Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yard sale Fishers

Auriemma

I spotted a yard sale ad that said metal detector. So I wake up early on my speed in day and drive out. After I get there and fend off the other yard sale Hawks (a very aggressive bunch... Like territorial seagulls), I see the MD... Or should I say 2. Two Fishers, 1265x, 1280x, and headsets. They were all tangled together by the coil and headphone cables. After a little haggling. I load them in the car and head home. After a serious cleaning and untaping (I think someone had stock in 3M), I load in batteries and tada... They both work.

The 1265x box is pretty banged up. The corner is chipped, bottom mount is cracked, missing a nut and washer on the toggle, and the shaft is stained by old scotch tape, but everything works. Air testing depth with the solid 8" coil, at Max pulled out, and backed off so no chatter is like 8-9". I wonder if Fisher has a replacement box.

The 1280x is in excellent condition. Original fiberglass shaft, oversized padded grip, and SS arm cup. The only issue I found was a broken strain relief of the headphone side. Otherwise it has no issues. For a 5 lb. unit, it balances well. I can only think even better underwater. This one has the smaller 8" coil, but still air tests to 8-9". Respectable for a small coil. The Bilson headphones are not bad, fairly comfortable and very light.

Still not sure if I'm going to hang on to them, or fix and sell them.

One question... I find it odd that both coils are attached with a brass bolt. Is this normal?
Keep in mind, they are small diameter, #10-32 (3/16" dia) I think.

No, many or most of the older models even other brands had metal screws attaching the coils to the lower stems.
In motion mode the screw moves with the coil so it ignores it.
In all metal mode seeing how the screw is there when you switch to it, the detector cancels it out automatically.

Mark

I'm pretty sure that Keith Wills, East Texas Metal Detectors / www.Brokendetector.com, has the replacement cases and probably has the arm cuff rubber and foam grip as well. You might contact him and ask how much it would be to replace those parts.

Good Luck, Nice Find!!

John

Thanks.

Mark, so I shouldn't swap them out (or drill the out for larger) for nylon bolts? They are 10-32 brass. Nylon that thin won't last long.

John, I contacted Keith... Yes, he as a replacement control box, he also has the locking bolt for the Trigger. The cuff has rubber, the previous owner glued the wool pad in. I peeled it off this morning.

Nice score, for a no display machine, the 1265x is my all time favourite. The audio language on those older fishers is almost like having a vid.

Well... I got the replacement housing and switch hardware from Keith (www.brokendetector.com). Perfect fit. Thanks Keith!
The rebuild was flawless. I just need some foam for underneath the box to add some comfort.

I have a brand new box just have to drill the holes.

EXCUSE PLEASE, NOTICED YOU HAVE A 555-d FISHER. just BOUGHT ONE, NO BOOK WITH IT, WOULD YOU CONSIDER COPY ONE FOR ME, I'LL PAY FOR IT ALSO WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE 555-d THAT i MIGHT NEED TO KNOW ? been PLAYING THIS GAME FOR 35+ YRS SO I'M NOT A NEW COMER. you CAN WRITE smitty78659@gmail.com. BY ALL MEANS HAVE FUN, LIFE IS SHORT MY XL & i LIVE NEAR Austin, Texas EVER DOWN THIS WAY LET'S GO DIG IN THE DIRT SOME TIME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,