Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Your opinion??? 2500 coil

bigealive

I have the big pro pack coil and the stock one but thinking about picking up a DD for the 2500. Do you think that I am wasting my cash. We don't have bad soil here in MN but looking for depth. The 12.5" round coil that came with the pro pack hasn't been used much yet but on my 1350 I used the DD all the time. Wondering if the DD is better than the 12.5" pro pack coil or not???? Todd

How was the DD on your 1350? I have been thinking of getting it for my GTP. I already have the 9X12. The soil up here in upstate New York is normal, so, would it be worth the extra $$ for me to get that and use it over the 9x12?:garrett:

honestly, i bought it for the depth it was claiming. It did what it said. More depth, but not good on trashy areas. I still have the coil and detector. Would let the coil go for half retail pricde if you are thinking of getting one.... sat on shelf since I got the 2500 and only used it for a month before I got the 2500.

It's onlt better in higher mineralized soils. If you don't have much mineralization in your soil as mentioned, you probably don't need one.

DD's are designed for mineralized soil. If yours isn't there is no need for a DD. The 12.5 will get you all the depth you need plus DD's don't discriminate as well as concentrics and love bottlecaps. I have a field test on Garrett's 10x14 DD over at losttreasure.com

Bill

I like double"D" searchcoils because they get more ground coverage at depth. For instance, that 12.5" search coil is only going to detect in a cone shaped pattern going into the ground with only a coin sized signal at depth, whereas the 10"x14" double "D" searchcoil will still get about the same depth, but at depth it will still cover 14"(from toe to heel of searchcoil) all the way down to it's maximum depth level, so there's less of a chance that you may miss a coin sized target while searching. Just my $.02 worth. Happy Hunting!:)

In normal to moderate soil the concentrics get much better depth than DD's and are also more sensitive than the DD's. The 5x10 is equal to a 7-7.5 inch concentric coil. So you wont get as ANY depth improvement with it unles you are in hot soil. And by that I mean anything that is over 9-10 on the GTI 2500 ground balance scale. Which is basically 75% hotness of soil...ha, that sounds funny. I dont use one unless the ground is around 10.5- 11 actually. That is the sweet spot here in Oregon where the DD's get better. But in soil that is of that hotness, the stock 9.5 does great IN SOIL. Around rocks, like a big gravel bar, you NEED a DD.

The 5x10 DD on the 2500 wont pick up small nuggets like the stock 9.5 coil will. The cut off is about .5-.4 grams. The 9.5 will get .1 pieces at 1 inch. The DD will NOT detect it unless touching tip. The DD is kinda fun to hunt coins with, its good at poping coins at 4 inches and less for fast retrieval. It will get deeper, but it pinpoints great on the tip.

Alan

Hey Jay,

Im in Medford. I Do alot of detecting in N Cali also.

Alan