Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yet ANOTHER question for Randy (or anyone that knows the answer)

D&P-OR

It seems the h.p.(s) connection is understood now.---Fast forward to the re-chargable battery "query"! :)-----The rechargable battery pack obviously has to be taken out of the detector to charge it--correct?---So, what kind of a waterproof seal/gasket does the battery cover have & is it going to stay in place to effectively protect the batteries from water leakage over the many times they are removed for charging?-----Does this gasket (if that's what it is) stay in place when the battery cover is removed and re-installed or is there a "risk" of it shifting thus breaking the waterproof connection to the battery?-----I hope I am a little "clearer than mud" with my question. :)------------Thanks, Del

From watching a Minelab video of getting started with the ctx 3030 which you can find on their site, yes you have to remove the pack to charge. It appears to have a gasket and is snapped into place when clasping the 2 latches on either side. I do not think anyone could answer how long this method will last because has not been out long enough. But I will say that if it is a rubber gasket or a petroleum type material there is probably a liquid conditioner of sorts available from somewhere to help keep the material pliable and not dry crack and so on. Identify the type of material before purchasing something because some materials can be broken down by using products not meant for them. I will say though that after watching this video myself I have to laugh because of all the previous speculation about how large the battery was when in fact it appears to be smaller then the Etrac battery pack.

don't think there is any patent on water proof gaskets so these have been used for many years on other water machines and work very well and from what i can see are UV resistant so shouldn't be a drama but i guess like everything to do with water sealing pays to keep an eye on it.

D&P-OR there would have to be some sort of a grove the seal fits in to snug and would stay put i hope :biggrin:

BP

D&P-OR said:
So, what kind of a waterproof seal/gasket does the battery cover have & is it going to stay in place to effectively protect the batteries from water leakage over the many times they are removed for charging?-----Does this gasket (if that's what it is) stay in place when the battery cover is removed and re-installed or is there a "risk" of it shifting thus breaking the waterproof connection to the battery

Del, there is a "gasket" that fits into a recessed area around the perimeter of the battery location. It is very difficult to lock down the battery if the gasket isn't situated properly. Impossible? No. But I've had mine in and out dozens of times, and I've not had a problem recognizing when it was not seated properly.

etracjoe said:
I have to laugh because of all the previous speculation about how large the battery was when in fact it appears to be smaller then the Etrac battery pack

Ya know, if you read back through the first few days this forum was online, there were dozens of posts concerning the HUGE battery, how it didn't appear to have interchangeable coils, looked like a weed whacker, wouldn't be able to submerge it in water, how no detector could provide images of multiple targets simultaneously, countless comparisons between FBS2 and VLF, speculating as to whether it would have bluetooth or wifi???? Oh, and let's not forget the posts they'd found information on another forum that put it over 3K US. There certainly was some laughable comments. And there were others that were just plain wrong in so many ways! :rage: HH Randy

The "gasket" is an O-Ring...similar to the waterproofing feature on the AT Pro battery compartment.

The battery pack, once removed from the detector, will fit in the palm of your hand. The cover is sized to fit the housing. The nicad replacement battery pack only holds 8 AAs.

etracjoe said:
I have to laugh because of all the previous speculation about how large the battery was when in fact it appears to be smaller then the Etrac battery pack

Ya know, if you read back through the first few days this forum was online, there were dozens of posts concerning the HUGE battery, how it didn't appear to have interchangeable coils, looked like a weed whacker, wouldn't be able to submerge it in water, how no detector could provide images of multiple targets simultaneously, countless comparisons between FBS2 and VLF, speculating as to whether it would have bluetooth or wifi???? Oh, and let's not forget the posts they'd found information on another forum that put it over 3K US. There certainly was some laughable comments. And there were others that were just plain wrong in so many ways! :rage: HH Randy[/quote]

It must have been soo hard for you to witness all that and not be able to comment. As much as I would love to test out the next great machine that Minelab puts out.....the part that makes me pull to the shoulder is all the craziness that comes with it. I commend you for that. Unfortunately from some of the posts that I've been reading, most folks are not going to believe any statements unless they see it for themselves anyway. In most cases I am like that myself, but I feel I can trust Minelab with the machines they put out in the past. Why should anything change now? I have a feeling that everything will change in the weeks after these machines are in the hands of a few detectorists out there. I wish I had the extra cash laying around for myself, but I'm not going to knock the ctx 3030 because I don't. Won't be long though and I will be swinging one of these bad boys for myself. HH Joe

As far as the seal goes you just need to inspect it like any other water machine. I asked during our training on the detector and no lubricant is required.