Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1 st day out in along time and I couldn't believe my ears

Haven't been out in a long time close to 2 years so when I went to a huge park in my area and dug a merchant on my 5th hole I was dancing a jig until the park conservation officer told me they passed an ordinance preventing the use of metal detectors in any area of the park because of all the holes left in the ground.Well all I can say is thanks a lot to those who don't take care of your holes

Its happening more and more these days. Just can't understand how or why people don't cover their holes or properly replace their plugs.

Glad for your find but not surprised by the new generation of detectorists

I hate to say it but....I think the explosion of these lower price detectors have left this hobby flooded with those that are in it for the short run and not taking the time to learn the etiquette necessary for this hobby to remain. My wife and I were kicked out of a beach area we have visited over the years-its too bad....

CTX 3030
Etrac
Excalibur II
Vaquero
Tejon
Beach hunter 300
Golden Umax

I hunted an abandoned school a couple of years ago right after one of these thoughtless detectorists had finished. It looked like someone had just filmed a war movie with all the open holes. It's no wonder cities pass laws prohibiting metal detecting on public land.

underwatermetalman said:
I hate to say it but....I think the explosion of these lower price detectors have left this hobby flooded with those that are in it for the short run and not taking the time to learn the etiquette necessary for this hobby to remain. My wife and I were kicked out of a beach area we have visited over the years-its too bad....

I agree. Add to that the television ads making it seem you can walk down any beach, swinging the coil a foot in the air, and uncover countless pieces of jewelry and coins. Or watch some staged television show where there is "roundness" in every hole. Perception is reality, whether it be to the person watching the TV show and, after buying their first detector, heads straight to the beach with a shovel. Or the City Manager who received a complaint about the park being full of open holes, left behind by some jackass who is too lazy to do it right. When they close the park to detecting, it don't just affect the jackass who left the holes. :rage:
I've come to believe that this hobby will die at the hands of those who don't get permission before hunting, and those who don't respect the property where they are detecting. Two very simple steps that would save a lot of frustration, and could save the hobby. JMHO HH Randy

Digger said:
I've come to believe that this hobby will die at the hands of those who don't get permission before hunting, and those who don't respect the property where they are detecting. Two very simple steps that would save a lot of frustration, and could save the hobby. JMHO HH Randy

Randy,
I'm afraid you're absolutely right.
We live in a "short attention span/immediate gratification" world now, and being careful and cleaning up afterwards isn't even on the radar of some of these noobs.

:(
mike

You are absolutely correct about instant gratification etc.
I've also noticed on many occasions soiled diapers left in parks or parking lots not more than 10 feet from a garbage can.
Somebody else can clean up after me is their attitude.
Drives me crazy since I usually put candy wrappers in my pocket till I pass a garbage can!!