Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

You guys or gals ever tangle with wild animals when sweepin?

diggingFx

I dont mean ghetto park animals or pets. I get a little leary in the sticks when the shadows get long. There are lions in my area. Recently there was reported a bear sighting. No sasquatch that IIm aware of. I was once nearly surrounded by at least 7 squirrels chirpin and standing up, it was cute for about 1 scond, they meant business. I was unarmed and wouldnt wanna hurt em anyway unless i was hungry. I've been bit by a rodent before, they can make you bleed real bad. Anyway I always try to talk someone into goin with but seems there all a bunch of nellies

Nothing major besides a random skunk and one very angry Timberjay .. which is a type of bird up this way. It kept dive-bombing me while I was detecting, I had to eventually give up because it wouldn't quit until I was gone.

First I have to ask: Where are you from to have lions (possibly threatening you ) while detecting? Onto my story - I was about a mile in the woods once and heard a very deep growl and did not want to find out what it was. Never heard anything before like it. Almost like a huffing growl sound like what comes from a bear. Living in CT I know there are no grizzlies walking around but do have good size black bears. Needless to say I hightailed my behind out of this place. I have been back since and never had problems since the incident.

:rofl: sorry I couldn't help myself.
diggingFx said:
I I was once nearly surrounded by at least 7 squirrels chirpin and standing up, it was cute for about 1 scond, they meant business. I was unarmed and wouldnt wanna hurt em anyway unless i was hungry.

McDave said:
Nothing major besides a random skunk and one very angry Timberjay .. which is a type of bird up this way. It kept dive-bombing me while I was detecting, I had to eventually give up because it wouldn't quit until I was gone.
I've had a few determined birds after me, sometimes a few droppings,, but mostly it's my cat that irks them around the yard. Figures it was payback for when i was a boy with a bb gun.That Jay musta thought it was in danger. Was skunk bait once, about barfed. It's real strong up close and personal.
Midwest, Iowa these days. We got mountain lions. I had one in heat out back a few years ago , nothin like a horny big cat to stir your curiosity. Dangdest sound. Not that they want me but you never know. A huffing growl? yikes, mighta lept right outta my skin.

Yes, I heard that huffing growl and the hair stood up on my neck lol I had an inner body feeling come over me that it was something very dangerous. It still kind of strikes the fear in me just thinking back to that day and hearing that noise. Now I understand why you would have concerns living where you do. I would probably crap myself if I ran into a lion. Then the big cat would probably jump on me and crap on me himself :rofl:

[/quote]
Midwest, Iowa these days. We got mountain lions. I had one in heat out back a few years ago , nothin like a horny big cat to stir your curiosity. Dangdest sound. Not that they want me but you never know. A huffing growl? yikes, mighta lept right outta my skin.[/quote]

Don't know if this counts, but I was water detecting once near dusk in the ocean. And within a small wave coming my way was a dorsal fin. Not sure what it was, but it was moving fast and coming straight at me so I got out of the water in a hurry and stuck to the beach for the rest of my hunt.

Ive had a fox one time not growl at me but come out of its den maybe 15 feet away and stare at me but it took off when it did realize what i was. But never anything angry as of yet here in Maine.

Had a dog steal my brothers lunch, had cats and raccoons take up sitting in the front seat of my car eating my pizza left over from the drive there, have had squirrels charge me ( usually mid spring during mating season) had baby deer come right up to me within arms length just to have the mother deer movements behind, have ran a crossed snakes... the most fearful tho is finding the dead deer with the ground covered in its hair and seeing the drag marks... we have cougars and mountain lions in west central ill

Like McDave, I have come up on a skunk and a few raccoons early morning before sun-up while sweeping the beach...Oh, yes, dogs seem to be able to hear these rigs and are attracted to them, they come running up all the time to investigate...so I'm sure if a guy was out in the weeds, a bear or big cat would hear it to and come in for a look out of curiosity or hunger...
Mud

I have had branches breaking in thick brush around me that sent me running but was never able to see what was coming at me (I never looked back). We have coyotes, skunks, fox, badgers, wild dogs, rattle snakes, deer, and DFW says cougars frequently travel through our area and usually a couple a year are killed for being in residential neighborhoods or feeding on livestock. I hunt ducks in many of the same areas that i metal detect.but the scared factor goes away a bit when im walking with a 12ga and my lab. its a little more scary when all i have is a lesche and my detector.
My parents retired to Wilderness of Northern Idaho and often invite me to treasure hunt with them there. They have Grizzly bears, black bears, moose, cougar, wolves, dogs, Elk, deer, plus all the smaller animals a very wild place. they woke up the other morning to a small brown bear sleeping on the back porch. and a couple years ago a lady was attacked by a wolf while bow hunting for deer. luckily she had her 45 with her was able to defend herself and kill the wolf.
from my experience if you make enough noise most "wild" animals want to stay away from humans. the one thing i don't want to run into is homeless drug addicts. methamphetamine is a scary thing. no reasoning with an addict high on meth who is hallucinating and has not slept in 4-5 days.

You got that right NWTreasure!

Nothing for us to really fear about wild animals....in fact, statistics show Whitetail Deer actually will charge and kill a human out in the woods during rut than any other critter out there! More so than bigfoots, sharks, snakes, lightening, ticks, alligators, moose, wild hogs, and bears combined...add that to the known fact the deaths caused by a Whitetails tendency of running out into traffic and killing you that way too!...Whitetail deer kill more people than any other wild creature! Except for Wives maybe? They are your supreme danger!

Dogs, Wives, and Meth freaks are a whole 'nother matter, they are all pretty much the same, they want what you have, and will go to extremes to get it!...

To date, regarding wild game, Moose have been my greatest fear, but that was developed back when I was trapping beaver, and probably has no reference here, those damn moose dont hibernate, and tend to frequent beaver ponds where I plied my craft...they got those big old feet and will flat stomp a guy right down in the mud for no reason if surprised...sort of like my Wife but with a lot more vigor and dedication, perhaps even with less snot slinging and a finer aroma, but I digress...

Statistics show, more old guys are killed by their Wives than the errant road crossing of a randy deer, or a proper goring out in the woods. Wives also generally employ the family dog to lick up the mess they made, and call your strange demise a suicide, or 'bathroom accident' like what happened to our poor brother Elvis....So lets say 'Wives and Dogs' are really the greatest threat to the lives of Men!

Regardless, We all have death coming at us from some quarter, and I wish you all an exciting and unusual one!..:rofl: For me, I could only hope for a wonderful righteous killing by a moose or bear or big cat of some sort while out swinging detector!...Filmed for your viewing pleasure on youtube! I know its a lot to ask, but that would be my preference...My Wife and dog will be disappointed, ... tough tiddleywinks!!...No doubt there will be another 'Mr.Mud' along presently to fill my shoes they can have another go and try to get it right...C'mon Bullwinkle! Put me out of my misery!:rofl:
Mud

I had a strange dog follow me in the middle of woods isolated area first thought it was a coy dog or a coyote got my attention. He was not barking let me pet him, to funny after that I dug a few signals dog started helping me it was so funny he hung with me for a while. I don't Recall any big finds just lot of laughing both of us digging same hole!