Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yesterday I caused a Man to Cry

GeorgeinSC

Thursday I was at one of the local beaches and a lady asked me to try to help find her friends prescription sun glasses. I worked the area where they thought that she had lost her sun glasses out till the water was up to my armpits without any luck. After 20 minutes of looking I decided that I had enjoyed the coolness of the water long enough. Neither of the Ladies bothered to thank me for looking.

Yesterday was a new day and a new adventure.

I went to one of the local beaches that was re nourished last year and proceeded to do some detecting. Started out working in an Easterly Direction and was finding very few targets for my efforts. Turned and started working back in a westerly direction both in and out of the water. After I had covered about five city blocks I noticed a nice cut and was in the process of checking to see if maybe there might have been something uncovered.

Had a young lady walk up to me and ask "Will that thing find a ring". I replied that it would and she said "My Daddy Lost his wedding ring". About that time Her Mother showed up and after talking with her a couple of minutes I told her that i would be happy to go see if I could find the ring.

As we were walking the 300 or so yards back up the beach she showed me her wedding band. She and her Husband had matching wedding bands that he had made before they were married 35 years ago. He is Retired Army and they live in Germany. They are here for their Daughters Wedding.

When we arrived on the location I noticed that her husband was walking back and forth on the packed sand looking for his ring. I was not too hopeful as the area gets detected some times multiple times a day and he had lost the ring on Thursday.

I started working the area and in just a few minutes I had a beautiful tone on my Excalibur II that told me that I had either found his ring or had found one for me.

I took a scoop of the sand and when I shook the sand out of the scoop his wedding band was in hand. I showed her the ring and she called to her husband "He Found It". Her husband looked like he was in shock and when I handed him the ring his hands were shaking so badly that he had difficulty getting the ring back on his finger. His wife was standing there laughing and crying at the same time.

He then turned and walked away about 20-30 yards and I could see his shoulders shaking and he was wiping the tears out of his eyes. His Wife said "Do Not go anywhere as he wants to Reward You." I told her that I did not look for the ring in hopes of a reward and no reward was needed or desired. She said Please take the reward as he needs to be able to reward you for his own benefit.

After he composed himself and came back I told him that I was overjoyed to be able to assist in getting his ring back where it belonged. After quite a while of trying to dissuade him from rewarding me I told him that If he felt that he had to do so I would accept a Small Reward.

He said I don't have any cash on me so i will write a check if you will promise me that you will cash it. I finally relented and when he went to get a pen his wife again said Please for my husband accept the reward as he really needs to reward you.

He wrote the check and put it in my shirt pocket. We said our goodbys and I went back to detecting. About a half hour later I looked at the check and nearly passed out. I had to look at the number quite a few times for the amount of the check to sink in.

Now I wish I had not made the promise that I would cash the check. The thrill of finding and Returning that ring was the highlight of my short detecting Career.

Man! What a great adventure! ...Listen Geo, you have to cash that check or you will rob the guy of being square with the World...You know the kind of guy he is, you are probably the same...spend it on something you need, or use it how you see fit to pay it forward if that makes you feel better...Well done!:please:

None of us do this for rewards I imagine, but also none of us ever thought we would be called upon to save the day for people either...really great post!:clapping:
Mud

Wow george,that is a great story that has me chuckling and wiping away a tear as i read it.... i had the privilege of saving someones day under sort of simular circumstances last fall and i know gratitude means more to you the any reward money but mud has a good point ,you have to cash it to keep this guys spiritual universe in check...now ,what you do with the cash is your business. ..you could spend a little on your own needs and or donate the rest to charity as this will clear your conscience. ..you did mention this gentleman was retired army..perhaps a donation to something like the wounded warrior project or the like would be like giving the money back if you so desire... your killing me by not revealing the amount..lol... this poor guy was emotionally ill over this loss till the powers that be put you in his path.. funny how its always the daughter who works up the courage to ask us for help ... congrats to you george... im sure they will relive that story many times around the kitchen table and every time they do they will think of you and smile....you did a wonderful thing...

nice story and nicer return, its your biz what the amount is and what you do with it like the others said you did a good deed so dont stress and have a little fun with it. hh

Wow, I was getting emotional just reading that story! Good work man! :cheers:

-pete

I always had a problem when people would want to do something nice for me in exchange for helping them in their time of need. Getting compensated, regardless of the method, was never my intent when helping someone out. All that changed one day when a I did a favor for a close friend, and I refused a gift he wanted to give me for helping him. He simply said..."Why do you want to take away my joy?" I was crushed. I had been so self centered my entire life at receiving the joy we receive from giving, that I never considered that I was denying someone else of that same joy by my selfishness. That was more than 35 years ago, and since then I have taken the stance of saying one time that a reward/thanks/gift is not necessary, and when the person says "I insist," I let down my guard and allow them to show their gratitude in their own way.

It is in giving that we receive, so we must let others give so they get the same feeling of joy.