Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

šŸ My 1st Found Mercury Dime šŸ

thepest

I got out for a few hours today... I went to my local trash lot... There used to be 5 houses there that were torn down when I was a kid... plenty of nails and can bits... with some good targets here and there... It's a great place to shake out a detector... I rolled through with my XLT first... And Pulled a cameo button...about 7 inches down... The pic is not that great... on The left side of the face... I could make out the word REGINA... The right side has a single wheat stalk... I changed detectors... And walked the same path of travel with my DFX (still learning it)... I found a couple of shell caps next to each other 6 inches down... Then I found what looks like a harness buckle... at 10 inches.... The other rusty thing was about 5 foot away... same depth... But The Mercury Dime... My 1st found Mercury Dime Believe It Or Not...was only 4 inches down... It's dated 1941... And it doesn't look like it came from the same dirt... But it did... I'd like to think I'm starting to figure the DFX out... This was a good day... For me.... 14 years to finally find a silver dime... I won't mention the pouch full of aluminum I dug to finally find one.... :bouncy:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 83
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 68
Congratulations on your first Mercury dime!

Yep...looks like Elsie Stevens to me
had to look her up... but yes... it does kinda look like Elsie... I didn't realize modeling cameo buttons was a thing... I always thought the designer just made em up... still learning some thing new every day.... :biggrin:

Attachments

• es.jpg
    es.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 45
Love them Merc dimes, Congrats !!! First of any kind are always a thrill.
You must be in a relatively sparsely populated area. I couldnt imagine waiting 14 years
to find a silver Merc. One thing about metal detecting, its all about where you live that dictates
what you will find.

Yesterday, I was detecting an old amusement park with tons of melted aluminum. I got tired of digging all those great high tone POC signals.
I decided to jack up my discrimination to 90 on my Deus and only go for the coins. When I got home I had a great surprise.
Kinda thought at the time it might be silver but no way did I expect it to be a Barber quarter !!!!! It was totally black and corroded.
Aluminum foil and baking soda helped to clean him up.

If there's so much trash, just go for the gusto and looks for the silver. You'll never find gold with all that trash to dig.

HH
Donna(NJ)

Attachments

• IMG_4903 (1).jpg
    IMG_4903 (1).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4904.jpg
    IMG_4904.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 47
Yep the mercs still fire me up. I also like recovering shot gun shells. Good hunt. Go out and find more!!!..hhrickinmi

Now you got the Merc the Barber is next!!! Keep working that area from different anglesā€¦.. surprised you didnā€™t hit wheaties first but hey, pull the good stuff first!!! Good job and welcome to the ā€œnow Iā€™m hooked foreverā€ forum!! šŸ˜‚

Love them Merc dimes, Congrats !!! First of any kind are always a thrill.
You must be in a relatively sparsely populated area. I couldnt imagine waiting 14 years
to find a silver Merc. One thing about metal detecting, its all about where you live that dictates
what you will find.

Yesterday, I was detecting an old amusement park with tons of melted aluminum. I got tired of digging all those great high tone POC signals.
I decided to jack up my discrimination to 90 on my Deus and only go for the coins. When I got home I had a great surprise.
Kinda thought at the time it might be silver but no way did I expect it to be a Barber quarter !!!!! It was totally black and corroded.
Aluminum foil and baking soda helped to clean him up.

If there's so much trash, just go for the gusto and looks for the silver. You'll never find gold with all that trash to dig.

HH
Donna(NJ)
That Barber Quarter is an awesome find.... I wonder how many pouches of can bits and pop tops one of those will cost me...
I couldn't help but notice the NJ... I'm down in South NJ... We're Digging the Same Aluminum... NJ is full of it... And there's also allot of aluminum... :biggrin: Every Can since they were invented has been hit with a lawn mower down thisa way... Finding Vintage pull tabs from the 60's and 70's (the ones we made chains out of as kids) is considered a good day... I was beginning to think all the trash aluminum in the US was only here In South NJ... at least it's not just me... It's the whole state.... New Jersey's Got It....
Other than A few parks... It's all woods and farm fields here... The farmers don't want to let anyone look for colonial stuff anymore... They're worried about getting sued... I'm glad you have some places worth digging to go to... That Quarter was a great find...:thumbup:

That Barber Quarter is an awesome find.... I wonder how many pouches of can bits and pop tops one of those will cost me...
I couldn't help but notice the NJ... I'm down in South NJ... We're Digging the Same Aluminum... NJ is full of it... And there's also allot of aluminum... :biggrin: Every Can since they were invented has been hit with a lawn mower down thisa way... Finding Vintage pull tabs from the 60's and 70's (the ones we made chains out of as kids) is considered a good day... I was beginning to think all the trash aluminum in the US was only here In South NJ... at least it's not just me... It's the whole state.... New Jersey's Got It....
Other than A few parks... It's all woods and farm fields here... The farmers don't want to let anyone look for colonial stuff anymore... They're worried about getting sued... I'm glad you have some places worth digging to go to... That Quarter was a great find...:thumbup:
I beach hunt 99% of the time, so its always new clad. We go for the gold on the beach !!!! When times are tough, I start to head inland just to 'get my fix'. The Barber still came from the beach area but lke I said, the last of Sandy hurricane debris. Everything has been rebuilt and covered over. It was a very nice surprise.

HH
Donna(NJ)