Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

You are not gonna believe this.

IBdiggin

[attachment 264213 P4270007640x480.jpg][attachment 264211 P4270008800x600.jpg]About 2 months ago I bought an ACE 250 because I heard they were very easy to learn with and everyone in my family was totally new to detecting. My grandson and my wife both seem very interested in detecting. So I spent about 30 to 40 hours with the 250 so I could help them get started. Then I found a good buy on an F70 even though I was originally interested in an F5, I couldn't pass up the F70. So today I finally got the better half out in this rural, trashy, nasty wishin I had a sniper coil, PARK. I showed her the basics of the 250. I explained how when things get a little jumpy that it's probably lying to you, it's more than likely junk, you know. Keep in mind this place is so full of tabs and foil that you can see it lying around in some places. I can tell some of you already know where this is all goin. I'm over here finding pull tabs and foil, mixed in with a bottle cap or two when I here from behind the outhouse, "Larry , you better come over here". She's over there pullin the dirt off of this ring. A RING. First time hunting. Like not more than 45 minutes into it. A RING. Not funny enough yet? She says, " I get all these weird beeps over here like there is a whole bunch of stuff here but that can't be can it"? I says " you tell me , your the one with the ring". We dug about a 75 cent clad pocket spill not two feet from the ring. I don't know for sure what this ring is. It rang up a 73 on the F70, and super solid all day long dime no matter how you crossed it on the Ace. A magnet will slightly attract it so it isn't solid silver. It is about the size of a dime. Is it stainless or what? Oh and by the way, I got skunked by the wife. But I still win cause she is totally hooked HH---------Larry

And I just ordered my wife the Fisher F2...I guess I know what I have to look forward to; competition for the F5~~~ LOL

Cool find! Well done IB's wife! :clap:

HH
Jake

n/t

What a great day! She got to unwind a pocket spill too! Really cool finds!:clapping:
Mud

Any body know what this is made of? A strong magnet will only slightly wiggle it on a smooth surface but still it comes in at 73 on the F70. There is some corrosion on the top at the flat spot where there are some letters but can not make them out. Also the marks on the edges are also tarnish or something as apposed to being dents. Anyone know what I should clean it with? I can" see any stamps on the inside-----Larry

Hi IB
You should be able to buy silver cleaning liquid, just drop your ring in and leave it a few hours, it should bring it up like new! Can you see any hallmarks on the inside?
Regards
Foggy

Great story and find for your wife. If it is silver, there should be some marks, sterling or 925, on the inside of the band. Silver usually cleans up quickly and nicely with a water rinse. But, whatever, good first hunt. Yeah, she is hooked. HH jim tn

IBdiggin said:
Any body know what this is made of? A strong magnet will only slightly wiggle it on a smooth surface but still it comes in at 73 on the F70. There is some corrosion on the top at the flat spot where there are some letters but can not make them out. Also the marks on the edges are also tarnish or something as apposed to being dents. Anyone know what I should clean it with? I can" see any stamps on the inside-----Larry

Interesting find! Congratulations! :clapping:

I see from an earlier post that your located in Wisconsin next to the Great Lakes. At one time it was not uncommon for seafarers with access to a machine shop, aboard ship, to make a ring out of "Monel". Looking at the machine marks on the inside of your ring it looks to be a possibility. See "Monel" on "wikipedia.org"

The rings that I have
seen were usually made from a large nut and took a beautiful shine when polished/buffed after final shaping. Wiki indicates some "Monel" if not all as having some magnetic properties because it contains iron as part of its alloy mix. And as with any metal containing steel/iron under the right conditions Monel is subject to some corrosion.

Food for thought. HH

Actually were located mid state near Castle Rock Lake. You are correct when you say there are machine markings inside. It is very small like a child's ring. It is quite heavy and appears to have some king of surface plating giving a shiny finish. About the size of a dime and VDI of a dime.-Larry

If the wife is hooked...you are the winner! Congrats on getting her interested in the hobby. I wish you both a successful hunting season!!

It doesn't look like a jewelry ring to me. More like a metal seal for machinery like a pipe flange fitting.

At first I was thinking the same thing. But then noticed there was some machining across what appears to be the top creating a symmetrical flat spot and some lettering just visable through some tarnish. Also looks to be quite polished on the exterior. I think Knarfj was pretty close on his theory a few posts back of it being a machine shop ring made of Monel because of the machining rings on the inside and only slight attraction to a magnet. Also rings up as a 73 on VDI and is very heavy. I'm stumped and only time will tell. When I get it cleaned up maybe there will me something readable on the top. Thanks for chiming in.-------Larry

Whatever you find out, Larry, don't you dare tell the Missus that they ain't rings! LOL You don't want to crush her little heart! :sadwalk:

Yeah dont break her heart!

It doesn't look like a jewelry ring to me. More like a metal seal for machinery like a pipe flange fitting.

I agree with the above quote.

I keep hearing you mention what it reads on the VDI as if that determines the metallurgy of the item you are running under the coil. In many cases it gives you an idea, but just because it reads 73 on your VDI does not mean it is guaranteed to be silver. I can run a brass button under my Etrac and get the same signal as a silver dime, same thing with my F75 Fisher.

That being said I think the important thing here is that your wife got excited and probably hooked on the hobby. Spending quality time with her doing something you both enjoy is worth more than that ring, even if it was solid platinum.

LittleJohn

I agree whole heartedly. The73 VDI was intended as information to help identify item rather than a label of what it is.. I am new to all of this also and trying to learn as much as I can. I think I was more excited than she was. I do thank you for your input.---------Larry