Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10.5 7.5 khz shoots deep!

SandPhantom

Bought a used coil from Richard and this thing finds things DEEP! Hunted some schoolyards that were fairly clean of trash and allowed some high sensitivity. Found pennys and dimes deeper than my lesche is long. Found some old copper items that sounded off good but required some time to reach them. This coil is serious!

Too bad it is so heavy. I got one recently and was surprised by how heavy it is compared to the other X-terra coils I have. Seems like they re-used an explorer coil housing instead of creating an X-Terra style coil. Using it kind of defeats how light the X-Terra is other wise. Too bad they couldn't make the coil as light as the 10x5 HF DD coil.

One positive thing about its weight is that for me it keeps a level sweep with minimal tilt. It also stays low and my swing is slower. It is heavy but to me i dont notice it due to the tones keeping my mind occupied. I use 99 tones option so im concentrating on the variations.

I've got the 10.5 7.5khz and it is super deep, but I rarely use it due to the weight. The elliptical that was part of my package I thought I'd never use. But I've found more with it than all the other coils combined. Don't know why, but it works great for relics and coins.

That's the only coil I've used for the past 3 years because of it's great depth that it gets in the hot ground that I have a round here. I like the bigger size because I can cover more ground in less times. I use a swingy thingy because of my back problems so that helps offset the weight of the coil. The swingy thingy can be a pain in the but sometimes but I can't MD with out it.

I was going to completely stop posting on all the many Forums I was on, as the long typing was causing me phsycological stress and I was drinking extra alcohol to componsate for this stress. I was also not responding to the many PM's and E-mail messages as they were too overwhelming. A love-hate thing. Love the Forums and messages-hate typing. I have decided to keep things short, few and far between instead.

In the past there have been lots of great outstanding depth reports about that coil.

A person can use a bungee cord, and also it has been said to put the 10.5" DD on backwards and/or put the middle shaft on backwards to compensate for the coils heavy weight.

Too bad it is so heavy. I got one recently and was surprised by how heavy it is compared to the other X-terra coils I have...Using it kind of defeats how light the X-Terra is other wise.

I've got the 10.5 7.5khz and it is super deep, but I rarely use it due to the weight.

I use a swingy thingy because of my back problems so that helps offset the weight of the coil.

I give Minelab credit for good quality products BUT yes, a bad move by Minelab to put out such a heavy coil on a lightweight machine, defeats the whole purpose. What were they thinking!? Are they going to in the future and why doesn't Minelab make some type of large size round 10.5" or 11" lighterweight Slimline or Pro DD coil for the X-Terra series? Any sense in asking them?

xwyokid said:
Is the 10.5 heavier the the 3KHz?

Like a brick to a feather.

Hey hey, I am a former Quattro user now using an x-terra with the 10.5 DD 7.5 khz coil. Its a heavy coil for sure but still better than what I was used to. I myself think they should have the ears be more centered on the coil, couldnt hurt. I like that I can hunt without needing the pinpointe function even to size the target. HH L8R

HL

Most people find that concentric coils are easier to pinpoint with than DD coils since the coil patter comes down to a point with the concentric while the DD has a blade like pattern that is hot thru the length of blade.

I've still got my Explorer XS and although the 705 is lighter than it is even with the 10.5 MF DD coil on it, it is still too heavy for a machine that was designed to be and is marketed as a light weight machine.

Personally I like the PP mode on the XTerra 705 and use both of them especially when I am trying to pick a good target out of 2 or 3 junk ones. Since you still get target ID info in PP mode you can check the composition of each adjacent target and find out which one is which. I just picked out a nice flower button from among 3 nails just last Saturday using PP mode and nailed it right in the center of plug even though there was 2 nails in the edges.

In any case Minelab made other DD coils for the X-Terra such as the 10x5 HF DD coil and they made them light. There is no reason why they couldn't have made the MF DD coil as light as the HF coil. I have a Tek T2 as well as my 705 and that has a great 11 inch DD coil that is as light as the other X-Terra coils so again there is no reason they couldn't have made their MF DD coil light.

Anybody ever tested that coil for depth on a glass jar full of silver coins? My other coils are good on depth but I'm wondering if I need this coil before I get the 3khz...seems like it would be better? I'm mainly interested in it for cache hunting and not necessarily swinging it all the time.

Using the coil with the best detection depth depends on the ground phase setting required at your site. There are some who say the 10.5 kHz coil is the deepest X-Terra coil available. And I have no reason to doubt that, in their sites, it is. But in my moderately mineralized soil (Ground Phase reading of 30 or greater), the 9-inch concentric hunts deeper than the 10.5 inch DD.

To answer your specific question regarding depth on a glass jar full of silver coins, I would suggest that either would be fine. And in any of the three frequencies. I suppose if you got down to splitting frog hairs, one frequency may be a bit better than the others just as one coil design may be better. But without knowing the soil conditions, and what type of lid is on the jar, it's tough to guesstimate. I'd suggest hunting the area where you think the coins are buried, with the coils you have. The jars of coins that I've heard about have not been deep enough to require specialized equipment. Just a working knowledge of what you have and what it is that you are looking for. JMHO HH Randy

I agree with Digger.------- I bought the 10.5" DD @ 7.5kHz because I like the DD configuration, but due to it's weight, I seldom use it. - IMHO, Minelab hit the nail on the head the first time around with the 9" - @ 7.5, a good lightweight all around coil. -------. While all the coils are good, and in certain soils and conditions, some will outperform the others, I do not think there is a "one size fits all" coil. Every single piece of hardware on the space shuttle was a compromise, weight vs. necessity, I think that also applies here.... I don't want to sell the 10.5, but it's uses for me are few, and far between.

I understand completely, and the variable nature of caches will always be a wild card I guess! Can you tell I have some money burning a hole in my pocket? :detecting:

My ground was in the 27 range. It was a school yard that was fairly clean of trash or it could have been the narrow band of the detector in relation to the concentric. I have a park that is full of targets and the soil usually is 38-46 that I want to test on. Again, the weight doesn't bother me. No pain, no gain. Out of my collection of coils this stood out and I have hunted this place before a little further down with my go to coil which is the stock 9". I agree with most of the post that Minelab could have made it lighter. But, in my area and the conditions of the soil, this thing had me digging deeper more than I ever have. I'll let you know how it does in a trashy area with higher GB conditions.

I read a post concerning pinpointing. I usually pinpoint with the detector in several directions and then place a screwdriver where the decal is in relation to the ground. The object usually will be just shy behind the label as it seems with my particular coil. My 18.75 Khz 10.5" doesn't pinpoint as good and I'm working out the sweet spot on it. With my 9"concentric I can usually get close with my screwdriver and sometimes even hitting my target with it. I also use the Garrett pinpointer and with the 7.5Khz 10.5" coil I found I had to dig for a while before the target would even be picked up. Never had this with my other coils. The other observation is I'm going to have to learn the lift height to determine large objects like cans that are real deep. I used to be able to lift and after a distance could determine it was something I didn't want to dig. This coil masks the object due to its depth potential...as it seems to me anyway?

Seems to work great for me and I'm happy with it. I don't proclaim to be a pro or am I marketing this coil. I'm saying it works really good compared to my others and as you know, each has its specialty, and use where it shines. Hope this helps?

HH

One tip I would offer on pinpointing with a DD coil is to X over the target as you are currently doing. Continue to move the coil back and forth, and at the same time slowly move the coil toward you. When the audio tone drops off, the target should be located under the front tip of the coil. JMHO HH Randy

Thanks Randy! I'll try it next time out.