Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Xterra wired phones

Wild Willy

My Xterra that I bought recently will not accept any of my three wired phones. I have the proper adapter (Minelab) and that doesn't seem to make a difference.. I've spent at least 4 hours trying every combination of head phone and button punching and get no sound from the wired phones. I have owned over 50 detectors since 1974 and never experienced this problem. Any help is truly appreciated. It's probably something simple that I'm not doing but how complicated can it be? I've even used fac. reset 3 times. Exasperated and P.O'd.!!

Certain headphones due to the wiring configuration from what I understand, will not work on the XTP as well as the Equinox series
Out of the ones I have, only a pair of Garrett MS-2 headphones will work on mine.

I don't know what the problem is.
What I do know is that you need a stereo plug, and the volume controls for the speaker and headphones work independently.

If you have a Xterra pro does it take 1/4 inch plug you shouldn't need a adapter if it is like the reg Xterra series, if the headphone you are trying have 1/8 jack then you will need a adapter to go to 1/4 to fit in the jack.
now if it uses the 1/4 you shouldn't need a adapter, but now some headphone are mono and some stereo and some has a switch to change from stereo to mono that can fix that. As you will see that most headphone have this switch.
One of the things I have seen is many time when this problem arrives where they have this switch and will work on one that is a mono or stereo and not on the other is one of the wires in the cable is broke. As you know the bisset problem with headphones is that one of the wires get broke in the cable so Gray Ghost make a headphone called the NDT (No Down Time) that has the cable replaceable in the field so you can keep on detecting if you have a extra cable with you.
The biggest problem is when they make the stereo or mono detector and if your detector is mono and try to stereo headphone and they don't work, there is some headphone company that know make a set that are wired to work on any stereo or mono with no switch.
I never had one of the Xterra pro, but uses and sold may of the reg Xterra and alway made sure they had a set of Headphone that had the switch to change from mono the stereo and a set that didnt need it as they were wired do work either way.

Good Luck and hope this will help

Rick

Thanks Rick. The Xterra Pro does use a 1/8" jack. At least mine does. I do not like the 1/8" but that's what it is. I don't know why unless it was a "space" issue on the back of the head. I just ordered some ML85's which is what the manual specifies for wireless. Lousy design by Minelab. I now have more money in accessories than the Xterra itself cost. I've been using head phones for 50 years and never had a problem like this. Maybe I have gotten old and stupid. Now that's a real possibility.

If you have a Xterra pro does it take 1/4 inch plug you shouldn't need a adapter if it is like the reg Xterra series, if the headphone you are trying have 1/8 jack then you will need a adapter to go to 1/4 to fit in the jack.
now if it uses the 1/4 you shouldn't need a adapter, but now some headphone are mono and some stereo and some has a switch to change from stereo to mono that can fix that. As you will see that most headphone have this switch.
One of the things I have seen is many time when this problem arrives where they have this switch and will work on one that is a mono or stereo and not on the other is one of the wires in the cable is broke. As you know the bisset problem with headphones is that one of the wires get broke in the cable so Gray Ghost make a headphone called the NDT (No Down Time) that has the cable replaceable in the field so you can keep on detecting if you have a extra cable with you.
The biggest problem is when they make the stereo or mono detector and if your detector is mono and try to stereo headphone and they don't work, there is some headphone company that know make a set that are wired to work on any stereo or mono with no switch.
I never had one of the Xterra pro, but uses and sold may of the reg Xterra and alway made sure they had a set of Headphone that had the switch to change from mono the stereo and a set that didnt need it as they were wired do work either way.

Good Luck and hope this will help

Rick
Rick,
The headphone Jack on the XTerra Pro is identical to the one used on the Equinox series, and most likely the Manticore too.
The first time I took my 800 out to try, I just used a pair of headphones I had, but soon found out they world not work and the external speaker was still active.
I thought something was wrong with the detector until I got back home and tried my other headphones, and the only ones that would work were the Garrett’s I had.
I tried Sunrays and Killer B’s and both have the switch you spoke of.. neither pair would work.
Later on I remembered reading a post about this issue before got my detector.

Just like the Equinox series when they came out, Minelab has a proprietary configuration. Sunray and others make headphones for the new Minelab's. A wireless module would solve the problem as well.

Read Steve's post on the Detector Prospector forum which explains the wiring needed for wired headphones. This also applies to the XTP.

The adaptor does not work with any of my head phones. My opinion: Terrible design feature from a good company. I will look for the Garrett MS-2 or the Minelab ML 85. I really appreciate all of your responses.

The adaptor does not work with any of my head phones. My opinion: Terrible design feature from a good company. I will look for the Garrett MS-2 or the Minelab ML 85. I really appreciate all of your responses.
You'll probably need to make the wiring change noted in the link to your wired headphones to get them to work. I remember a lot of folks ran into this same problem when the Equinoxes came on the scene in early 2018 and were able to solve it with the wiring change. Good luck WW.

I bought the ML 85, a smaller coil and and a adapter cord. One more small item and I will exceed the cost of the Xterra which seems to make too much noise no matter what I do. I'll either conquer or surrender.

I bought the ML 85, a smaller coil and and a adapter cord. One more small item and I will exceed the cost of the Xterra which seems to make too much noise no matter what I do. I'll either conquer or surrender.
Turn down your SENS until it stabilizes. Typically, somewhere around 15 is good, but could require a little lower depending on your level of tolerance.