Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1-46

Narthoniel

Hello,

After a long weekend hunt, a fellow Etrac user and myself came to realize that the Etrac would null on certain silver coins. After much thinking and expirimenting, we realized that the coin pattern discriminates out certain silver. The black line in the top right when removed, allowed the silver coin to be loud and clear. The signal it came in as was 1-46 or 1-47. With the discrimination line there, the coin nulled out. I wanted to pass this along, as we had a very hard time finding any silver larger than a dime all weekend, where other hunters found lots of halves and quarters.

In short, I strongly recommend you edit out the line in the top right so as to accept all high right targets.

Anthony

Noted :thumbup:

This has been brought up before. It is a good ideal to remove the line. Also I have found that switching to quickmask and manual sens often really brings in those little peep sounds of deep coins the etrac does a good job in trash and is very stable but often I am worried about what I am missing I often hunt in quickmask auto as I like like to hear everything switching to manual on iffy targets seems to work for me HH RonC

Hello,

I saw a message on the other Forum about this very thing. Apparently the default coin program discriminates out the large silver.

Look for a posting titled "Weekend Adventure" under "Todays Finds"

Do these postings confirm there is a such a large oversight in the default Coin Program on the ETRAC?

I am preparing to buy an ETRAC, but I have been hesitating to place the order.

Thanks everyone.

Craig

Thats interesting. Everything that I have dug with the FE at 1 has been either a ghost signal or trash. Have a lot of folks here found coins with the FE at 1? Just wondering. TMAN...

Seems like sometimes the lowest ferrous signals bounce off the bottom of the screen and end up On TOP! just like the cursor moves when editing, go past 35 and your up at one! its why we get so much iron falsing with 1 open... I found out we need 1 to be open in some testing for high conducters, however I still notch out 1 from about 1-38 and 50 cond.. I guess I have to live with missing indians on edge? who ever thinks the id is more stable they way they made this is missing a screw somewhere.. :) hot rocks read 1-50 on mine so keep that notched, doubt anything good reads there.. but who knows

Iron falses in just about any conductivity on the etrac... I am finding iron that reads in the 30's as well as up in the 40's, some of it repeats fairly well... I think its the nature of the beast, you want a machine fast in iron, you need to live with chatter.. If the purpose was to make it easier I think it backfired... and I think its much tougher to figure out than an explorer... but for some reason I keep using it, so I must like something... and hopefully I can get a pattern I can use everywhere built soon.. every time I try something I find something bad about it...

good old open screen on my explorer served me well just about everywhere, only pattern I had was one to knock out just crown caps, and one to just cherry pick coins in super high trash..

I think they could have made the etrac such a fantastic machine if they only asked a few seasoned explorer users on what they would have liked to see.. but then what would they come up with next? I guess the next machine will retail at 2398.00 and give us back some old technology :)

Jim, have you been over to the mlo fourms and asked some of the users there? These guys are useing the ET all over the world in some heavy iron, i wonder how there running them?

No I think that some of them are too close to Minelab, hard to get honest feedback... one day the explorer is good, then a video of how bad it is just before teh etrac comes oput, then a video of how great the etrac is... :) Anyway I will tell it like I see it... and its not that I dont like it I seem to keep using it to try and figure it out, and it has a few good points over the explorer.. I just think it could have been such a better machine with some more explorer features, without affecting the omprovements.. but then again I am not a developer... maybe they did the best they could... But I know they could have kept ferrous multi mode, even with the majority of good targets hitting the same tone, at least you could of only had to listen for that one sweet one :) and I think iron would be lower toned more than higher, the other modes 2 tone 4 tone fall into too big a range, may as well use conductive

Jim, and i like the fact you tell it like it is. No sugar coating. I still would like to see you butt some heads there and see what they have to say.

I test all my detectors in AM and in air when I get them. I run with a minimum of Iron mask if I can. I sussed out pretty quickly I would lose large silver in this program and also small lead drops away dow to the bottom left on my bad soil. If your looking for low conductors or very high ones run with low Iron Mask. I would go with what honest users have to say and not the MLO.:twodetecting:

I got two different coins at a solid 1-40. One was an Indian on edge, and the other one was a Wheat just shy of vertical. Both were solid audio hits at around the 2-3" mark. Coins on edge will read there, at least for my machine.

Hey Anthony, I found all of my quarters in the 10-46 range and my half was close to there as well, although I don't remember exactly the numbers. But they did not read in the 1- or 2- range. Now, two or more halves in a hole may be a different thing. It may read in that 1 range. But two quarters in a hole still read 10-46 for me. Coins on edge is where I find the numbers jump to the 1-40 range, even for Wheats!!! This is in relic mode and in New England soil. Hope this helps.

We were testing with a Franklin half dollar. Burried on edge - no signal with coin pattern up. Laying flat on the ground - no signal. Turn off disc and loud and clear. Not all half dollars tested read in this range, but some did. Over this 4 day period, both myself and another Etrac user walked over many iffy high signals that mostly nulled not knowing about the Disc issue. I have yet to test the machine with the new pattern, but soon hopefully I can get some field time in.

Anthony

Wow, that's disturbing!! No signal flat on the ground?? Glad I hunt with an open or sometimes near open screen. I'll take my chances missing some targets by not getting the benefits of the discrimination program. Love to hear it all.