Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yes or no......

Sonora70

Still trying to figure out the 705......I have a lot where an old house once stood. To date I have found 3 or 4 wheaties, a skeleton key, and so other trash items. I consider this my practice area to try to learn my machine.

Situation, do you guys wait till you get a solid hit before you dig? I just purchased a 10" 7.5 DD coil hoping my hits would be more consistent as far as tone and ID numbers. I'm still getting several situations where the ID's are all over the place. Do/should I dig them? At what point do I become confident in my tones and digging decisions. I'm ground balancing in the 30's, at what depth can/should I expect to penny?
Is it me or is this machine an expert in finding pennies? Seems like thats all I can find, still looking for my first silver! Thanks for your help in all these questions.

Sonora70 said:
Still trying to figure out the 705......I have a lot where an old house once stood. To date I have found 3 or 4 wheaties, a skeleton key, and so other trash items. I consider this my practice area to try to learn my machine.

Situation, do you guys wait till you get a solid hit before you dig? I just purchased a 10" 7.5 DD coil hoping my hits would be more consistent as far as tone and ID numbers. I'm still getting several situations where the ID's are all over the place. Do/should I dig them? At what point do I become confident in my tones and digging decisions. I'm ground balancing in the 30's, at what depth can/should I expect to penny?
Is it me or is this machine an expert in finding pennies? Seems like thats all I can find, still looking for my first silver! Thanks for your help in all these questions.

Sounds like you're in the right spot to practice and learn the detector. All good targets will not necessarily provide a sold hit with each pass of the coil. It depends on how much discrimination you are running and if there is an adjacent target. If, for example, you have nails notched to reject, and there is a nail beside a coin, you won't hear that coin from all directions. And depending on how fast you are sweeping with that bigger coil, and the amount of targets in the area, you may not hear it from a couple directions. And those multiple targets could be causing the TID's jumping all over the place. About the best advice I could give you to make sure the TID is working properly would be to drop a couple coins on the ground and see how they respond. As to digging those that you have doubts about....... dig them all! That is how we learn! If you happen to pull out a couple old dimes from those targets you've passed up, think how much fun it is will be going back to dig all those up! Hearing something that you've overlooked in previous hunts..... that is how you build your confidence in your tones and digging decisions.
Sounds like you're doing well on the pennies. Keep in mind that in "those days" kids carried FAR more pennies than anything else. If you've hitting pennies, those silver coins are just around the corner. HH Randy

Right or wrong I typically start out at a new location with a 10.5" coil going for what I call "gimmies". I'll pretty much only dig signals that I really think are coins or rings. After I've done that in nearly all directions I'll go for the "iffy" signals using either the same coil or a 6" coil depending on the size of the area that I'm detecting.

I always tell everyone that's new to detecting that park hunting is probably the best training. Not necessarily trashy close to the shelter work but getting in an area where people have played frisbee or touch football because you'll typically find a decent amount of coins and you'll get accustom to what they sound like besides digging some trash. You'll get good at telling the difference between a nickel and a pull tab and a quarter and a bottle cap, both of which will still fool you from time to time no matter how long you have been detecting.

Nothing can replace just getting out somewhere and putting the hours in.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips. I'll head back to the "lot" and continue my learning. There has to be a couple silver coins over there......I just have to believe that among the pennies there's a good chance. I'll dig the iffy's and see what happens. My goal was to really get some time in this holiday weekend but we have had a wash out here in my area. May try to risk the mud and see what's out there.