Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yet another school-yard medallion

Topdecker

Last night I was trying to plan a good spot to metal detect and started thinking about sites that have areas that might not get hit very often for one reason another. I recalled a little trashy, noisy (intersection plus a railroad track) green area that I thought might produce. Well, it delivered on trash and noise (trains every 15-20 minutes, heaps of aluminum and iron trash) - but it also cranked out some indicators that it is probably a good spot as well as one really nice keeper.

The keeper coin was a 1945 Dutch East Indies 2 1/2 cent piece. It's been drilled to be a medallion and I can't help to imagine that some serviceman returned from WWII and made a medallion for a child or a niece or nephew. Eight or nine years ago I dug a silver coin from the same area of the world that had been tapped into a ring - it is really cool to find coincidental connections to history.

1945_eindies_medallion.jpg

I also found 3 wheaties (1956, 1956, 1957) and a Missouri tax mill. I've only covered about 1/5th of the region (in 90 minutes), so I'd almost bet that some silver will be found before I get that green spot finished.

wheaties_01.jpg

I little side note... I found a medallion at the same school yard last weekend. On the weekend previous to that, I found yet another medallion with the Deus. Here is what it looked like:

medallion_01.jpg

I could get use to digging stuff like these medallions every time I get out :) No changes to my hunting program - still rolling with my 5-tone easy mode program.

Nice work, and great spot. Very cool connection to your earlier find, and I love the medallions.

I've been working a park that is in the middle of an urban neighborhood, and is broken into various sections by the city streets. So I've been attacking different areas trying to find the most promising spots to focus on. Today I worked a new area, and came home with $1.93 -- with one Sacagawea coin, my first! It's a 2000 D. Also, one 1953 wheat penny Still no silver from this park, and almost all of the finds were in the top 1" or so. That wheat was about 4" down, but it sounded so good and rang in the low 90s (12 kHz "true" reading), that I chiseled my way down. Glad I did. And I did get about 0.2" of rain last night, but this park, only about a mile from my house, had clearly not gotten any.

By the way, most of the (many!) pennies I found yesterday were from one huge spill just under some large mulch. At least 30 of them were in there along with a couple of dimes and a nickel. Once I was in there I just kept rooting around with the propointer. When I thought I was done, I'd swing the Deus over the area, and find another little cluster I had missed. It was probably a 4' sq area.

Take care,
Rich

I hit every tree I see at any location I hunt! They are great places to find coins for people "sitting under them to cool off" from days past!:thumbup: Some of my oldest coins have came from under old trees,in parks,school yards,ect.