Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

xterra obsolete

Hello

Will Minelab stop making the x-terra 705 do you think ? if their new machine makes all other VLF detectors obsolete?

I have no idea what Minelab as planned for the Xterra line, but I won't sell my 705 under any circumstances. I like that with my Xterra I can choose a single frequency below 5kHz, which is the lowest single frequency the new Equinox offers.

I have a super clean 70 on its way. Had one years ago that was a hot little son of a pup. I made the mistake of selling it to try other detectors. I have used the 705's and they are great on old silver, but sure missed the 70. Looking forward to another 70.

It won't be obsolete for me. I just got my first one about a month ago and, while I have yet to find silver with it, I am liking it a lot. So much so that I just ordered a second! I plan on leaving my Digger coil on one and using the HF elliptical to search for "turf" gold on the other. NICE MACHINE!

I have had my x-terra 705 and various coils for 8 years and a cscope before that. I will be keeping the x-terra at least until i do some in ground testing between the x-terra and the Equinox.

Mine is not for sale. ---- Say what they will, I have seen NO significant improvement in metal detectors for about 10 years. ------Granted, the manufacturers claim to have invented a new miraculous machine, (like the AT MAX ) -(cough/cough)----but as it turns out, it is pretty much just a slightly higher powered AT Pro, and the additional power has cost the machine in terms of noise, problems with EMI, and a less stable machine, while only adding a very marginal amount of depth. -----the Deus? , (we won't go there)---- So I think I will keep my T2's, my 705, and my Racer2 until someone convinces me that a revolutionary new detector is available. --- From what I have seen and read about the Equinox, it does indeed look impressive, ---- but talk is cheap, and I still say that you will not detect anything unless you swing your detector over it. ---- More hours detecting = more finds. ------ Just my opinion............

bd1024 said:
Mine is not for sale. ---- Say what they will, I have seen NO significant improvement in metal detectors for about 10 years. ------Granted, the manufacturers claim to have invented a new miraculous machine, (like the AT MAX ) -(cough/cough)----but as it turns out, it is pretty much just a slightly higher powered AT Pro, and the additional power has cost the machine in terms of noise, problems with EMI, and a less stable machine, while only adding a very marginal amount of depth. -----the Deus? , (we won't go there)---- So I think I will keep my T2's, my 705, and my Racer2 until someone convinces me that a revolutionary new detector is available. --- From what I have seen and read about the Equinox, it does indeed look impressive, ---- but talk is cheap, and I still say that you will not detect anything unless you swing your detector over it. ---- More hours detecting = more finds. ------ Just my opinion............

I'm in the same boat as you.
Though I don't have the Xterra, I have other Minelab machines. I will say the E-trac is much better than my SE and SE Pro (disclaimer: I recently sold the SE and SE Pro but hung on to my XS which I will NEVER sell), until I see newer technological advances, I'm keeping what I have.

Haven't been using my 705 but will keep it for a backup. With all the coils I've bought for it, I'd lose too much money to get rid of it. It has been an excellent machine and every time I got a new coil for it, it was like getting a new machine. Was thinking of giving it to my daughter because she's shown a lot of interest in my metal detecting finds. Have got my name on a waiting list for the Equinox, but i think i'll just have the Equinox sent to my daughter, and keep the 705. Would be nice if the Equinox came out before Christmas.

ive never owned one but there seems to be a lot of people think the first explorer like the XS were deeper,when you speed up the recovery speed like on the later Explorer it caused a lose of depth. Which is probably true as detectors with a re-activity setting the faster the recovery you set the less depth you get, this was also mentioned on the Equinox vid .

Sounds to me like they're going to kick the competition's butt across the spectrum of new and used machines.

May be discontinued but it's only Obsolete if you don't use it.

I just bought one today after the price drop. I think it's the best value on a detector right now.

Discontinued, probably soon, but Far from Obsolete.

Minelab dropped the price of the Advantage before they discontinued it so most likely.
There are a lot of great machines still in use that have been discontinued.
New doesn't necessarily mean better.

Neil said:
Minelab dropped the price of the Advantage before they discontinued it so most likely.
There are a lot of great machines still in use that have been discontinued.
New doesn't necessarily mean better.

Totally agree. The 705 is a really great machine and still will be even if discontinued.
If it works and finds the goods....it's not obsolete!

Hello said:
I have had my x-terra 705 and various coils for 8 years and a cscope before that. I will be keeping the x-terra at least until i do some in ground testing between the x-terra and the Equinox.

***********************​

"Hello" Hello,

In my opinion, their is no rational platform ( functionalities, frequencies or features) upon which anyone can make meaningful comparisons.

The EQUINOX simply surmounts the X-Terra's capabilities in terms of 'finds spectrum', depth of same, and accuracy of VDI classification.

Buy it and try it; then patiently move into the modern era of value-for-money metal detecting technology.

PERIODIC; Sequential pulse-widths transmissions; ( Hence the Multi-Frequencies aspects,)

The Receiver's subsequent. sampling; algorithms, are 'weighted' to optimally extract the class of targets desired; from the anticipated ground-characteristics-and 'trash', in the environmental circumstances implied by the PROGRAM'S title. PARK, FIELD, BEACH, etc.

Ultimately; you simply apply what experience you've acquired, and tailor the 'modes' of tone, volume, response timing and iron bias, that suites YOUR personal assessment of a target's 'reply'.
LIMIT your over-usage of IRON-BIAS, and cryptic RESPONSE speed.

Instead, apply YOUR manual sweep-speed control, to interpret matters.

Just one man's thoughts, on multi choice NOX detecting....matt

P.S. If only the NOX was as of the same 'quality-build' as the X-TERRA, then we would all be happy to replace the old with the new..

I have a X-Terra 505, Still after all these years, I still love the machine.(y)

I loved my 705 but, just couldn’t use it on at the beach ( wet sand ). Other then that..it was good. I no longer have it though. My only beef with the X-terra series is needing the coils to achieve the desired frequency which can add to the price....I now own the Vanquish 540 . Awesome little unit on the beach!...it’s a better value for sure at $370.00 vs $ 500 + ....I imagine the X- terra series will fade out in near future but, will see?

Regardless of whatever else I may have, I'll never sell my 705. It's still a pleasure to swing, and it does what I want/need it to do.