Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10 metre tidal range, where should I search?

Merlin cadogan

Hi guys, here in the uk where I live there is a 10 metre tidal range. The top of the beach above the high tide line is soft sand. I've found a gold necklace there for a family who lost it the same day. I find coins in the soft sand. Below the high water line the sand is hard packed. I've found a few coins there. They look like they've been there some time. Can anybody advise me where the best place to search would be? The tide goes out miles. The families sit in the soft sand at the top of the beach. People don't swim much, there are boats moored from mid to low water. This beach is very popular with families, and has a posh hotel by it. Most of the beaches here are similar in that the tide range is massive. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Merlin :)

"The families sit in the soft sand at the top of the beach. People don't swim much, there are boats moored from mid to low water. This beach is very popular with families, and has a posh hotel by it. "

Looks like your answer is in your question Friend!

Ya get the most return for effort expended where people concentrate their numbers the most and less return as you move away from that area.

GL&HH,

CJ

Thanks CJ, I guess you are right!? I was wondering if the massive tide would drag the lost stuff down to low water or down that way....

Merlin
Check around any old pillings still sticking out of the mudflats. These would look like telephone poles poking up from the mud/sand. Also around any piers, causeways etc. Where the moored boats are "high and dry" during low tide, remember the spots, and check them during low tides when aforementioned boats are at sea, boaters drop stuff to and it may no longer be eye visible to them by low tide. Research old photos of the area of interest, back in the day there may have been a structure no longer in existance, but the goodies underneath might still be detectable.
30 meter tides, sounds almost like my place, Bay of Fundy, highest tides in the world!
Have fun and always be aware of when the tides coming back in.
Cheers

Hi there clamdigger60,
Thank you for those words of wisdom, I will take your advice. There are some old poles that stick up at a different beach so I will check them next time I'm there.... 10 metre tides here, it actually does go out for nearly a mile on a spring low! I found a spoon today, near a mooring, do you are right about the boaters dropping stuff! Good luck to you sir :)

Yes, where the people go.

While I wasn't metal detecting at the time, I spent 4 years in the UK and remember the incredible tide movement. Every year would hear of someone or a group of people getting caught out by the tide and drowned.

Visited Blackpool several times and observed many people digging razor clams; dug a few myself. Would be out from the soft sand but not way out; maybe 50 meters at the most. Always an opportunity to drop something while retrieving clams. Best to watch the beach and see who does what and where. Nothing beats knowledge of the area you are hunting.
Cheers,
tvr

Merlin cadogan said:
Thanks CJ, I guess you are right!? I was wondering if the massive tide would drag the lost stuff down to low water or down that way....

Generally my reply will cover hunting in my area very well as there are none of the pilings etc clam digger mentions or tides such as you are referring to.

He offers you great insight into the kind of hunting you are doing.

GL&HH Friend,

CJ

You say you have found a few coins in the hard packed sand below the high tide line. If you still have those coins, it might be worth checking the dates to get some idea of how long they might have been there. It is quite possible that during extra high tides that lost stuff does get dragged down below the normal high tide line, and this stuff can get dragged back and forth and along the beach unless/until it gets caught by something like rocks (or piers) etc.
While it is common sense to detect the soft sand regularly, occasional forays below the high tide line could be quite profitable, possibly depending on how many other people detect there, and now often. All the best, HH

Hi furious T, I found an 1813 silver sixpence and a thrupenny bit in the hard pack. The tide had washed away some of the sand after a storm on that day, so I guess I was searching 'old sand'...... Thanks for the post, good luck :)

Hi Merlin, Yep, detecting that wet sand after some sand has been removed can produce all sorts of thing, and as you've already discovered, older things. Keep at it and you will do well. HH

Please tell us where the Tides goes out for miles and some pictures.I haven't seen any tides like that since I was Visiting Mexico with my neighbors that lived in Tucson,Arizoina. all I remember is that the Indians used to ride their Pony's to school -goldnugget-Charlotte,North Carolina

Goldnugget
Google Maine coasts, Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. These are areas in N America with "HUGE" tidal reach or depth. Bay of Fundy is claimed to have the highest tides in the world. British Ilse's have impressive ones to, if the shore is shelving or shallow it will offer miles/kilometers of exposed sea bed during the low tide. Near shore this area can be target rich depending on human use history.
If your considering searching this type of beach area please: everyone learn to use a "tide table" and pay very close attention to it and the time. There has been far to many avoidable tragedies due to tide entrapment and drowning. Quicksand and deep sticky mud are other hazards to beware of to. Having said all that, low tide flats can be very enjoyable/fun, lots of space so should not have any crowd issues.
Cheers

Hi gold nugget,
For some reason I can't post pics on this site, but if you search online for westward Ho! Saunton sands or Woolacombe then you will see what I'm talking about! The tidal range is over 10 metres. Lots of kite buggies come here from far away to take advantage of the massive flat sand at low tide. Thanks for your post, good luck :)

guys check out malcolm potters you tube site (blackpool beach) to see some idea how far the tide goes out ! whe the tide comes in it comes half way up the promanade wall and sometimes over it in storms. HH. steve