Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

YeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaa!!! X-Terra kicked ASS at my old school house Sat. morning!

George Fatizzi

Man I gotta tell ya, the X-terra more than surpassed my wildest expectations yesterday at one of the toughest sites I hunt. For the past 10 plus years, (as long as I have been metal detecting as a matter of fact), I have been hunting a favorite old schoolhouse that was in use from around the 1880's to about the 1940's or so. This site is literally blanketed with conductive coil clinkers deposited after many years of wood stove heat for the little school. Needless to say, finds have always been very tough to detect in this environment. The coal not only cuts down on depth, it masks a lot of good targets. Previously, the most effective machines that produced results were the multi-frequency Minelab Sovereign and Explorer. The single frequency VLFs I have used in the past,(and believe me there were MANY), failed miserably as they just couldn't keep up with that kind of mineralization. Until now! Without a doubt, the X-Terra is the best single frequency detector I have ever used, bar none! It's combination of ergonomics, power, weight and user friendliness left me wanting to detect here all day long. Minelab really got it right with this one. First off, all the controls actually work and work well. I have to admit, getting accustomed to a concentric coil on a Minelab took some time but man can it hunt trash! I found it IDs the coal clinkers mostly as iron (-6) but the larger ones will sometimes give a positive (+3) with the worst offenders squeeling in at a high 45 reading. The only time it misread into the teens was when I would get an elongated one. Guess that's just a quirk of the concentric coil. The X-terra made it so easy to hunt in this mess. I hunted wide open only because I like to hear all that is in the ground but it worked fine in the preset disc pattern for coins as well. The seated dime and V nickel (1886 and 1888 respectively) came up together in the same clump of dirt. It was a weird mixed reading. I kept getting the dime reading (36) but when sweeping another way I would see the numbers pulled down into the teens. Pinpointed nice and tight though so I dug as it sounded good. First I saw the brown disc of the V nicklel and thought it must be a corrodded large cent. Then I saw the glint of silver and whooped when I found out it was Seated Liberty. Only my third in 10 years, second one from this schoolhouse and in GREAT shape! Next I dug a couple of IH and wheats then another solid 36 was banging in my ears and I said "no way, not another silver dime!" Sure enough this beautiful 1908 Barber comes to light. Folks, you have NO idea how long it's been since I've dug silver, let alone OLD silver at a POUNDED site like this! I was elated. The X-terra made this site feel virgin again. I hate to sound like Mr. Hype but most of you know I'm a huge Sovereign fan. This machine reminds me of the baby produced by a union with the Sov and Explorer. Some quick tips: 1) turn down your sensitivity! Mine worked great in this lousy environment at 15 2)lift your coil a little in the heavy trash. The concentric coil works to your advantage here as it narrows down and picks out the goodies! 3)don't try to swing it too fast, ya gotta listen to what those tones are telling you and I love the sound of Minelab's SILVER tone! Kudos Minelab! Nice job on this one and mark my words, THIS one won't be hitting the classifieds anytime soon! (Now THAT's saying something coming from me! LOL) HH George Fatizzi

George,

I understand your elation at being able to hunt that site and make some great finds! Congrats! I bet you were grinning from ear to ear!

The site I have in mind has a lot of high falses on the big cinders with the C$, nearly constant high tones! Being able to notch +45 on the X-T 50 could well be a godsend there.

HH Tom

I forgot I could notch out the high 45 tones! LOL... I really love this machine! It's so easy to use and is an unexpected pleasure. The pinpoint mode is second to none! I really like that Minelab designed it with a motion all metal mode AND a non-motion pinpoint mode. And it IDs in pinpoint mode! What more could you ask for??? I was only at this sight about 2 hours or so. I can't believe I found this stuff. When I tell you it's pounded, I mean with every make, model and coil size available to man. The 9" concentric surprised me with it's capabilities in the trash. The X-terra has not only made me a happy camper but it has brought back fun to detecting again. You bet I had a grin ear to ear when I dug that Seated! Can't wait to see what it will do with a smaller accessory coil in either frequency. HH George

I couldn't have said it better myself: for you to not flip a machine really means something.

Now if I can just find sites here in CA to hunt like those places you have around you.

Good tips you mentioned that bear repeating:

1. You DO NOT have to run the machine at full sensitivity to get deep coins. 12 - 15 works just fine and the machine runs smooth.

2. Don't scrub the coil--swing it about an inch off of the ground (the manual reminds you of this fact). The detector runs much smoother this way.

Keep it up, George, and keep us "posted" (little forum pun...).

Bill (S. CA)

Glad to hear that you like the machine, George. It really is fun to use and I am finding that my Explorer is sitting in the corner a lot longer than I expected it to.

On my first outing with my T-50, three of the first four targets I dug were the same thing. The first time, I noticed a two tone bouncer but was repeatable based on direction upon the target(s). Looked at the display and I was getting a 36/12 (and vice versa depending on direction of coil travel) bounce for the most part. I decided to dig just to see what it was given that it wasn't acting like a typical trash target with more random bouncing. All three groups were such that both coins were touching but had no other trash target close by. I was surprised that there wasn't more averaging occurring and that I'd missed these previously.

With a smaller or DD coil at 7.5Khz it ought to be super in the nasty stuff.

Winter is closing in on me quick so I need you guys to lets us all know how these new machine(s) :biggrin: work out.

HH and keep the reports coming.

Tom

n/t