with a DD coil. If the ground phase number is larger than 28, your soil is considered to be moderately mineralized and concentric coils should work just fine. But either way, if you're itching to buy another coil, you might consider the 10.5 - inch DD at 7.5 kHz. It hunts deep, covers more ground with each swath and will "combat" the ill effects of highly mineralized ground, should you happen to hunt those type sites.

On the other hand, if you already have the HF 10.5 - inch DD and were asking about getting the MF 10.5 - inch DD, I don't think you'd be gaining anything for relic hunts. JMHO HH Randy

I already have the 10.5 coil in 18.75 kHz. I was told that the7.5kHz coil was better for relic hunting. I don't to miss any relics because of the wrong coil. Thanks for the help.