Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Z-Lynk Wireless for Water Hunting:

WaterWalker

Quoted from the ATMAX user's manual - the answer in writing to my question about wireless operation.

The ATMAX can be operated wirelessly for shallow wading, but wireless operation is not possible when the detector is fully submerged. The Z-Lynk
MS-3 Wireless Headphones should never be submerged. When the ATMAX will be fully submerged, waterproof headphones (sold separately) are required. Refer to "Underwater Operation" section of this manual for more information.

The ATMAX manual if full of great and informative information about the how and whys of the settings for the ATMAX, and similarly it can be applied to the ATPRO.

The manual can be downloaded from Garrett's website. It is the BEST manual I have read on any given detector.

I had to try it myself. And YES connection to the wireless headphones is lost as soon as the control box is fully submerged, by less than an inch of water, salt or fresh water made no difference. Same as with other wireless units I have seen.Garrett Blue and GG Amphibians both worked fine on the ATMAX.

Maybe some day the bluetooth interface with its inability to penetrate water will be replaced by a system that will allow the use of wireless headphones when shallow water (5 foot depth) detecting.

Having spent 20 years on Submarines working in Communications I seriously doubt that technology will ever be able to develop a system that will allow a metal detector to be able to communicate thru water. The US Navy has tried for many years and has spent hundreds of Millions of dollars trying to come up with a system that would allow them to communicate with a submerged submarine. They have one system that does allow some communications but it is extremely slow and requires extremely high power at extremely low frequencies. Unless some so far undiscovered technology is developed we will never see a metal detector that can communicate thru water.

I was almost in the same "boat". Shore side comms with the sub world from 1965-1985. NOSC on Pt. Loma did wonders, but have not yet (as of '85 that I know of) have not cracked the water's surface. Towed arrays and SatCom, lots of fun. At lease we have detectors without tubes and ones that can "dive" 200'. Thanks for your service - assuming you served aboard the subs.

First ship was an old LSD out of San Diego. Got smart and volunteered for Subs Md said Not Qualified. Dentist said Not qualified. Executive officer said command is not going to recommend hour request.

I asked that my request be forwarded to DC and a sort time later I was on my way to New London Ct for Sub school.

Served in one old WW-II type SS, Two SSBNS ( 7 Deterrent Patrols ) and then two SSN's. We were not there and did not do what we did when we were not there. . LOL